Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Chapter 13 ~ Newborn

Post by futurevampire »

1. Compare and contrast the Jasper/Alice meeting and subsequent love with that of Bella and Edward? Is one destiny and the other choice?
Hm. They both are meant for each other so obviously. With Jasper and Alice, it was instant. With Edward and Bella, it was very different. It took time, and they went through several stages before they got to the point where they felt as strongly as Jasper and Alice did.
2. Do you think it’s odd that Jasper has a tone of reverence in his voice when he speaks of the Volturi?
Not really. With his background, fighting for so many years, he's so used to them being what kept them stable. With his reading emotions, he would have been even more miserable in the chaos without them. It was semi-orderly because the Volturi were keeping things in order.
3. Do you feel that sometimes people in a powerful position have to make hard and ruthless decisions for the “greater” good?
Yes, if the Volturi were too lenient on people, the world of vampires would be weaker and could be exposed. It's their job to do horrible things to protect the bigger picture.
4. Discuss Carlisle’s loyalty to the Denali clan, versus his loyalty to the wolves.
He's loyal to both of them. With the Denali's, they're very close friends, extended family. With the wolves, they're not as close. Carlisle is loyal to them, and wants to protect them, but he sees them more as children, not on the same level as the Denali's. It's also different, because he's met more than one generation of the wolves. He wouldn't choose one over the other. He's loyal to them in different ways.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

1. Compare and contrast the Jasper/Alice meeting and subsequent love with that of Bella and Edward? Is one destiny and the other choice?
I loved how Alice and Jasper met.. of course Alice would be waiting everyday in a diner until Jasper showed up! I think Bella and Edward are completely bound.. they struggled and went through so many things so they can be together.. their love stood the test. Everyday Edward wants to kill her and doesn't.. that shows how deep their love it.. Alice and Jasper.. She saw it and apparently he felt pretty strongly towards her so it worked out. Their relationship is mentally deep but I feel Edward and Bella could possibly be stronger.

2. Do you think it’s odd that Jasper has a tone of reverence in his voice when he speaks of the Volturi?
No,.. Jasper doesn't see the Volturi as bad,.. he sees them as the disciplinary.. which is what they are,.. they really aren't as bad as they sound.

3. Do you feel that sometimes people in a powerful position have to make hard and ruthless decisions for the “greater” good?
Yes they do,.. if they didn't make difficult decisions then nothing would ever change or people would get ahead. That's why being a leader is hard.

4. Discuss Carlisle’s loyalty to the Denali clan, versus his loyalty to the wolves.
Carlisle would never go back on his word,.. he obviously was feeling more for them,.. they actually worked with them instead of just fighting them and have trusted their word.. which is something that means a lot to Carlisle. He obviously feels the Denali clan is like family though.
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

I think that both could be destiny, but it seems like Jasper and Alice's more so. I love that the fact that Alice's first vampire vision and thought was of Jasper and that even though she had no idea then who he was, she knew that she had to find him. I think that speaks volumes in terms of their love, that Alice already knew they were going to be together. Jasper however, subconciously in my opinion was drawn to Alice- and she was drawn to him. Edward and Bella are sort of the same, but with less divine intervention involved. Vampires mate for life, yes but its something special to know who you will end up with before you have even met them <3

No, when he speaks of the Volturi i think that he has been around long enough to have respect for them. He also spent much of his Newborn hood dodging them and breaking their rules in Mexico. I think that afterwards, he decided that he really should obey the rules they set, as he saw what happens when people dont.

I do, I think that if to save the lives of many- you have to sacrifice someone close to you or important then you have to do it.

I think that he thinks of the Denali as family, but he thinks of the wolves as almost friends. He and the wolves made the treaty and have a respect for each other as they have to keep it. Whereas he and the Denali's are very close as he obviously knew their mother or something close to that. Maybe he heard of their immortal child incident and felt pity, and helped them to be vegetarian vampires. No, one is respect and the other is family love.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I believe they are both destiny.

No, he thinks they're the 'good guys'.

Yes, they do, you can't risk everything for one (or a few) person(s).

I think his loyalty to the wolves should come first, because he made a treaty with the wolves. And, in this case, the wolves did the right thing. If Edward would've been there, he would've taken care of Laurent himself, so I don't see the difference.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I believe they are both destiny.

No, he thinks they're the 'good guys'.

Yes, they do, you can't risk everything for one (or a few) person(s).

I think his loyalty to the wolves should come first, because he made a treaty with the wolves. And, in this case, the wolves did the right thing. If Edward would've been there, he would've taken care of Laurent himself, so I don't see the difference.
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I think they're both destiny.

Not really, I think he has an appreciation for what they do considering what he's done.

Yes.

The Denali clan are like family to him, probably because they're the same species and share similiar ideals. The wolves and the vampires don't see eye-to-eye, and are only allied because of the crisis with the newborns. Otherwise, they'd remain bitter enemies.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I guess that depends on what we consider destiny. Was it destiny that Bella came to live in Forks? Was it destiny that she was so attractive to Edward? You could say it was choice, but I would say destiny was involved in bringing two people like that together. And Jasper still had a choice. He could have turned away. But he did not. So both are involved in both relationships.

No, it's clear that he believes they are responsible for peace in the vampire world.

I don't know if it's ever completely necessary to do that, no.

I think the better question is what is he loyal to. He is loyal to his word and his morals. He considers the Denali clan family, but he has made a treaty with the wolves and will not break it, especially for something like revenge, which is against his moral code.
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

-Bella and Edward were thrown together unknowingly by her moving to Forks. Their love developed slowly because of their mutual interest in each other. Alice woke up alone after being changed and foresaw that Jasper would be looking for her without him ever realizing it, their love was more of a desperate need for one another since they'd both been alone.

-I think considering Jasper's background and all the battles he must have been apart of and seen, not to mention felt, it must be relief when someone comes in and puts things back in a more peaceful order, even for a little while. He didn't experience the threat that Bella, Alice, and Edward did in Italy.

-Sometimes..it just depends as to what's leading their decisions. If the 'greater' good protects life for the majority of the vampires or people, then that's what leaders have to do. As long as it's not for selfish gain or reasons, that's what matters.

-Carlisle would never break the treaty he has with the wolves, as it would endanger their entire way of life. As much as he respects the Denali clan, he can't just break the treaty for Irina to get revenge, especially considering how Laurent nearly killed Bella. Knowing how Carlisle feels about the loss of life, he would never consider it for a second. There's something about being loyal to your friends but also disagreeing with their opinions about some things and I feel like Carlisle is in this particular situation.