Scenes that didn't work for me in Eclipse (SPOILERS)

Discussion of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Scenes that didn't work for me in Eclipse (SPOILERS)

Post by GrayceM »

TeamBellaAllTheWay wrote:AND, the final scene was pathetic. What the hell was Bella on about with all that "I always knew I wasn't normal" crap?! They tried way too hard...she never even says that. They got it totally wrong there. Her reason, and ONLY reason for wanting to become immortal is to be with Edward for eternity, that and nothing else. Prior to meeting him, she would never have dreamed of immortality. That's a central concept and I can't believe they messed that up!
Actually...Bella does sort of hint around at this concept throughout the series. Yes, her reason for wanting to become immortal is Edward, but in the very beginning of Twilight she says, "Facing my pallid reflection in the mirror, I was forced to admit that I was lying to myself. It wasn't just physically that I'd never fit in." ... "I didn't relate well to people my age. Maybe the truth was that I didn't relate well to people, period. Even my mother, ... was never in harmony with me, never on exactly the same page. Sometimes I wondered if I was seeing the same things through my eyes that the rest of the world was seeing through theirs. Maybe there was a glitch in my brain."
This is before her first day at school.
Then after they leave the restaurant, and she is trying to figure out why he can't hear her mind; "The only guess I have is that maybe your mind doesn't work the same way the rest of theirs do. Like your thoughts are on the AM frequency and I'm only getting FM". He grinned at me suddently amused.
"My mind doesn't work right? I'm a freak?" The words bothered me more than they should - probably because his speculation hit home. I'd always suspected as much and it embarrassed me to have it confirmed"

I agree that had she not met Edward she wouldn't have considered becoming immortal. But then, why would any human think that this was an alternative without going through what we have gone through with Bella? After meeting the Cullens, she sees that there may be another reason that she's never felt like she fit in. This is one reason that I don't like the movie Bella quite as much. Yes, she has a stronger character, and that's a plus for the role model category. But in the book, I feel like she sees herself as being quite a bit different than other teenagers. Awkward yes, but it's as though she was never meant to live a human life. Once she's turned it's almost as though she finally realizes that she gravitated towards this life because it's what she was meant to be. It's the life she finally fits into.
And she owns herself throughout the series. Yes, she does get manipulated, but she also knows that no one controls her decisions or her life except her. She doesn't blame anyone else for everything that's wrong in her life the way that has become so common. She's ultimately angry at herself for the hurting those she cares about or putting them in danger. Though she did not actively provoke the reactions that everyone around her has to her, but she still blames herself for the outcome.
Last edited by GrayceM on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grayce
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Jazz Girl wrote:MovieBella doesn't give in and allow herself to be manipulated AS MUCH as BookBella. BookBella infuriates me at times in the way she just let's Jake off the hook over and over and over and over and refuses to believe he has any ulterior motive.
Yeah, but still I would have liked to see her walk out on Jacob when he said 'You'd better be really death" because I think in the books that's one of the really few moment she stands up for herself...

the run-away bike scene...I still thinks it's wrong...because it doesn't show how Bella is totally devoted to Edward...

what I also missed as the way they showed how opposed Bella really was to the wedding...or to getting married...and how or why she made the decision to marry Edward and also how Edward keeps struggling against her when she wanted to much from him...when desire was about the overtake them...we missed every time he had to pull away, just for Bella's sake... in this movie we go from in love teenagers with a bit of kissing...to a very horny Bella...and a awkward Edward...
I missed the little building up to the moment...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
aussie-twigirl
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by aussie-twigirl »

It's good to see that the things that annoyed me, annoyed others too. Well not good, i'd rather they were in the movie, but at least i know i'm not the only one out there.

What annoyed me:
- Bella and Alice's relationship as sisters/best friends was nearly non-existent
- The bike scene with Bella/Jacob was really out of character for Bella
- The big focus on the love triangle rather than the two relationships between Bella & Edward and Bella & Jacob
- The last scene with Jacob and Bella. Too short and missed the point a little
- I missed the Bella and Edward scene in her bedroom after seeing Jacob for the last time. Particularly leaving out the significance of the bracelet with Edward saying "No Bella, it's a part of who you are" when she trys to take it off
- Bella opposition to marriage. Movie-Bella accepted the marriage too easily and quickly

While the Switzerland part wasn't completely right, i thought it fit the movie where it was. Would of been good to have the speech i know, because it's a big part of Bella's relationships with Edward and Jacob, but it didn't feel as though it was essential in the movie, imo.

