A discussion of the novella The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Re: Discrepancies

Post by December »

Thanks, Andy. Nice save. I'll go with that... (*grin*)
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I don't think the intent was to show a vampiric way of noting prey, but rather Edward's devotion. Of all the heartbeats out there, hers stands out to him. Hubby works in cardiology, and unless there is a serious issue, all heartbeats sound the same. (I asked)
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

My comment isn't about Edward's devotion (that passage happens much later in the series, in EC IIRC, anyway). It's about how three nomadic, human-feeding vampires completely missed hearing the heartbeat of one human (whose heart was probably beating faster than usual because of the danger presented in the situation) among another group of vampires (which happens in TW).

Add to this the fact that James is a superb tracker, and it just rolls downhill.
andypalmer
Learning to Love Green

Post by andypalmer »

OK, OK, I'll give in and give the real answers.

Edward can recognize Bella's heartbeat because it's ROMANTIC.

The "Hunters 3" couldn't hear Bella's heartbeat because of PLOT DEVICE.

That said, the other reasons are FAR more interesting to read and write :-D
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Andypalmer wrote:OK, OK, I'll give in and give the real answers.

*giggle*

Don't you love fandom?

But ok, so I don't have to hit myself with my own brolly for IM-posting on a serious thread....

Openhome wrote:Hubby works in cardiology, and unless there is a serious issue, all heartbeats sound the same. (I asked)

hahaha.

(*pictures queer look Openhome gets from husband*)

That's a good point. But I do see the Ring's thought that human hearbeats would probably sound different from chipmunks -- and you'd think that would arrest their attention.

I'd suggest that this whole cacophony of mammalian heartbeats, human or otherwise, might be something they just get used to screening out as background noise. Rather the way that (unless you're an ardent -- and focussed -- birdwatcher) you'll merely think to yourself "birdsong" when you walk in the forest, without stopping to ask yourself which bird it is you're listening to. In which case, until they scented Bella, they just wouldn't notice -- the same way that we don't stop to notice a rare bird until it flashes spectacularly across our field of vision.

....Nah.

On balance, I'll go with Andy.

Plot device.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

andypalmer wrote:OK, OK, I'll give in and give the real answers.

That said, the other reasons are FAR more interesting to read and write :-D
:evil: Spoilsport!!
December wrote:[
(*pictures queer look Openhome gets from husband*)
Oh, yeah. He has his own special, "Do you know how much I hate your stupid Twilight questions?" look. In fact, my whole family has it. Actually, I get it from pretty much everyone I know. :D

On a side note, it is a REALLY good plot device.
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

I'm re-reading Eclipse now and I've read Bree's story already. And now I'm noticing time problems.

Edward tracked Victoria to Texas. And it happened between September to April/May- which means 7/8 months. Which means that Victoria has something like 5 months tops to make a newborn army. But she created Reily who is mature and even Deigo is 11 months. And Victoria created them. It doesn't fit with the time...
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

The girlie-wolf wrote:I'm re-reading Eclipse now and I've read Bree's story already. And now I'm noticing time problems.

Edward tracked Victoria to Texas. And it happened between September to April/May- which means 7/8 months. Which means that Victoria has something like 5 months tops to make a newborn army. But she created Reily who is mature and even Deigo is 11 months. And Victoria created them. It doesn't fit with the time...
Only if you assume that she created them after leading Edward on a wild goose chase.

She could have created either one prior to that event.
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

Doesn't Bree mention that she is one of the older ones? When I read Bree's story, it seemed to me that the newborns were all less than 6 months old. Not only that, Victoria was still killing most of them when she made Bree, so it seems to me that she had just begun to be successful at making a full army.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Bree was 3 months old, and considered herself one of the older newborns. That means nearly all of Victoria's army was extremely fresh caught. There should have been just enough time to make them, and she could have made some coming up from Texas and just left them with Riley.