Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Jasper Hale

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

Openhome wrote:I also think that perhaps Jasper had finally been able to see himself as one of the heros in the end. Yes, Alice was the lead, but he had been willing to die for his family, to return to almost certain death, and had, in his mind, earned his place at last.
I think your right, because of the fact that he has always seen as 'on the outside.' of the family, even Bella sees that. But that was not really apparent in Twilight, as they stick together as a Covern pretty well anyway. I think that Jasper always felt that he had too much to make up for to not be in the family fold properly- which was a shame, he didnt choose his life, it wasnt his fault.

For him at the time, it was the only way to live because he didnt know any different. But I think that in the end, he chose his side and protected his adopted family in BD.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

* * * MIDNIGHT SUN SPOILER * * *

I wonder if part of Jasper's feeling more "central" to the family at the end of Breaking Dawn -- more than before the showdown with the Volturi -- was how secure he felt the environment was for Alice. You may remember in Midnight Sun how adamant Jasper was that he would not allow Alice to live in the slightest danger. Perhaps he was not 100% convinced the Cullen family was up to a major challenge, and that he might have to take Alice away for her own safety, so he held back just the tiniest bit. After the showdown with the Volturi, however, he realized that his "family" was more than a match for whatever was out there, and he could relax and just enjoy the being a Cullen (or rather, Hale!), knowing that Alice was completely safe.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

^^ I agree with that.

Jasper seems to me, to at the least be a very protective character, and the things that he does love are under this fierce protection. Because of the way he senses feelings, I think that He could tell what could be threatening and what may not be so.
Maybe he is fiercly protective of Alice after what happened to all the vampires he saw. They were mostly all either ripped apart or died in battle and after a while he must have started to believe that all vampires were like that- and still does not completely trust all the vampires around himself and Alice. But he seems to trust Alice alot, even after the two years they were together and she was one of the only rational vampires he had ever met, and yet he let her drag him to a new unknown covern of vampires she had seen in a vision. Thats love.

It changed him in a way, because I can imagine him being very withdrawn and quiet before he was changed, but with the things he had to do- that were at the time nessasary- but he now could probably see that they could have been resolved in another way. He is complex in my opionion, he doesnt just think in one certain way, situations matter, for example in Bree Tanner, [mod edit to invisible font:] he feels that she might be a threat to the family and Alice and is immediatly prepared to kill her even as she has surrendered- and the way in New Moon that Alice would not tell him where she was going as he would follow and avange her. He knows when to follow orders, like in New Moon when he does not feel like going back to Bella is the right thing, but you know the person he trusts the most is Alice, shown in BD when they leave and he does not question it. Maybe he thinks that because of his past and his guilt that he does not deserve to be in the Cullen family fold, or maybe because he is quite quiet that he likes to stick to the outsides. I think it is personal choice before then that he is not he central family as Alice is accepted.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I view Jasper as less complex than you do, Total Twilight Fan. In general, guys are more straightforward than girls, which is why I think there's a simpler explantion for Jasper letting his guard down more at the end of Breaking Dawn and appearing more central to the family than Bella was accustomed to seeing him.
Total Twilight Fan wrote:I can imagine him being very withdrawn and quiet before he was changed.
Jasper had a very compelling personality before he was changed . . . charismatic, I think his father said . . . and that would be hard to detect if he was withdrawn and quiet. I see him as relaxed and gentlemanly, though. Is that what you meant?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

If you don't mind everyone, let's keep references to Bree's novella to the Bree forum for a couple of weeks. We're not making a month-long embargo of this like we did with the main books of the Saga, but at the moment we ARE asking people to avoid posting Bree spoilers on the main boards. (See our "No Spoilers!" Announcement). Thanks for being thoughtful about this.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Esme echo wrote: Jasper had a very compelling personality before he was changed . . . charismatic, I think his father said . . . and that would be hard to detect if he was withdrawn and quiet. I see him as relaxed and gentlemanly, though. Is that what you meant?
That is what I meant, as I think he could be when he wanted to, but for the most part was quite quiet and very traditional if you know what I mean?
TheLionsLamb
Settled in Forks

Post by TheLionsLamb »

In Eclipse it was interesting to learn about Jasper's past even though he is not my favourite character in the whole series.
But think his power is very interesting and quite helpful.
TheLionsLamb
Image Image Image
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Jackson Rathbone says about Jasper

“Jackson Rathbone

Character: Jasper Hale is the adopted son of Carlisle and Esme, adoptive brother of Edward, Emmett, and Rosalie, and husband of Alice.

Back story: In “Twilight,” Jasper is pretty low key — until he helps Emmett rip James, a vampire on the hunt for Bella, into pieces. In “New Moon,” Jasper’s rookie status as a vegetarian vampire is demonstrated after Bella gets a paper cut while opening a birthday present; he’s overcome by his thirst for her blood and tries to attack Bella, leading to Edward’s to separate the clan from bella. His years as a fighter before he met the Cullens are put to use in training the family for battle. He also votes in favor of transforming Bella into a vampire.

Favorite “Eclipse” scene: “I paid [screenwriter] Melissa Rosenberg to write in a scene where Alice kisses Jasper. I see my bribed pay off,” Rathbone says.

Where is Jasper 100 years from now? “Jasper would be right behind Alice; wherever she is, he’ll be there.”
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I absolutely adored that statement. He really has a strong grasp of Jasper's relationship with Alice. I am really looking forward to them kissing and being affectionate on screen.
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

SPOILERS.

I thought that Alice and Jasper in Eclipse were gorgeous, they are my favoorite couple and Jasper is amazing. The way he spoke of Maria, was heartbreaking, but it was as if Alice was something completley different, she blocked everything out and was just there in her complete love.