General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Beautifultragedyx21
Settled in Forks

Re: Made fun of for liking Twilight?

Post by Beautifultragedyx21 »

I get made fun of alot. Not by my friends, most of them like it, but just either random people or people I don' t know very well. I got really into Twilight before any one in my school. I got into it when people thought I was talking about The Twilight Zone (What I wouldn't give to go back to those days...) And then once it got bigger and bigger people started making fun of me. I hate when things go pop culture because there is the real way and then there is the media description. According to the media Twilight is nothing but a tween fest ridden with a lot of senseless drama, hot guys, and vampires. I hate that. It's so overrated for all the wrong reasons. So, a lot of people believe that and I get made fun of for it. Especially since I'm much more of an indie person. I really don't care, though. It is something very special to me. Though I kind of wish it never went pop culture. But there are many benefits about it becoming pop culture. The biggest is the fandom. Twilight fans rock. Pure and simple. You guys make my life.
When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.
TwilightRocksMyWorld
Settled in Forks

Post by TwilightRocksMyWorld »

I don't gEt made fun of but I annoy people by talking about it too much lol

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

I flipped out at myt teacher for asking who Rob was :) I think they've all gotten over my Twilight obsession and all now that Iv'e liked it for so long, but some people aren't so understanding.

But I love the sense of family you get when you see someone on the street who you don't know and you've got something Twilight on and they have too and they stop and talk :) Happened to me the other day, when I was carrying my newly purchased Eclipse backboarded glass poster, and someone stopped to look and talk to me about it.

I think, that at the end of the day, they don't know what it's like to care about it so they don't know, but you just have to ignore them all.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
JBBeth
Settled in Forks

Post by JBBeth »

SO, I didn't tell anyone that I went to a Twilight convention this past weekend due to the fact I was worried how people would perceive me. I feel like I was such a closet Twilight lover lol. But after going to the convention, meeting amazing people, winning best dressed (!!!!), and getting the Taylor and autographed banner of all the stars, I don't care anymore. I am passionate about it and if people have a problem, oh well...I don't judge on what other people are really passionate about! That is how I am trying to change my ways and slowly come out of the Twilight closet :)
"Let's face it, I am hotter than you."
-Jacob Black
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

¬

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

JBBeth wrote:SO, I didn't tell anyone that I went to a Twilight convention this past weekend due to the fact I was worried how people would perceive me. I feel like I was such a closet Twilight lover lol. But after going to the convention, meeting amazing people, winning best dressed (!!!!), and getting the Taylor and autographed banner of all the stars, I don't care anymore. I am passionate about it and if people have a problem, oh well...I don't judge on what other people are really passionate about! That is how I am trying to change my ways and slowly come out of the Twilight closet :)
I wish that there was a convention near me :( Oh, well, I will have to sit in my room and love it all the more :D
Come on out of the closet! We have cookies!
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
Kirby Phelps PK
Settled in Forks

Post by Kirby Phelps PK »

Well I'm a guy, so it's especially hard for me.
I haven't told my friends that I like Twilight yet. Actually, I've told one, but he rarely ever makes fun of people and is more accepting of stuff like that. Plus, he enjoys HSM, Miley Cyrus, and stuff like that so...if (on the very unlikely chance) he does make fun of me for it, I can make fun of him for THAT stuff. :lol:

But as for my other friends, no, haven't told them. They would most likely make fun of me for it, call me gay and stuff. One of my friends I know for a fact thinks the series is terrible. But sometimes I just wanna get it off my chest. It's a pain that whenever I'm looking at something Twilight related on my laptop or something and my friends come into the room, I have to hurry and close the page. Also, I don't actually own any Twilight books, but I want to. It's just too embarrassing going into a store and buying a Twilight book. Heck, I'm afraid to even pick one up when people are around. And I'm usually not ashamed to like things most people think are embarrassing. I'll openly admit to loving Pokemon, Kirby, girl anime/manga, etc. But for Twilight, I keep it hidden. I think it's because if someone were to make fun of me for liking Twilight, I wouldn't be able to defend myself. If someone ripped on me for liking Pokemon, I could say "Pokemon is a fun, engaging, and strategic game. It's one of the most popular game franchises and is praised by many. Nothing wrong with it." But if someone ripped on me for liking Twilight, I would say "...yeah, you're probably right..." Honestly, Twilight DOES have a lot of flaws and I can see why people wouldn't like it. But I'm just willing to forgive those flaws as long as Jacob and the werewolves are around. If the series was strictly about Bella and Edward's love and sparkling vampires, I probably wouldn't like it.
Image Image
The Real Renesmee Cullen
Trying to convince my parents I can date and drive at age 4
Location: Keeping Jake and Aunt Rosalie from killing each other

