Edward, Bella, and Nessie as a family

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Re: Edward, Bella, and Nessie as a family

Post by vampirenerd »

Ally_Cat wrote:Also I had a problem w/ their parenting at the end of BD. They're all protective throughout the book, but at the end when Bella and Edward think one of them could die they have this "you die and I'll have to die too" kinda thing going on. It really irked me b/c it made me think: you would leave you daughter that is only months old (if that) without her parents? I know they have this crazy love connection, but if that parenting mode kicked in wouldn't you want one of you to stay around to watch over her. Nessie would have the coven and Jacob, but she'd have lost her parents before she knew them b/c they couldn't live w/out each other. That was the big moment when I was thinking, maybe Bella and Edward need to focus on the fact that they are real parents now.
That was just my little rant.
Ok...I have to bring this back up. When Bella was making the plans for Nessie to be safe it was because they were going to fight the Volturi. Neither her or Edward were making a decision "if you die I have to die". They both knew that if it came to a fight more than likely neither one of them would make it out alive. But at the same time they couldn't just run and leave there family there to fight alone. It wasn't like when Edward told Bella he couldn't live if she died and he would find a way to kill himself. It was never there choice in BD. Bella was just preparing for the worse.
twilighter313
Settled in Forks

Post by twilighter313 »

I was really kind of dissapointed in Edward for the way he acted regarding the pregnancy. I expected him to be a little more....i dont know, i guess caring about the baby. And after Renesmee was born i would of liked to have seen him play a larger role in parenting. I always expected Edward to be an absolutley adoring father, much like he is a devoted husband to Bella.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb."
"What a stupid lamb."
"What a sick, masochistic lion."
- Twilight

" I can't fight an eclipse."
-Eclipse
LionandLamb123
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by LionandLamb123 »

Davrick wrote:I read through it twice so far and I really didn't have an issue believing Edward loved Nessie. I had to laugh at the reaction Ed went through when Bella realized she was pregnant though. Throughout the series he's dealt with the various problems that've sprung up, from vampires trying to kill his soulmate to thinking she was dead, it's not really been something that stopped him from being able to act. Bella going, Edward, I think I'm pregnant, and he's suddenly catatonic like a normal 17 year old teenager.
I think that in all of the other events, like the Volturi, Victoria, and James, he new that they could be defeated, and Bella could be easily protected by hiding. But the baby is inside Bella. Edward knows he can't run or hide from this. He probably was also overwhelmed because, who knew vampires could get a human pregnant? Also, Bella was just puking all over the place which scared him.

:lol: :D I can see what you mean though. I laughed a little too. :lol:
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

edward was still shocked at the posssibility of him having a child in the first place so that's probably why he didn't take the reins
also this child almost killed bella so mixed emotions is understandable
fiish3
Wandering Through Town

Post by fiish3 »

Hmmm, this (having a child) really changed Bella, she became so mature and so motherly. I think bella makes a great mum, shes used to taking care of peopl, and practice makes perfect ;).
how ever, Edward wasn't as fatherly as i hoped. He wasnt neglecting his kid but he seemed inexpirenced. And jacob was with renesmee more than him.
Maybe this seemed the case because Bella focused on renesmee more than edward when she was awake and when renesmee slept she was able to be with edward.
But still i would of liked to see edward more attatched to the family rather than jacob
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Just because we didn't see or read the fatherly part of Edward does not mean it isn't there.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

spookybell wrote:Just because we didn't see or read the fatherly part of Edward does not mean it isn't there.
Well, I think that was a very important part that was completely skipped over. Instead of having that useless J.Jenks storyline, or describing Bella pushing her shield-bubble out for three pages, she could have dropped a page or two about Edward's love for Renesmee.

Instead, it came off like Edward and Bella weren't even parents. They would rather go have 'happytime' in the cottage than spend time with their daughter. I thought the fact that the pregnancy was only one month long also ruined that sort of motherly feeling.

I think it's the 9 months of knowing a little baby is growing inside you, and accepting that, that really creates that connection between mother and child.
Bella was so young; she'd never even *lived* when she was in Phoenix— her character was born when it came to Forks. I didn't get the vibe that she was "born middle-aged and became more middle-aged every year", because she came off as a really immature person to me and everyone treated her like a baby herself.

So, her having Renesmee was just weird. How can a baby have a baby? :shock:
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Amivera wrote:I think it's the 9 months of knowing a little baby is growing inside you,
WAIT!!! Renesme did not take 9 months to be concieved and birthed!!!
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ellalou73 »

I kind of agree with the general talk here about not seeing Edward time with his daughter. I believe he likely did get the time but not getting to see it was kind of a let down. Having said that however, there are a few spots that you do get to see him with her aside from when he starts to hear her thoughts. I see it as evidence that he is close to her. First one is when Renesmee is showing Bella memories and when she gets to the part about having a drink of Human blood, it is Edward who takes her until they are sure Bella can handle it. Also the part of the arm wrestling match, he is holding her then as well but I would have liked to have seen much more with her. I would love if someday SM would do Edwards PoV on all the books, wishful thinking, but it would be nice. I know I'd be ready to by them and read them just as much as I am now with what I have.

As far as them being a family I think they are close knit. Bella and Edward getting a night to themselves in the cottage was also something needed and I don't think it took away from being with Renesmee since she was sleeping the night away anyway. That she can sleep through the night gives them the time they need. I think as a family the part that breaks my heart is when Bella and Edward are hugging Renesmee thinking they are going to have to send her away with Jacob before the Volturi attack.

I'm still glad they have a happy ending, just would have liked to see more Edward and Daughter time.
elstardust
Wandering Through Town

Post by elstardust »

I don't like their whole family thing. It just doesn't fit. i think SM should have ended with Edward making Bella a vamp in the very last chapter of BD and never having this weird wild child. It just doesn't fit. I nearly cried in the middle, because I was seeing Twilight's beloved Edward being pushed out of the way for that thing! :evil:

Edward should have listened to Jacob and thrown it out the window when he had the chance. :twisted:
"The Forbidden Fruit is always the sweetest."