General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
iloveshineeKEY
Settled in Forks

Re: Twilight books editing errors?

Post by iloveshineeKEY »

In Twilight, Bella says that Edward's chest is incandescent. If something is incandescent, then it is so hot that it gives off light.. if Edward's an ice block, how can he be glowing from heat?
The word chagrined is also used several times, and I don't think that's actually a word, chagrin is a noun but it can't be used as an adjective. (correct me if I'm wrong)
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

It says iridescent, which means luminous or seeming to alter the light. Chagrined is a verb. Chagrin is the noun. It means to be embarrassed or distressed usually about a failure.
Melody
Learning to Love Green

Post by Melody »

Ive never really noticed any mistakes - you are all very perceptive :lol:

Team Edward - because real men sparkle ;)
Trainee in "Emmetts Demolition Crew"
Tiger_kitten
Wandering Through Town

Post by Tiger_kitten »

Errors in the books are incredibly annoying, it just makes me wish I could be a copyeditor for Stephenie, and then I am wisted away into a very happy amazing world where I get to read Stephenie's work beforehand, and even fix any errors (my dream job, copyediting)... And then I come back to the real world and am rather upset I do not get to do said dream job, specifically for Stephenie, which would be a thousand times more amazing. Ha ha.
pyrosis
Learning to Love Green

Post by pyrosis »

There are a couple of things that don't make sense to me... but please correct me if I got anything wrong.

Breaking Dawn, when Alice has the vision of the Volturi coming to Forks:
Everyone, esp. Carlisle is asking why the Volturi are coiming, they all seem very surprised and don't understand what's going on.
But since we know what Bree Tanner let Edward know in Eclipse, I would have expected a different reaction to the invasion of the Volturi, because Edward knew that Victoria's Army didn't do the job - now the Volturi come themselves to finish it. And maybe that's even more reason for the Volturi to kill the Cullens, because the Cullens know (or should know) that the Volturi are not playing fair. But all that is never mentioned in Breaking Dawn.

In Breaking Dawn on the battle field:
Bella is shielding all her family and witnesses. Edward goes over to Aro. Aro reads Edward's mind. BUT Edward is now outside the shield and can't hear any mind that's under the shield. Shouldn't Aro have noticed that? Especially when Bella, Emmet, Jake and Renessmee are going over to meet Aro.
You know, Edward, as a brother you are sometimes a dissappointment

Oh, never mind! my less noble side exulted

Then the jokes about the world's only clumsy vampire would start

'Bout time someone scored around here
Silver Rose
Wandering Through Town

Post by Silver Rose »

pyrosis wrote:In Breaking Dawn on the battle field:
Bella is shielding all her family and witnesses. Edward goes over to Aro. Aro reads Edward's mind. BUT Edward is now outside the shield and can't hear any mind that's under the shield. Shouldn't Aro have noticed that? Especially when Bella, Emmet, Jake and Renessmee are going over to meet Aro.
I agree with you on that. I remember Bella saying to herself after she discovered just how powerful her shield could be that, since Edward had no idea that it was that powerful, so Aro wouldn't know either. Edward knew that if people were under Bella's shield, he couldn't hear their thoughts. Aro knows that now too. And like you said, since everyone is now under Bella's shield, he must have noticed that he could no longer hear their thoughts. Now Aro knows that as well, after touching Edward. They both definitely should have noticed that something was wrong.
Thanks to Eclipsed.by.Love for the sig and avi
pyrosis
Learning to Love Green

Post by pyrosis »

here's another one:

As far as I understand it nobody in La Push knows about the wolves except for:
the wolves (obviously)
the council
people the wolves imprinted on

Why do they keep it a secret? Since they all don't age unless they stop shifting, don't they think that someone will notice, when Quil looks like 25 at the age of 40 (which will be his age when Claire is old enough to marry him). Since Sam is the Alpha he probarbly won't stop shifting for a while, so he won't age either. The others might be able to give up their wolve sooner.
And they can't leave La Push, they are the protectors of the tribe. So what are they gonna do?
You know, Edward, as a brother you are sometimes a dissappointment

Oh, never mind! my less noble side exulted

Then the jokes about the world's only clumsy vampire would start

'Bout time someone scored around here
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

Thank you so much for starting this thread! I truly believe that poor professional copyreading is contributing to increasingly poor literacy in America at large, and am considering work as a copy editor. Anyone know the salary range?

Here's what I caught the last time through BD:

(pb 399) I clutched at the pale silk that covered my skin .... (This in the context of what Bella wore immediately after first waking as a vampire.)
(pb 408) Tightly fitted ice-blue silk?
(pb 410) And then stopped when the tight satin split six inches up my thigh. (Same dress.)
(pb 423) The claws that had been so ineffectual against my skin had had more success with the thin satin.

Looks like someone couldn't decide. :? Silk and satin are definitely two different materials and the dress is not described as being a mix of materials. I think even Bella could tell the difference between them, even before the change.

Here's what I think is the biggest error I've yet seen in professionally edited and published material:

(BD pb 153) "Quil dropped to his knees - Claire screamed and pulled his hair like a horse's reigns."

Homophone lesson: :geek:
rain (n): wet stuff falling from the sky
reign (n): the length of time that a particular ruler, rules over a nation (can also be a verb)
rein (n): item used to restrain or hold back something or someone, especially as in the reins of a horse.

I believe there was a mad Roman Emperor whose horse did have a reign, but not reigns, and I don't know of any other horse's reigns since then. ;)

Most of the other errors I've seen have been passable off as typos, omissions - sloppy, but not criminal. I appreciate people posting about directional errors cause I never catch that stuff.
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

In Breaking Dawn on the battle field:
I noticed that, too. I think maybe Edward was distracted by everything going on, including trying not to make any strategic plans that Aro would then read, but with that big vampire mind that's kind of thin as an excuse. I dunno ....

One more thing for now: in NM Bella says she was hunted by vampires during her last spring break, too. This is not technically correct, as she talked to Jessica over the phone just before going to play baseball with the Cullens and Jessica said she'd see her the next day at school. This might work broadly, though. Maybe spring break was the next week, while she was still in the hospital in Phoenix. Little calendar issues ....

Still love the books. Just finished the 10th read-through ... jonesing for more! :D
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
Jeakat
Wandering Through Town

Post by Jeakat »

I've only noticed one mistake, so it was great to see all the ones I've missed!

In Eclipse, Bella states that she's had her first day of final exams while she's on her way to Jacob's house. Later, still at Jacob's house, she thinks about the fact that her high school years are behind her now that she's finished all of her finals.
I wasn’t born a compassionless shrew. I used to be sort of nice, you know - Leah Clearwater, Breaking Dawn, p.316