Post by The Real Renesmee Cullen »

If you think it's hard liking Twilight, try living it with a name like mine!!
I'm not anyone's baby anymore, and I am SO not a slimy sea serpent.
Banner by TammyAZ
JBBeth
Settled in Forks

Re: ¬

Post by JBBeth »

Total Twilight Fan wrote:
JBBeth wrote:SO, I didn't tell anyone that I went to a Twilight convention this past weekend due to the fact I was worried how people would perceive me. I feel like I was such a closet Twilight lover lol. But after going to the convention, meeting amazing people, winning best dressed (!!!!), and getting the Taylor and autographed banner of all the stars, I don't care anymore. I am passionate about it and if people have a problem, oh well...I don't judge on what other people are really passionate about! That is how I am trying to change my ways and slowly come out of the Twilight closet :)
I wish that there was a convention near me :( Oh, well, I will have to sit in my room and love it all the more :D
Come on out of the closet! We have cookies!

I do love me some cookies! :D
"Let's face it, I am hotter than you."
-Jacob Black
Jaspers-Girl
Settled in Forks

Post by Jaspers-Girl »

Thinking about what I'm going to type here made me realize that this may sound like a confession of sorts. Well, here goes...

Only 3 of my friends like Twilight. To put that into prespective though, I'm not very popular (like Bella), so that's 3 of not many. My husband willingly fed my addiction (buy buying me the books and movie) and watched Twilight with me. He's not getting me New Moon until our Anniversary, so I have to wait until next month to introduce that movie to him. I can talk to my husband and 3 Twilight-fan friends, but I sometimes feel like I have to hold back a little because I'm WAY more addicted than they are. One of these friends has a very obvlious, "I like it 'cuz it's good, but I'm not getting crazed 'cuz I'm a responsible mom" attitude. She sometimes makes me feel slightly freakish about my behaviour. If I talk too long with her I start to feel like maybe, since I'm also a "responsible mom" maybe I should stop acting like a crazed teenager. My other friend (and her Hubby) are much more supportive and I think that as soon as they can devour the novels they'll be right up there with my level of fandom. My hubby also has all sorts of quips and loves to razz me on the extent of my Twilight addiction. It's all good natured, but it's one of my main reasons for joining the Lex...to have people, just as (if not more) addicted as myself to talk to.

Allow me to put my addiction into perspective. As well, as LOVING the novels and movies, I've started to imitate the style. Naturally my hair is wavy and brown (with a touch of red, in the sun). I also have long, side-swept bangs. This means that most days I either part my hair to the side and do nothing else special to it to end up with an Esme-esk do, or center part my hair, add a hairband and sport my Bella hairstyle. When I want to wear my hair up I either imitate Rosalie's braids from Eclipses newborn battle scene, or copy Jane's bun. I feel safe with my hairstyles because, unless a fellow fan sees me, no one recognises the Twilight connection.

I don't just stop at hair. I am in the process of modelling my fall/winter wardrobe off the Twilight Saga movies too. Once again, no one, but fellow fans, get the Twilight connection. Please don't think that all my unobvious to non-Twilighters efforts mean that I'm a closet fan. I simply don't wish to be a pain by talking to people, who don't want to listen to as much as I'd like to say. Also, I prefer to be a crazed fan while maintaining a degree of mystery for those who don't "get it". As much as Bella dislikes an abundance of attention, so do I. :)
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

[quote="Jaspers-Girl"]

, but it's one of my main reasons for joining the Lex...to have people, just as (if not more) addicted as myself to talk to. quote]

I know what you are saying. That is why I love the Lex so much. I feel like I do have an addiction (though not as obsessive as others). I go to the Lex at least five or six times a day just to see if their is any new news or to see if other people have commented on my or other's comments. I just can't get enough. In my little town, I feel like I am the only ADULT who is really into Twilight and not because "They are so hot." Twilight, for me, is not just about books, it is my out; my away from reality time. Dealing with stress at work and stress from homelife and daily routines, sometimes I just need to get away.
The one thing I love about my obsession is when me and my older brother (he's in his early 30's and I am in my late 20's) have a friendly fight over Twilight. He likes G.I. Joe. When I start our fight, I tell him that the vampires would win in a fight. He thinks differently. He calls me a "Twi-Tard" but I take it as a compliment.
I also like wearing my "I run with the Volturi" shirt when I go out of town. I have been stopped a few times by fellow fans. We get to talking about Twilight. It makes me happy that something a simple as a book can join so many people together.

:twisted:
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers