General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Re: Twilight under the Sorting Hat

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

While we're on the topic of the Sorting Hat (I refuse to get into any metaphorical discussions in a HPxTwi crossover, merely because my own bias will taint anything I contribute (and on that note, I condemn both Bella and Edward to Hufflepuff because I want to torture Hufflepuff)(I'd say neither of them are smart enough to be in Ravenclaw, but apparently we let Cho Chang in so the standards of smartness must be fairly lax.)) but what about the Scarf of Sexual Preference? Are we allowed to make AVPS jokes in a semi-serious conversation? :D
Keeper of the Lex's Sonic Screwdriver

Post by 24601 »

The Mods liked this thread so much that we thought we'd run some polls on the subject.

The Sorting Hat has wandered into Forks.

Where would the Twilight characters end up?

Vote for where you think they should be. Let us know why. We'll summarize the results at the end (no, I don't know when that will be yet.
Noli improbos sinere te conterere
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

I ended up voting Jacob for Hufflepuff. I know that’s an odd choice, but I was down to either that or Gryffindor. Jacob before NM and after Nessie just seemed to fit Hufflepuff. He showed moments of courage and leadership during his “Bella” period, but he also showed a bit of Slytherin during that time too. He never wanted to become the Alpha, allowed Sam to keep that position, and after Nessie seems to have semi-permanently delegated his Alpha duties to Leah.

As far as parallels between Edward and Snape, I think you can make the same argument between Jacob and Snape regarding the love triangles and their unrequited loves. And there is also one tenuous parallel between Jacob and Voldemort; both ended up being thwarted by the very child they intended to murder.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Mods~ Thank you for the polls. This is certainly a very entertaining and enlightening discussion.

I too put Jacob in Hufflepuff for very similar reasons, Corona. Edward & Bella are both Gryffindors, but for very different reasons rom each other. Bella has a sort of wreckless valour, willing to sacrifice herself at a moment's notice without really considering consequences. Edward has the courage to shoulder the responsibility laid before him, but also to accept that he can't do everything and sometimes love is about allowing the other person to save you, too.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I see I'm in a minority with respect to Edward's and Jacob's sorting; nor would I put any of the Cullen family in Slytherin--even Rose. Rose was not pleasant, she was very self-involved, and she consistently looked out for her own interests above all others, but she lacked the vicious, ruthless edge that I think characterizes Slytherins.

Rosalie's life was a living hell--much more so than the other Cullen's lives. Remembering that vampire psyche is fixed as of their transformation, Rose's existence was one of regret, resentment, and sorrow for lost opportunities--even more so, because she had clung to those feelings from the beginning. Though her mental frame of mind was negative, nevertheless, she was committed to the Cullen lifestyle choice, stood with the family in all their battles--even though she didn't particularly like Bella--and she cared enough about Bella to try to make Bella understand the ramifications of choices about permanent things.

I feel that automatically assigning Edward to what is considered the most prestigious Hogwarts house and Jacob to some less prestigious house is a sort of literary political correctness. Edward is our hero, so of course he must belong to that house to which our other heros belong--the one that's most popular; the one that is in best odor with the public. To put him elsewhere is an affront to our loyalty to Edward.

As I said earlier, a case can be made for Edward in any of the Hogwarts houses, but I shake my head a bit when he is overwhelmingly placed in Gryffindor, just because--as far as I can tell--he is our heroic Edward. All of the Hogwarts houses had heroic, self-sacrificing, committed students. Edward had other characteristics--especially noticable prior to Bella's arrival--that would place him in another house: commitment to his family's safety, studious habits, musical sensitivity, and consideration for the feelings of the vampires around him, to name a few. I would expect that after Breaking Dawn, when all the craziness surrounding Bella was ended, he would pick up those habits again and be a different Edward than we are accustomed to reading about.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Esme echo wrote:I see I'm in a minority with respect to Edward's and Jacob's sorting; nor would I put any of the Cullen family in Slytherin--even Rose. Rose was not pleasant, she was very self-involved, and she consistently looked out for her own interests above all others, but she lacked the vicious, ruthless edge that I think characterizes Slytherins.
You may find that your opinion actually matches the polls better than mine. Jacob currently leads with the highest percentage of Gryffindor votes.