I definitely think the movies need to be 15-30 minutes longer. It's been brought up in other threads in this forum, that Summit seems to keep the movies around the 2 hour mark. I don't whether this is true or not, but in Eclipse especially, a few more seconds or an extra line or two was needed here and there. I don't think there'd be many fans out there who would object to extra time if the movies were true-er to the book... i certainly wouldn't.

On the discussion of Bella wanting to be immortal for reasons other than Edward, (I think it's mainly between TeamBellaAllTheWay and GraceM). I personally loved Movie-Bella's speech in the meadow at the end because I've always thought that the reason Bella welcomed immortality so quickly was because of Edward but also because she's never felt 'normal' or fitted in, and when she discovered Edward's world she realised that she could be more. There lots of examples of this throughout the saga, but especially in twilight before she met Edward. Yes, she never dreamed of becoming a vampire before meeting Edward, but that more because she didn't know they existed. I think what she dreamed of more was being normal and fitting in somewhere, which is what she'd found with the Cullens.
TY KYM!! =)
Paige I'm on the ListV2!
Edward|Emmett|Quil|Carlisle|Alice
SHIEGE and PIEGE = TWINS *~* KYM IS MY TSB
My Blog - Kaleidoscopic Dreams
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I noticed they changed the scene from the trailer and made it darker when the Cullens run after Victoria. It was so dark that you can barely see what was going on. I hope they lighten it up a bit like the trailer.
Banner by TammyAZ
TeamBellaAllTheWay
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamBellaAllTheWay »

GrayceM wrote:I agree that had she not met Edward she wouldn't have considered becoming immortal. But then, why would any human think that this was an alternative without going through what we have gone through with Bella? After meeting the Cullens, she sees that there may be another reason that she's never felt like she fit in. This is one reason that I don't like the movie Bella quite as much. Yes, she has a stronger character, and that's a plus for the role model category. But in the book, I feel like she sees herself as being quite a bit different than other teenagers. Awkward yes, but it's as though she was never meant to live a human life. Once she's turned it's almost as though she finally realizes that she gravitated towards this life because it's what she was meant to be. It's the life she finally fits into.
And she owns herself throughout the series. Yes, she does get manipulated, but she also knows that no one controls her decisions or her life except her. She doesn't blame anyone else for everything that's wrong in her life the way that has become so common. She's ultimately angry at herself for the hurting those she cares about or putting them in danger. Though she did not actively provoke the reactions that everyone around her has to her, but she still blames herself for the outcome.
Yes, true, but in the last part of the movie Edward asks her 'So, its not just for me then?' and Bella answers 'no.' I doubt that if Edward left her she would want to be changed into an immortal. She doesn't really muse over any other aspects of immortality, apart from being able to be with Edward forever. In Breaking Dawn she does say explicitly, she may have been 'born to be a vampire,' however bizarre it might sound, but even this ties in with her love and need for Edward. Immortality is simply a consequence of her love for Edward, she will do anything to be with him, even if it costs her her life, and questionably, soul. The way they phrased it in the movie made it seem as if she thought she was better than people. She is in fact quite normal - she doesn't really possess any special talents, she is slightly introverted, but so are many people.
TeamBellaAllTheWay
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamBellaAllTheWay »

Personally, in Eclipse, the most moving scene for me was the one in the end when Bella goes to visit Jacob while he is recovering from his broken bones. There's so much tension, love, emotion, anger, guilt...and in my opinion they captured none of that in the movie. Also, most significantly in the novel, this is the scene where Bella finally admits her feelings for Jacob, to Jacob himself, in words. She says "How can we be friends, when we love each other like this?" and Jacob's response to Bella saying she loves him - "How I wish it were enough."

The movie portrayed it as a goodbye scene, yet I thought it was more of a Bella-coming-to-terms-with-her-true-feelings-and-acknowledging-them-at-last thing. Also, they didn't show how she broke down after, which made her whole relaitonship with Jacob seem petty and umimportant, a thing she quickly gets over. In the book, however, it hurts her deeply and though Edward is the one she can't live without, Jacob too is a part of her, and a very important part - her feelings and relationship with Jacob is a very important tie she has with the human world - her human world. They were best friends even before he discovered he was a werewolf/shapeshifter, so in a sense they are more equal and similar than Bella and Edward.
This was the most important book in the series in terms of Edward and Jacob's relationship - where it is most strained, in some ways most strong, and where it finally shows itself for what it actually is. Instead of wasting time showing Bella explicitly making out with Edward while Jacob watches shirtless (leaning against a motorcycle), they should have showed more of the moments between Bella and Jacob.
Also, in the book Eclipse, there were a lot of moments that Bella spent with other people besides the Cullens and Jacob that made her think about which parts of her humanity she was more unwilling to let go of, things that hurt her and things that indicated how hard it will be, and the pain and sadness she will leave behind. They missed out the conversation she has with Charlie at the end where he begs her not to run away and to warn him.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

So, most of us agree that the number one scene from the movie that ABSOLUTELY DID NOT WORK was the parking lot scene when Bella turns away from Edward and jumps on the back of Jake's motorcycle #asifwhateveryouwish... Anyways, it seems that we finally have SM's feelings on that scene. As a part of the fansite interviews that she did before the release, that was one of the key questions...

Here are her thoughts... From Twifans.com

TwiFans wrote:SM: I have heard, I have read the comments, and I said the exact same thing. That was one of those days that I flew down. I'm like the way that this you know in the script I said the way that this is written her getting on the back of the bicycle is a direct response here "You lied to me, well I’m going with him” & we were able the day of, they cut down the clip that they played for MTV and stuff, we were able to soften it. We were able to get some lines in and you’ve seen the whole thing, so you know there’s a breakaway we tried to put in….her response to Edward, and then now it becomes about Jacob. “Why haven’t you called me?” We tried as hard as we could to soften, how that went down so it didn’t feel like, something “Well, I’m gonna go get on the back of his motorcycle” because I felt like that was NOT Bella at all & it's not assertive, it’s rude. You know what I mean. It’s not like….

Alison: It’s too reactionary

SM: It’s not like, “I’m a strong female character” It’s like “I’m a jerk”

Alison: We were mad at movie Bella. (Laughs) Book Bella and I were okay, but movie Bella & I were like uh.

SM: That was more or less my same reaction. I think that in the form that it exists in the film……its better now. I think it works somewhat. I still think it’s kind of a stretch that she would do that. You only have so much you can do. That was one I lost. Early in I lost that one. You do what you can do.

I have to say, her comments, while they reassure me for BD, and they are completely what I assumed to be the truth, they really snap my teeth together. That's one that I would have fought for... it's so completely OOC for Bella. It's truly one of those moments that completely pull me out of the movie, out of the story and kills the flow for me.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

That is a little confusing to read...

Did Stephenie mean that she didn't like the scene and they tried to change it as much as possible, but ran out of time while editing? Or that she didn't like it and they changed it as much as they were willing and even though she still didn't like it, decided that it wasn't worth arguing with Summit?

I wonder how much influence she has with the movies. I know that she's been "very involved" but do they allow her only so many author "fixes" or something like that? They write out the screenplay, film the scene and it doesn't work...they call Stephenie who comes in and says...No, no...Bella wouldn't do this, or Edward wouldn't say this...unless you have the other characters doing/saying this. Then they compromise the scene to make it work for both.
Hopefully, with her being involved in production of BD, it will help fix all the major issues that we've had though I don't know how they will fix some of the mistakes.
Grayce
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Grayce~ I hihgly recommend heading to TwiFans, although I know Alphie and Pel were going to post as much as they could, as well. As I read the whole interview sequence (there are a few scenes she talks about), yes, she reviews the scripts with MR as she writes them and she is in communication with her. And, she makes it a point to be on set, particularly for the filming of certain scenes (her discussion of being on set for the first kiss confrontation is pretty cool) at which point she will offer her opinion of what they are doing or how they are handling things. She indicated that there she has to pick her battles, as it were, because they aren't always willing to give in to her. Between the director, Summit, and the other producers, they have a course they want to follow and sometimes, the reality of her novels doesn't always fit, apparently. I think what she means when she says they tried to soften it, add transitions and such, is that they were at least attempting to meet her halfway. Or, maybe one quarter of the way.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
MiVidaLoca
Learning to Love Green

Post by MiVidaLoca »

tufano79 wrote:I always thought Bella was a bit more "girly." The way they are having Kristen Stewart play Bella is more...I'm not sure of the word...perhaps "butch"... doesn't fit with the way I pictured her in my mind when I was reading the books. Anyhow, the leaving on the bike scene didn't sit right with me as well.

Also, I was really hoping that they would have put the "space heater" line and references to the St. Barnard in the tent scene.

Hugs, Josie

I completely agree. In the first movie when she goes to meet his parents she is supposed to be wearing a skirt and blouse. But she was wearing a shirt and jeans. I am honestly surprised they dressed her up for her birthday party. She was also supposed to be wearing a skirt outfit for graduation in Edwards favorite color. But she was the ONLY one at the party not dressed up. (well besides the wolf pack) All the girls were wearing heels and dresses or skirts and she is in Jeans and a button up shirt. She was wearing leggings and converse instead of the sexy stiletto for prom.

At this point I am expecting her to show up to her wedding in a white track suit. :|