A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Re: CHapter 3 ~ Phenomenon

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

ella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
To me Renee got married and had a child at such a young age she kinds is acting like a young adult would since she missed out on those years which leads to Bella acting older than her age.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
I had a good picture in my head.

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident?
Typical for any parent who hears their child is in a accident. My biggest fear is losing a child before I pass.

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions?
A great doctor who cares for his patients.
5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
He never frighten me but when I first started reading this book I thought he was cocky till the middle.I think b/c I didn't know what he was laughing at or his inside jokes.I was still trying to figure him out.
Banner by TammyAZ
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
My impression was that she was a very distracted person. I don't think bad of her because of asking Bella to come back home even though she wasn't in Phoenix, maybe it was just an expression, a way to say "I miss you so much!". But it made me laugh a little.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
I kind of missed a bit of it. I had to read it again because all of the sudden, the van was going to crush her in no time, so I thought "Wait, where did the van came out from?", so I read that part again.

That it was totally normal and acceptable. I mean, his daughter could've died!

That he was a very nice person, a professional and an interesting man.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
It kind of made me feel mad. It was obvious that he was trying to fool Bella so that she wouldn't ask any questions. But how did he expect that? I was like: "Come on! Tell her the truth already!" It made me anxious.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
I felt it was a reaction a parent would have.. when she found out she possibly could have died.. its hard to make sense.. first instinct is come home! lol Being so far away from Bella, I'm sure whens he heard the news it was like 10 times as bad.. she probably wanted to see her for herself without realizing like.. oh yeah im not there to go home to.

All I could think at first was.. WOW! he's saving her!

This made me laugh! Even though Bella clearly tells him that she's fine he still has to get a second opinion from an EMT.. typical parent

I feel it was a great way to introduce him into the story.. since he is a doctor and Bella is prone to accidents, it seems fitting he would be the doctor for her first ER visit.

"Can't you just thank me and get over it?" lol I love that line!
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

A featherbrain… who love her daughter. The relation between Bella and Renée seems to be base on interdependence. Bella needs Renée as a parent in exchange she helps her to stay ground… :)

I have to read again the whole chapter before go any further. After two reading, I catch most of the essential of the thing… :)

He takes it well. Worried, doing what he can do…

I was interested by that man who needs blood and works in hospital…

It intrigued me… Bella know he lied and if he needs to lie, it’s because there more to know on the subject… :)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
fi_fi
Location: Trying to be 100 places at once while, with a To Do List that never gets any shorter!

Post by fi_fi »

My first thought was that when Renee said 'come home', she didn't mean Pheonix. To her, Bella's 'home' is with her - she just wanted her little girl to be with her. I like Renee, yes she's flighty and all the rest, but she obviously loves Bella. Maybe I'm coloured by Bella's view of her.

I actually read it through twice the first time, before Bella got to the hospital. It took me while to get it pictured in my head, but I like to get things 'right' before I go on, to save confusion later.

Completely in character, and exactly what I expected from him. He loves Bella, and was scared for her, and for himself, and as a Police Chief, he automatically turned to the professional to get an opinion/overview of the situation, as he would at any other accident.

I'm afraid I can't really remember, I was so focused on what Edward was going to say to Bella, but I think his kindness and professionalism came through.

Intrigue. I knew it was a vampire love story; I knew he and Bella were going to get together at some point, I was fascinated to see how Stephanie was going to get them to that point, how Bella was going to find out, what Edward's reaction would be when she did. Again, I read this twice, trying to get a handle on his true character, as opposed to the role he was obvioulsy playing at school.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

Renee is someone who needs a lot of taking care of. She can't manage herself in the 'big bad world'.

I think I missed some points...

I thought it was sweet, especially that he called Renee.

A young man, who is very compassionate.

I would have to chose intrigued. But mostly, I felt mad about it. I got that he didn't want to tell the truth, but I didn't get why he was so mean.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

Well, my first thought was; I'm glad I don't have a mom like Renee. But it was also a good way to see why Bella acted so mature as well.

Oh deary I read that part so fast, I think I had an adrenaline rush that it was a blurr to me. Having to recolect why Bella was so hung up on the incident was fun.

I sure hope my family react to something like that like he did. It showed he really cared for his only child.

I thought he was very kind. I also wished that he was my doctor! (I have a thing about being examined by male doctors, it creeps me out, but if Carlisle was the doctor, I probably would feel way more comfortable.)

Haha I thought it was entertaining. Trying to convince Bella she was wrong and blame her concussion for her 'misjudgment'. I would've also been persistent with what really happened only because I am a nosy and curious person.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
Idril
Settled in Forks

Post by Idril »

I didn't like her much because as a mother I can't imagine not taking care of my kids rather than relying on them for what sounds like almost everything.

I think I re-read that section a couple times before I moved on.

I was a bit surprised that he wasn't MORE frantic. This is his only child, he is a cop after all but yet she was almost killed. I would think he would have looked at the van and tried to make better sense of things. Not to mention his feelings on who saved Bella's life.

Book wise I wanted him to be my doctor. I thought he was awesome to have changed his natural behavior to be able to help other humans no matter what the circumstances or blood loss. To have compassion, to change his natural way of living to a 'vegetarian' way was nice too ... am I ahead of myself? Movie wiseI couldn't believe they made him a blond!

I liked his attitude! Of course he would do his best to change her mind of what she saw ... another thing that drove Edward nuts was not being able to influence her in any way!
Lady Idril
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

CHapter 3 ~ Phenomenon

Well it shows that Renee loves Bella and is concern about her safety. I think Renee can be a bit impulsive and lets her emotions get the best of her. She should have been talking to Bella when she was so worked up. I get that Bella almost died and that would of sent any parent over the edge, but she had to have time to calmed down a bit between when Charlie told her and when Bella called. It also seems that she thinks more about her needs than Bella's because it wouldn't be good for Bella to travel from place to place with Phil.

I think I did re-read that section.

I think his response was normal. He was at the scene of the accident and in shock. I'm suprises that he didn't want to ride in the ambulance trunk with Bella.

He seemed like a kind annd compassionate doctor. I don't get how he can be a doctor when his hands are ice cold and he has to touch patients daily.

They intrigued me. I thought Edward was being a bit of a jerk, but at the same time I thought his sarcastism was funny.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I was a bit surprised by this, to be honest. She seemed really absentminded before, I didn't think that she would be as hysterical as she was. But it was also good that she acted like that, since that's how a mother should be.

I tried to get as many details as I could, but the accident itself was written so fast, it was hard to pick up some of the details. Of course, that was the point, haha.

It was pretty typical for a father, though, it did show how much more aloof he was than Renee. He wasn't really freaking out as much.

He seemed really nice, and it was clear that he knew what was actually going on. If I wasn't mistaken, he seemed slightly disapproving for what Edward did...

I knew why he did it, but I was confused as to why he was being sarcastic to Bella, since he was being so polite to her in the last chapter. I was kind of like "make up your mind already!", LOL.