Chapter 2: Long Night

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Timothy
Learning to Love Green

Re: Chapter 2: Long Night

Post by Timothy »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?

Bella has always known what she is giving up. When it comes to later of having Nessie, she never thought about or cared to have children. She's always wanted Edward -- forever. She understands that she will have to say goodbye to her parents and friends, but she has to "live" her own life. Bella has always been considered to be wise beyond her years. I would say that's a very astute argument.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?

I knew Edward wanted nothing to do with the usual bachelor party. I figured they were simply going hunting, possibly doing overdoing it just to make sure.

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?

Simple. He prefers brunettes, lol. I think he's just always seen them as family, nothing more.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?

I would have to think that being somewhere in the double digit age before somebody would be allowed to be turned according to the Volturi.

Death is peaceful, easy. Life is harder.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?
I believe she does really understand it, she has had a lot time to think about it. I don't feel she was limited by her age.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?
Not a clue on both.

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?
Apparently he wasn't into her.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?
Whether they can show restraint or not? If a child is old enough to restrain himself than they can keep the secret?
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I think that she does understand, but the benefits of becoming immortal outweigh the consequences in her mind. Though, I think that part of the reason she's so willing to be immortal is because she's young, and hasn't experienced a lot of what human life has to offer.

Probably just a hunting trip or something. I didn't think much of it.

Because he just didn't feel the same way she did. Edward is a gentleman, and wouldn't try to lead a girl on.

I'd say eight or over would be a decent age. It depends on the individual child and how mature they are.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I think it's difficult for her to comprehend giving up things that she has never experienced, such as having children. It can be difficult to see the effect losing something like that will have on you until all hope of ever having it is lost.

Yes, I think they were telling the truth. Who are they going to get to strip for them, anyway - a human? That would tempt them in the wrong way. And Edward would never do that to Bella.

From what I've read about Tanya in the Midnight Sun draft (which I read before BD) and from her behaviour at the wedding, I think she's a little too pushy for him. He likes to do the chasing. And he likes women with depth. Tanya's feelings for him aren't deep, so it doesn't really do anything for him. He's just one of the many.

They would probably have to have a general cut off age, maybe thirteen? But there might be some who had matured enough earlier that they weren't a danger. Whether the Volturi would let them survive or not would probably depend on the situation, and how much they could gain from it.
Nora
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Nora »

I think she almost does . Perhaps she doesn't think about having kids yet, but everything else she has thought of . The fact that she hasn't thought about kids might be couse of her age .
I think Jasper was telling the truth . I couldn't imagine them in a strip club, so I think they went on a hunt .
I think that she wasn't her type and he wasn't looking for someone either . Also, Tanya is a blonde, but Edward likes brunettes . :D
I think that a two-year-old is way too young . They can understand, but that doesn't mean that they'll listen . I think the right age is at least ten years old . Then the person has some knowledge and she/he can understand the limits .
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

I honestly think that even after what she went through during Twilight, New Moon, and Eclispe, she was not fully ready. If she had seen what happened in the end of BD while she was human, I think only then would she have been fully prepared for the immortal life.

I think they just wanted Edward to forget about Bella even for just a few hours (which I doubt would EVER happen.) I think Jasper was telling the truth somewhat.

I think because he knew that she was not his mate for one. Also, she is all about sex and Edward grew up during a time that sex was thought of for ONLY during marrige.

It could vary for each child. I have a neice that with her temper, she would so NOT be a good one to become a vampire. Her temper is BAD and would in some ways be an immortal child. But Definitly not younger than 13.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
thebookworm
Wandering Through Town

Post by thebookworm »

Alphie wrote:Many thanks to Love2Dream for her help with this chapter discission.

Bella is fairly intuitive and an old soul, so once she had been through everything in NM and EC, I think she finally understood what she would be giving up. This is why she stalls again at the start of BD, because she is scared what part of her she will leave behind. Having said that, her intuitiveness is what makes her sure that eventually, being a vampire is what she really wants.

Yeah, Jasper was telling the truth, they went hunting. However, like some one mentioned I think the conversation may have been a little different to the usual hunting dialogue! lol

In Midnight Sun we see how normal minds hold no interest for him. Tanya is a vampire, but her mind is still fairly selfish, he sees her desires out right and probably derives that most are driven by lust, some thing that is not at the top of Edwards agenda. Bella is like no other, in the fact that he can't read her, so therefore he has the chance to fall in love "normally". He finds out that she is a very unselfish person by getting to know her gradually and not by reading her mind. I think it's the unselfishness and pureness to her that he falls for initially.

I can't answer this one entirely. All people are different, some can have restraint and hold secrets from an early age, some have problems doing this through out their entire life! lol My guess would be at least 16!!!!
thebookworm
Wandering Through Town

Post by thebookworm »

Ha ha ha oopppsss I think I quoted the above post wrong! lol
adorey
Settled in Forks

Post by adorey »

I do think Bella was underestimating what she stood to lose by choosing immortality. At the end of the day, she only wanted to live forever so that she could be with Edward. But there were very few references in the book where Bella actually considered what it would be like to watch her friends and family age before her eyes. Bella's ridiculously stubborn in that sense. Once she's made her mind up on something, she can't be swayed. for example, she knew that having Edward's baby could kill her before the child was even born and yet she went ahead with it. So i do think that she was perhaps a little naive in thinking that once she had immortality, everything would be fine.

I'd like to think Jasper was telling the truth! To be honest, focusing on trying not to kill the guests would probably be one of their top priorities, even though they're used to being around humans. Plus, i think they wanted to appease the pack, some of whom would be attending the wedding, as one slip up, like what happened with Jasper in New Moon, could result in a full scale war between the Cullens and the tribe.
Besides, Edward would be too honorable to allow his brothers to take him to a strip club, and i think he would want to stay near the vicinity of Bella in case someone tried to kill her whilst he was away, and i wouldn't have thought there would be many strip clubs in Forks...

Because he is a true gentleman. He wasn't interested, end of.
Besides, i think he was still struggling with accepting his life as a vampire and i think he would have felt guilty to try to appease his immortal life by seeking the comfort and pleasure of a woman he didn't find attractive to him.

They would have to be at the stage where they could have some reign over their emotions. It's interesting, as when you think about it, it's teenagers who tend to have the most volatile mood swings as they struggle to go through puberty.

Ultimately, i think the child would have to be of an age where it can follow and understand rules and most importantly, understand why the rules are there in the first place.
mainhoonemily
Wandering Through Town

Post by mainhoonemily »

I don't think she does, but I think her love for Edward is great enough to outweigh any regrets we think she might have in the future. Bella, emotionally, is already half a vampire anyway, so I never worried that she was going to change her mind.

I don't think Edward would have gone along with anything scandalous, so Jasper was probably telling the truth!

Edward doesn't seem like he'd be impressed by looks alone, so I don't think he would go for a relationship that was purely physical. If Tanya didn't appeal to him on an emotional or mental level, I don't think he'd give in to her advances. If he can turn down Bella, who he is wildly attracted to and in love with, I doubt he'd fall into bed with someone casually, you know?

I think it would be all about self-control. Can a child be reasoned with and taught not to reveal themselves? To hunt as unobtrusively as possible?