General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
madness_falls
Wandering Through Town

Re: Edward, Bella, and Nessie as a family

Post by madness_falls »

IrishTea wrote:To be honest - I wanted to see a lot more of Edward's parenting. Bella was definitely there a lot, but I felt we saw more Jacob parenting Nessie than Edward. I always pictured Edward to be absolutely doting on his children.
This so much.
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I agree with others that I wish I could have seen Edward doing more parenting. He seemed slightly distant with Renesmee -- it was a shame.

There is one thing that I think about regarding the three of them as a family: What happens when Renesmee is full-grown, forever a teenager like her parents? Are they going to continue a human charade, and go to high school? It would certainly be odd for parents to go to high school with their daughter. XD I doubt that would happen, though -- I kind of see them homeschooling Renesmee, and quitting their high school life.

I'd love to see another book based on Renesmee's future. She really did interest me as a character. Maybe we could get a novella -- not too much, but enough to give us an idea of what happens. That would be really cool.
StellaBlueBella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by StellaBlueBella »

I think I have read BD three times (?) and the 12 chapters of MS twice and my thoughts on this subject have changed/evolved.

At first, I agreed with a lot of the comments here that Edward seemed distant and that Jacob needed to back off a bit. Then I read MS and re-read BD; I feel there is so much more going on from Edward's POV than we what we are able to see from Bella's (and not just with Nessie). I would LOVE to have BD from Edward's perspective!!

And to be fair let's put Edward into historical context. What were the expectations/cultural norms for the role of fathers in the early 1900's? I imagine they were somewhat different then the ones we have today.

One thing I do NOT think has changed is that parents, especially fathers, believe they have a duty to protect their children from harm - be it the Volturi or an unknown medical condition. I believe Edward felt that by doing all that research - he was doing what others could not do to protect his child. I mean Nessie had Bella, Jake, Rose, Esme and Alice as caregivers - we didn't see any of them doing medical research on her behalf. And in the end finding Nahuel and Huilen in the Amazon is what saved Nessie's (and everyone eles') life. I would say Edward's parenting strategy paid off.

My theory as to why we see so much more of Nessie-Bella-Jake in the book is that is the situation that needed the most resolution. We get to see Bella and Jake become best friends again and we also get to experience the attachment of imprinting. We should have a little faith in Edward's love for his family. I also have a theory that there is more of a connection or "communication" going on between Nessie and Edward then we see through Bella. I mean the guy can read minds already so just imagine what he can see from his daughter who is able to share her mind with anyone!

• To comprehend a nectar Requires sorest need.
mary
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: hanging out w/ Bella, Rennesme, and the other Cullens

Post by mary »

StellaBlueBella wrote:And to be fair let's put Edward into historical context. What were the expectations/cultural norms for the role of fathers in the early 1900's? I imagine they were somewhat different then the ones we have today.

One thing I do NOT think has changed is that parents, especially fathers, believe they have a duty to protect their children from harm - be it the Volturi or an unknown medical condition. I believe Edward felt that by doing all that research - he was doing what others could not do to protect his child. I mean Nessie had Bella, Jake, Rose, Esme and Alice as caregivers - we didn't see any of them doing medical research on her behalf. And in the end finding Nahuel and Huilen in the Amazon is what saved Nessie's (and everyone eles') life. I would say Edward's parenting strategy paid off.

My theory as to why we see so much more of Nessie-Bella-Jake in the book is that is the situation that needed the most resolution. We get to see Bella and Jake become best friends again and we also get to experience the attachment of imprinting. We should have a little faith in Edward's love for his family. I also have a theory that there is more of a connection or "communication" going on between Nessie and Edward then we see through Bella. I mean the guy can read minds already so just imagine what he can see from his daughter who is able to share her mind with anyone!

I totally agree. Yea, you don't really hear of Edward being around that much after Nessie was born, but the thing we've all got to remember when reading these books is that it IS from Bella's POV. Where all she payed attention to before Nessie was born was Edward, now that she has a baby that needs the love and attention from her mom that only a mom can give Bella has to focus more on Nessie, and less on Edward. Just because Bella doesn't mention that Edward is there, it doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't. Plus, he was doing all that research to save Nessie and the rest of his family with the threat of the Volturi coming. That's why Alice and Jasper left right before the Volturi came was to find the other vampire/human half-breed that they had found out about. Honestly, I believe Edward was a very loving father, he saved his daughter and the other Cullens from the Volturi.

"Look after my heart, I've left it with you."
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

Well, we only did get Bella's POV of this, so in fact, there could have been more parenting on Edward's part than we were shown. I think though that Jacob and Rosalie took over so much during the time right before the Voltouri that it makes it seem like he didn't care, when in fact I think he cared so much. I would think that he would have been grateful for all the help.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
StellaBlueBella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by StellaBlueBella »

SwanCullen wrote:I think though that Jacob and Rosalie took over so much during the time right before the Voltouri that it makes it seem like he didn't care, when in fact I think he cared so much. I would think that he would have been grateful for all the help.
I sure hope so!! This also reminds me that I felt like Rosalie has some major apologies coming her way for the way people treated her while she was helping Bella with her pregnancy... Especially from Edward AND Jacob!

• To comprehend a nectar Requires sorest need.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I still don't think much of Rosalie. I think most of the things she did during Bella's pregnancy were more for Renesmee and what she could gain out of that than about Bella. And even if it was about Bella, she was incredibly insensitive to everyone else every step of the way. Esme was supportive of Bella's decision too, but she still supported Edward as well. Rosalie just behaved callously to everyone.
goldeneyedgirl14
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by goldeneyedgirl14 »

i definately think that jacob should be included in this family, simply b/c he cant help that he imprinted on Nessie. as for edward and bella as parents, Edward seems in a daze to me. like he really still cant believe he ha a kid, b/c as carlisle pointed out, this has never occured before. bella seems a great mother, but as pointed out in Twilight, she has always been ahead of her years. either way, nessie has not only the cullen family but also jacob and the tribe. she will be a happy girl. i know i would be ;) either way, im glad jacob worked into the family well and that bella and edward are good parents.
"Ooooooh, scary."- Emmet Cullen Breaking Dawn
Team emmet.
"I have alot of scars like yours, Bella."-Jasper Hale Eclipse
Team Jasper.
Both are so hot, why should I have to decide?