FIFA 2010 World Cup

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup

Post by Jestak »

Congratulations go to Spain for a well-earned victory over Germany. Even before they scored, they seemed to me to be in control of the game--very impressive since that's something you normally associate with Germany. I'm looking forward to the Spain-Netherlands final and the crowning of a first-time Cup winner.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
ShoTheCat
Settled in Forks

Post by ShoTheCat »

I agree Jestak. tho I´m kinda sad our boys didn´t make it :(
oh well it´ll be an interesting final nevertheless^^
ImageImage
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

The best you can ask of the third place game is that it be entertaining and strongly contested, and today's was 2 for 2 in that regard. There was some sloppiness here and there--probably due to playing conditions--but both sides gave a good, offense-minded effort. Germany, even without Klose, Podolski or Lamm, had too much in the end, but Uruguay literally played to the last gasp, with Forlan hitting the bar in stoppage time in an effort to equalize.

Now, on to the final. :)
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Half time for the final. Not too pleased with the Netherlands' playing right now- not much control with the ball, and they've essentially given it away a couple times to the Spanish.
Both sides are taking dives- a part of international soccer that I abhor. I've never been one to milk out fouls, and when I watch good players, like Robben (who's footwork is eye candy. He has beautiful precision with the ball.) take a dive, it ruins the game.
Neither side is playing well. Bad passing, lack of control, dives, and interesting fouls (Spartan kick to the chest- funny but painful.). Hopefully the next half will be better.
best_beating_heart
Frozen in Time

Post by best_beating_heart »

That kick to Alonso's chest should've been a red, just saying.

Hopefully the next half will be full of Spanish men scoring :D

TM~Maria Dina Corozzo
Teams:Alice, Emmett, Esme, Renesmee, Volturi~Athenodora, JCA~Aubrey Santi~SC
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

It should have, I agree. It looked totally cool, though. I want that as a GIF.

I'd rather see orange, thank you very much. Spain's got too many soul patches. Bleh. And Puyol's hair is nothing compared to mine.
best_beating_heart
Frozen in Time

Post by best_beating_heart »

It did look cool; I have to agree, Viola.

I love Puyol's hair, hahah :D
And we'll see who's right!

EDIT: Extra time freaks me out :o

TM~Maria Dina Corozzo
Teams:Alice, Emmett, Esme, Renesmee, Volturi~Athenodora, JCA~Aubrey Santi~SC
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

That was a horrible game to watch
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Praise to Andres Iniesta for a wonderful winning goal, and for saving us all from another Final going to penalties. He'd been looking dangerous for quite some time and finally broke through. Other than that, and a couple of nice saves by Casillas in one-on-one situations, not a terribly memorable Final.

And yes, de Jong absolutely should have been sent off for his "studs to the sternum" tackle on Xabi Alonso in the first half.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

^^Why? I mean, addmittedly, everyone played dirty, Netherlands having more fouls but Spain taking more dives (Have I mentioned I hate diving? Woosies.). But it was fun to watch. Spain's passing in the second half was brilliant, and watching Robben dribble makes me insanely jealous.

I wish Iniesta hadn't scored. He was faking a lot of hurts, the wuss. You shouldn't dive, just roll right over and keep on attacking, preferably with an angry face on. *shakes head* Both sides were wimping out, but Spain was doing it the most.
I still think Spain needs to star in a Pantene commerical.