Schools, What is yours like?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
psugar
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Schools, What is yours like?

Post by psugar »

I go to public school, and it's very good, it's one of the top school districts in the country, came in second in the state next to a magnet school last year. This year it came in first for state, I have to check for nation but last year it was in the top 80.
Trainee of EDC-Let's break down some houses!
In my version of Twilight Jacob never existed!
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

My highschool is very sports-oriented. They spend all their money on sports' uniforms and other sport related things instead of actual things for the school. Its kinda annoying. Apparently (i dont know for sure) our football team is like the best in the county...state...something like that. I dunno. I really could care less about sports. I used to play basketball for three years, but that was back in middle school and before they really mattered much.

I dont think my school is the best in the state academically, but it did have the highest test scores in the district or something. And its wierd because the majority of the school doesnt give a crap about learning or grades, so i guess thats a pretty good achievement. I dunno.
silverstar
Wandering Through Town

Post by silverstar »

I go to a public school.

What I like about it is that there are only 800 students, and it is the biggest in the district. It is students from all over my town. There are also some awesome teachers. The principal is the premier of BC's wife. She likes me though so it's all good. We get free fruit or veggies twice a week, every two weeks. We have a student store where we can purchase healthy snacks at breaks and lunch.

What I don't like is that a lot of students smoke, and the hallways are always clogged up. We also have about 100 international students (aka Exchange students). The grad 8's are tiny, and the grade 9's are huge trouble makers. There are classes with no windows so you feel entrapped. We have mandatory recreational reading, which isn't very popular (but hey, I can read the Twilight saga). There is a lack of sports offered, so as a result I'm not involved in any because I don't like any that we have. Not many students care about improving the school environment. And also, due to our small size, not a lot of variety of courses are offered.
Words to live by: "If you judge people you have no time to love them"
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

My school is completely opposite from every school stated here. I am not from the States. I live in Malaysia, some country in Asia. I study in a goverment school. We wear uniforms to school(and believe me, its hideous. Go google Malaysian school Uniform(secondary)) and we are divided by our age. The Form 1s(13 year olds) and Form 2(14 year olds) are in the afternoon session( 1.05 pm to 6.45pm). The Form 3s(15year olds, that is me) , Form 4 (16 year olds), and Form 5s(17 year olds) study in the morning session from 7.35 am to 1.05 pm. And we have to stay back for extra co-curricular activities. Typical time we return home is about 5.30 pm. Imagine how tiring is it!

Our school year starts on January and ends on November. We categorize by age.
We start at primary school, at 7 years old and finish at 12. Then at 13 , we're all fished of to secondary school.

There are not many private schools here. Since I live in the city and join the country club, I know a bunch of them. They still have to wear uniforms, only their education system is different. They follow the British way.

In Malaysia, we only have prom once. Which is after our major exam , our senior year, Form 5. Its so ???

And we have loads of rules about items we bring. No handphones(unless you're in a private or international school).Very very picky. We don't have a locker for God's sake! Our bags are very very heavy! They even have issues about our school socks. No ankle socks.

They even have rules for hairstyles. No bangs lower than the eyebrows(wtf), no sideburns for the boys, no long hair for the boys, no letting your hair down for the girls(this is one problem with me, since I have dry brittle hair and just went for treatment. I am not supposed to tie it often, according to my stylist). The earrings must not be long and dangling etc etc etc.

We do not have showers here. And our toilet stinks. We do not get to bathe after PE(eww, imagine it, and it is during the 1st 2 periods of the day, means you're gonna stink). I remember the boys coming into class after PE. I almost fainted, until some kid took out his deodorant and sprayed it(thank god). Imagine how unhygienic ! They don't even provide soaps for washing hands!

I remember reading some article in Teen Vogue(US copy, I buy them sometimes),about some superbug infecting students. MHSA or something. Cause of it was because of the unhygienic conditions of gym, and students die without symptoms.

And thats all for describing the worst school system you can ever attend .
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
Caitlin...
Settled in Forks

Post by Caitlin... »

i go to a public high school. year 7 - 12. not much different from any other school in my state.
Our uniform is actully pretty good compaired to other uniforms. it is blue white and grey. its a new uniform it got brought in when i was in year 7, i am in year 11 atm
when i started there was 450 students. 80 in my year level.
next year this is going to be over 800. including 200 year 7's.
it is a growing school. manily because they are building alot of houses about an hour drive on the high way and the only schools up that way is the scummist of scumm schools and i privet school that has a waiting list of 4 years. so we get people that go to our school that some people live 2 hours away.

its a pretty good school tho, we have alot of good teacher, we also have our share of bad.
we dnt have a good music program tho which is a bummer.
from year 9 on wards we get to choice our subjects and in year 9 and 10 there is a wired range tho, maths and english is a core subjects our school makes us pick at least to science and then history, art (including visual and proforming) sport and also english and maths exta eletives. oh and technogly.

once you get to VCE which is year 11 and 12. their isnt that many subjects to choice from which suchs because if u need to do a subject because u have to do that subject to get into the college u want and it isnt running well u cant do what u want to do. but once we get into VCE we have so many priage that other year levels dnt have, most schools dnt even have there VCE students either. its mostly because the teachers trust us and dnt care what we do, aslong as we show up to class and wear the correct uniform they anit really fussed and of cause do the work.

oh yeah the other thing we have to have 90% attence to pass the stubject, which means we can only miss 7 class a semester.

and i have written alot but its about it lol
Angel_Vamp
Learning to Love Green

Post by Angel_Vamp »

I'm home schooled now but last year I went to a public school this is why I got home schooled. The school was over populated, run down, smelled really bad, there was chew tobacco in the water fountains and sinks, people smoking in the bathroom, gum under desks, and very sexist. Guys had free run of the school, us girls though, we were not allowed to talk in classrooms waiting for teachers or during free time, no talking in halls between classes, we were allowed to talk at lunch softly, we were not allowed to go down to the weight lifting room, we couldn't take shop class, and it was a requirement that girls take home ec. the boys didn't have too.

