Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Post by Jazz Girl »

corona wrote:
As to exactly "Why" Edward goes into this display instead of remaining in a sitting position, your guess is as good as mine. I would suppose the hunting instinct has its own adrenline-type rush and Edward is compelled to act on it, burning off some of the energy in a non-lethal way.
I think you are spot-on here, Corona. He needed a release. As he finds out later, as long as he channels that excess, finds a different way to release that need, than he is more than capable of loving Bella safely.

But, I think Ginnie's point was more that being able to read Edward's "thoughts", what was actually in his head in those minutes and hours, would just be beautiful. It's one thing to understand his thought process, to see why he did and said what he did. It's entirely another to be able to see it through his eyes. THAT'S what we're all waiting for.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
twi_momof3girls
Settled in Forks

Post by twi_momof3girls »

I have read Midnight Sun several times and everytime I read it, I get a better sense of Edward than I did the previous time I read it. i also believe that it gives me more of an idea of what he's thinking throughout New Moon, Eclipse, & Breaking Dawn. We got a great glimpse into what makes him tick and, for me, that carried over to the rest of the series. There are moments in the other books, especially Breaking Dawn, that I would just LOVE to know what he's thinking when Bella describes some of his facial expressions. It would be fabulous if the entire series was done through Edward's POV, in my opinion. I understand how difficult that would be for SM, so I won't hold my breathe ;) , but a girl can dream.
It's all fun & games until someone gets a papercut!
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Jazz Girl wrote:
corona wrote:
But, I think Ginnie's point was more that being able to read Edward's "thoughts", what was actually in his head in those minutes and hours, would just be beautiful. It's one thing to understand his thought process, to see why he did and said what he did. It's entirely another to be able to see it through his eyes. THAT'S what we're all waiting for.
Point well taken, Jazz Girl.

This is the exact same scene that I would love to hear what is going through Edward’s mind as well. It is so uncharacteristic of him to intentionally act in a way to put Bella in fear for her life. I know Bella has experienced fear before, but she is able to completely subsume it most of the time; it is interesting that this is the only time that she specifically mentions the fear is also accompanied by an adrenaline rush.

Geeeaaaah! Why oh why did someone let this leak, we could have been having a discussion of the other chapters by now!

Some things I’m dying to know about:

* The scene above.
* Bella talking in her sleep that night (Edward brings it up again in Eclipse).
* Bella sitting in his lap the next morning, and saying “I love you”.
* Edward playing baseball (showing off his speed – can he see Bella’s reactions?).
* Edward’s reaction to Bella’s quick thinking afterwards.
* Does Alice warn him beforehand about the ballet studio? What is his reaction?
* Edward arrives at the airport and Bella is gone, AND he can hear Alice’s and Jasper’s thoughts while still on the plane.
* The race to the studio.
* The battle.
* Edward’s thoughts when he sees Bella lying in a pool of blood.
* His reaction to sucking the venom out and tasting her blood.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Corona~ I'm totally with you. But, in all honesty, my love for Edward, my inability to see him hurt, just dreads particularly the scenes at the airport and the ballet studio. The utter panic... it's totally going to kill me.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

Jazz Girl wrote:Corona~ I'm totally with you. But, in all honesty, my love for Edward, my inability to see him hurt, just dreads particularly the scenes at the airport and the ballet studio. The utter panic... it's totally going to kill me.

See girls... you remind me of another reason I'm dying to read Midnight Sun.

In the end, when he arrived in Phoenix, did he know right away that Bella wasn't there? Was he stuck on the plane watching the whole thing go down through Jazz & Alice's thoughts? What was he thinking in the moments before that? Exactly how did he envision this whole running away together idea? (And that just leads me to another set of questions about what was going through his vampire, but still "stuck in the 1900s" Edwardian mind! LOL)

But back to the question at hand... when Bella disappeared on them, was he really panicked? What was that like for him? Maybe in SM's head he was angry? Angry at himself? At Bella? Did he feel betrayed? I mean, why wouldn't Bella tell him- trust him? That had to hurt a little, on top of the sheer terror of it all. Then again, maybe by that point he was already having his New Moon moment and his family had to anchor him back to reality?

And seriously?? Why, oh why, did Alice not see everything in time to prevent it??

