General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Re: The Science of Twilight

Post by ringswraith »

The problem with that theory is that the vampire "genes" are more dominant over the human ones, at least in the sense that they have more vampiric characteristics than human (just seems to be the beating heart, breathing, and ability to eat normal food- perhaps the accelerated growth as well). Figuring out the reverse could be entertaining, however. :)

As for pets... Usually vampires are portrayed as being shunned by normal animals. They sense that the vampire is "other" and either react in fear or react aggressively. However, vampires are also portrayed as having some influence over certain animals (usually bats, rats, and wolves), so a pet is not completely out of the question. It just might take more time for the animal to trust them.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I have to agree with Rings on this. Bella said that even the smallest animals cleared out of their way when they ran through the forest. Only Jake could get near any animals. I know for a fact, my dogs would just piddle and cower because they do that when we start the mower. :roll:
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

I've never posted in this thread before but I saw this and wanted to share! It's pretty interesting...
http://crossedgenres.com/simf/2010/07/2 ... -sparkles/
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

Just because something is cooler than its environment, does not mean it is ectothermic (or indeed, cold-blooded).

The correlations the writer draws are well-put and quite amusing, but falls quite short of being truly scientific.

Still, good for a laugh. :)
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

I noticed that too--but I don't think they were completely Twilight knowledgeable, which is the reasoning behind some errors. If they knew they shattered as they do, and really "stone" they probably wouldn't have used the cold-blooded reference.
AyaDiefair
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by AyaDiefair »

I liked the article A Little Science in my Fiction. I found it really interesting that someone took the time to even research all that information and write about it. Even if it isn't 'accurate' to a Twihards standards; it is probably as scientific as [Twilight] Vampires can get. Least butterflies are pretty.

I actually learned a lot of the insect world just from reading that. And lol at the ring comment. I didn't like the ring either but I guess they wanted it to look as 'old school' as possible from Edwards era...Personally, they could've done better on the ring.

And as for the pet thing; Just a thought but I wonder if Jaspers gift (along with similar ones) effects animals. It is never stated (at least that I can recall) that it was effective against the warewolves but...can it?
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

Yes, Jasper's gift affected the shapeshifters. Remember when Jacob was telling Bella about the time they chased Victoria (in EC)? He mentioned feeling the influence of Jasper's power. I think he said something like wanting to be angry but being unable to. As for whether it works on real animals, I don't believe that's been mentioned.

And I hope that the "even if it isn't 'accurate' to a Twihards standards" comment was made in jest, because the article isn't really scientifically accurate at any standard. Sure they drew analogies that look sound, but from a scientific standpoint it takes more than a diet of blood and a hard shell to make one an insect.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

I thought of this last night thinking about my fan fic characters. Hybrids do exhibt some physical changes even after they stop againg, right? Namely their hair and nails continue to grow? If so, how would they deal with it, espcially the girls? Or are such things fixed? After all, being able to eat human food and having to eventually sleep does exhibit that their bodies change. So does such things change, and if so, how would a hyrid trim their hair and nails if they're as hard as their skin?
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

Actually, I don't think their hair and nails are as invulnerable as their skin. Didn't Meyer once say that if a TW vamp got a haircut, they better hope they like the style because there's no growing back? (I'm fairly certain she actually mentions that you could cut their hair with regular scissors.)

If that's the case, then the hybrids (who are only part vampire) should be able to cut their hair and nails like normal humans.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

I was also wondering because in a fan fic I have a character that's a hybrid, and she get "revenge" for a fellow character's misdiscretion by keying his expensive car (a Maybach limo). I was wondering if a vampire's or a hybrid's nails were strong enough to do that kind of damage (their teeth certianly are, but I think that chewing on a tire is a little below my character), considering that hair and nails are made partly from old skin cells, and a vampire or a hybrid's skin is as hard to damage as a diamond.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/