My brother in law who works as a police man says that its even worse this year though.
cassis_rose
Changing People's Minds With Jasper

Post by cassis_rose »

I’m currently studying in a polytechnic, year 1. After the “O” levels, one can choose between a Junior College or Polytechnic. Typically, students with “good” grades go to JCs but these few years, the trend is changing. Even students with quite good grades choose polytechnics, like me. In the past, going to JC means that most students will have a chance to go University. However nowadays, more and more poly students are qualifying for Universities too.

The schooling system in Singapore is very different from that in most countries. Most go to secondary schools at the age of 13 and finished at 16 or 17 depending on what course (Express, NA or NT) you take. Before secondary school, you must finish 6 years of studies in primary school. Students all wear uniforms.

Like BreathelessVampire, schools in Singapore have lots of rules, especially government schools. Autonomous secondary schools have more freedom in their curriculum and rules.

No hand phones, no jewellery, no this, no that. Long hair must be tied up for girls and guys can’t have long hair at all and must have a slope at the back and for both genders, fringes can’t touch eyebrows.

In my sec school, sometimes teachers conduct hair checks, students with inappropriate hairstyles will have their hair cut either on the spot or given a one day chance. There’s one thing I really hate about my sec school, we held our daily assembly in the parade square in the morning. Sometimes, when it rains in the early morning, we still have to sit on the wet ground. How disgusting is that?? There will be a large stain on our dark green skirts... I mean can’t they hold the assembly in the hall or let us go back to classrooms? Only if it’s raining heavily will we cancel our assembly.

Also, we do not have showers after PE lessons. Furthermore, we must change back to our uniforms after recess. We will all be sticky and sweaty and there's simply not enough time to change. Most students just wear their uniforms over the PE attire after recess.

We have Prom night at the end of our sec school year, after "O" levels. Ballrooms at hotels will be booked by most sec schools during the month of November. There's no dancing or partying at my Prom. It's just sitting down, having a meal with friends and lots of photo-taking.

Anyway, I missed my secondary school very much. :(
Life at Poly is so much different from secondary school, not neccessary a good thing.
Team Carlisle ~ Cullenist - Hail to Carlisle
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

cassis_rose wrote:I’m currently studying in a polytechnic, year 1. After the “O” levels, one can choose between a Junior College or Polytechnic. Typically, students with “good” grades go to JCs but these few years, the trend is changing. Even students with quite good grades choose polytechnics, like me. In the past, going to JC means that most students will have a chance to go University. However nowadays, more and more poly students are qualifying for Universities too.

The schooling system in Singapore is very different from that in most countries. Most go to secondary schools at the age of 13 and finished at 16 or 17 depending on what course (Express, NA or NT) you take. Before secondary school, you must finish 6 years of studies in primary school. Students all wear uniforms.

Like BreathelessVampire, schools in Singapore have lots of rules, especially government schools. Autonomous secondary schools have more freedom in their curriculum and rules.

No hand phones, no jewellery, no this, no that. Long hair must be tied up for girls and guys can’t have long hair at all and must have a slope at the back and for both genders, fringes can’t touch eyebrows.

In my sec school, sometimes teachers conduct hair checks, students with inappropriate hairstyles will have their hair cut either on the spot or given a one day chance. There’s one thing I really hate about my sec school, we held our daily assembly in the parade square in the morning. Sometimes, when it rains in the early morning, we still have to sit on the wet ground. How disgusting is that?? There will be a large stain on our dark green skirts... I mean can’t they hold the assembly in the hall or let us go back to classrooms? Only if it’s raining heavily will we cancel our assembly.

Also, we do not have showers after PE lessons. Furthermore, we must change back to our uniforms after recess. We will all be sticky and sweaty and there's simply not enough time to change. Most students just wear their uniforms over the PE attire after recess.

We have Prom night at the end of our sec school year, after "O" levels. Ballrooms at hotels will be booked by most sec schools during the month of November. There's no dancing or partying at my Prom. It's just sitting down, having a meal with friends and lots of photo-taking.

Anyway, I missed my secondary school very much. :(
Life at Poly is so much different from secondary school, not neccessary a good thing.

Yes! I found another Asian on the forum! I haven't met an asian on the forum yet until now!!!!!
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
AliceC
Learning to Love Green

Post by AliceC »

I'm in high school.
It's public and it goes from grade 9 to grade 11.
It has really good sports teams, especially sr. girls volleyball.

It's semestered, 4 lessons per semester.
I like it : )

You. Are. Not. Leaving. Me. - Ian O'Shea
heifergrl1
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails
Location: Following the ever so saucy Eric Northman around...a lot...

Post by heifergrl1 »

I go to a pretty big high school (about 2500 students) so I don't know very many people. Most of the girls are preppy and it drive me insane since I am such a tomboy. I'm an aggie, so everyone except my really good friends think that I'm weird because I grew up on a farm lol. But I don't really give a rip what anyone thinks about me there because most of the people aren't worth my time. I do love the library though. I can go there to escape from some people lol.

-Elizabeth
Oh the deliciousness!
E<3B