On a side note- that very Alice issue is one of the major problems I had with the film version of Twilight. I mean come on! Bella just sneaks out the side door of the hotel?? Jasper and Alice are right there!! They would have seen, felt, or smelled her even if there was no preeminent vision!! UGH! And don't even get me started on Victoria watching B & E dance at their prom! Hello??? Mind reader, remember? :x

**Climbs down off of self-constructed podium** Okay, sorry about that. Rant over... please go back to discussing Midnight Sun now. :oops:
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

I have a suspicion that at least of a small part of Edward was pretty impressed that Bella was able to evade both Jasper and Alice, because I don’t think you could have placed her in more capable hands. I’m pretty sure Edward is thinking of this event when he tells Jacob that Bella can be very inventive at times when she wants to be (I’m almost positive this is the tent scene in Eclipse).

Now that I think about it, I’m sure Alice would have devoted even more of her energy to keeping tabs on Bella from that point forward, and it would have been very difficult for her to just turn it off when Edward tells her to stop in New Moon after he leaves. I’m wondering now if this incident is going through Alice’s and Edward’s heads when he gets angry with her in Eclipse for not being able to see Riley enter Bella’s bedroom, and Alice can’t help but recall the last time her visions failed to keep Bella from danger.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Ginnie~ Rant away. I'm totally with you. I always thought of that in that moment. The only thing I ever was able to figure out as to MR's rationalization (if you could call it that) would be that Alice was so singularly fixated on Jazz and his struggle at that point that she missed it. As for Edward, the one thing he NEVER is is angry at Bella. You and I both know, while he might hold Alice and Jazz just a little responsible, there is one primary person he's going to be blaming.

Corona~ Hmmm, an interesting point about Edward being proud. I think you're right. A part of him definitely could be. But, it would be a very deeply burried and rarely acknowledged part; underneath all the love, guilt, protectiveness and irritation. :lol:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Okay, let me back up on Alice's visions failing. Actually, they didn't in the book, she already saw Bella in the studio so Alice and Jasper were keeping a very close eye on her. No failure there, it was Bella's ingenuity that got her out of the airport. Alice wouldn't have known anything more until her vision of Bella started firming up, and probably right about the time that she sees Jasper starting to flip out when he finds out Bella had evaded him.

All of that makes the movie portrayal even worse. It's unsettling how SM places such emphasis on characters, and the movie versions just steamroll over those character traits. Even in the movie, for crying out loud, Alice promises Edward directly that she will keep an eye on her, and then Bella just strolls out the lobby.

Back to Edward's POV, I would love to see it in New Moon for the first three chapters, and then chapter 23. I know the first three chapters would be very hard, but there are still so many unanswered questions surrounding the technical details of Edward leaving. When did he leave the note? Did he watch Bella from afar for a while, or did he leave immediately? Did he consult with Alice and her visions?

And back to MS. I know the odds of including any flashback scenes from Midnight Sun in the Breaking Dawn films is slim to none, but I would love to see the Cullen debate at the dining table the afternoon following Bella's rescue from the van. I guess that's obvious from my signature.
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

corona wrote:And back to MS. I know the odds of including any flashback scenes from Midnight Sun in the Breaking Dawn films is slim to none, but I would love to see the Cullen debate at the dining table the afternoon following Bella's rescue from the van. I guess that's obvious from my signature.
Corona~ I don't know that it's impossible. After all, we did get the wonderful little nod to the outtakes in NM. In fact, I do wonder if SM would use BD as a place to give us, as fans, a little something extra. Anything is possible. And I, as the eternally extreme hopeless romantic who feel for a fictional vampire, can always hold on to hope.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

corona wrote: Back to Edward's POV, I would love to see it in New Moon for the first three chapters, and then chapter 23. I know the first three chapters would be very hard, but there are still so many unanswered questions surrounding the technical details of Edward leaving. When did he leave the note? Did he watch Bella from afar for a while, or did he leave immediately? Did he consult with Alice and her visions?

Have you seen the Edward POV "extra" from New Moon on Stephenie Meyer's website?? It's only a short snippet of the phone call Rosalie made to him, but it gives some insight of what Edward went through. In my opinion, it was awesome of Stephenie to post for us! As she has no intentions of redoing any more EPOV from what I've heard, I'll take what I can get!!

You can read the extras here!