My reasoning for Jacob was that I classified him as Hufflepuff when he is introduced in the story, an easy-going, likeable boy that doesn’t appear to display any of the ambition or competitiveness characterized by the other three houses. His assumption of the Alpha role in BD is what really starts setting him apart and begins trending him towards Gryffindor. I see his Gryffindor status peaking around the time of him granting Edward the exception to the treaty necessary for saving Bella’s life. But he decides to keep his Alpha status primarily to give Leah a place away from Sam. He doesn’t appear to want to maintain any of his new responsibilities after Nessie is born, and his attitude towards it is completely different than Sam’s. And this is perfectly fine, it works out well because he has Leah as his lieutenant. Jacob appears to have been restored almost completely to his pre-Bella character. That doesn’t mean the sorting hat isn’t going to send him to Gryffindor, because I can’t be sure, I can only make a guess. I think, though, that Hufflepuff was really his true house and that his Gryffindor period was an aberration.

Edward is a tough one to sort, because by all rights any vampire should be much easier because their personality is already written in stone, you don’t have to worry about it changing and developing like Neville’s. I think Edward is either Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff pre-Bella. He would go the farthest scholastically with Ravenclaw, but the sorting hat may put him in Hufflepuff because he would be happiest there. Edward has an affinity for the kinder, gentler minds such as Angela or Seth. Edward does go through changes, though, and I put his true Gryffindor trending during BD as well. Granted that the events in BD push him in that direction, but I don’t see him reverting to his prior personality like Jacob, simply because he can’t. My interpretation is that Edward undergoes a series of changes with Bella, not just falling in love in TW. He is also irrevocably changed in NM when he believes that Bella has died, and is no longer tempted by her blood and can no longer leave her except by her express desire (which ain’t happening). I also see in BD that Bella’s near death during the delivery, his successful saving of her, and the delivery of their child, as permanently changing his outlook on himself and becoming an optimist, willing to take risks. Is that enough, or am I biased? Well, I know for a fact that I am biased, although for the purposes of this discussion I really try not to be. Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff personalities can also undergo changes and demonstrate courage and bravery without automatically qualifying for Gryffindor. Edward’s personality change is so dramatic, though, that I give the nod to Gryffindor as an award of recognition for what he has gone through and who he has become.

And Rosalie? Honestly, I think she would still fit well with Slytherin post-Voldemort. I don’t think she would be very happy there during Voldemort’s reign, but then I don’t think she would have been happy in any house. It’s true that Slytherin had a real vicious edge that Rosalie doesn’t have. She isn’t necessarily vicious and sadistic, she is self-centered and callous. She is tragic in that she knows she would like to be a better person, or at least that life would be a little easier, but she cannot change, so she accepts herself the way she is. And she is perfectly content to be who she is. Going outside the strict canon of the four books, SM has shown that Rosalie can display an atrocious callousness in regards to Bella (*cough* *cough* I forget the name of that unfinished work ;) ). One of her NM extra’s, Miscalculation, shows Rosalie as having to search for any measure of grief for Bella jumping off the cliff, and she does find just a little, which pleases her. Finding she can mourn Bella because she made Edward happy for a few months makes Rosalie feel better – about herself. Then she is immediately distracted by her appearance in the mirror and feels even better just looking at her reflection. Wow.

As a Cullen, no, I don’t want to put Rosalie into Slytherin. I don’t hate Rosalie, I pity her, and I wish she could be placed somewhere else so that she could grow into a better person, but she can’t do that, it’s impossible for her now.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

I would also like to note that not all Slytherins are pure evil. Most of them are just right foul gits.
Very sexy right foul gits. :D
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

I’ve been thinking about Rosalie a bit more, so I am going to amend my comments. We always see the absolute worst side of her because of her relationship with Bella. I have no idea what her “normal” state would be, because Bella is constantly aggravating every single one of her insecurities. Rosalie, after all, did eventually bond with the newcomers, Alice and Jasper. I don’t see any bonding going on immediately with Bella after Nessie’s birth, but I suspect that at least her own personal roadblocks are not going to prevent a bond from occurring later on down the road. That’s just a theory, though, since we really don’t get to see that in BD, just a little more respect to Bella.

That doesn’t excuse Rosalie’s behavior, but I have to take into account that this is a person whose emotional growth has essentially been sabotaged. She is who she is. You can take Bella’s presence in her life as either twisting her personality or simply revealing it. I would like to consider any change in Rosalie after Nessie’s birth, but we just don’t get filled in too well on that.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I appreciate your comments, corona. Rosalie's propensities were frozen at 19 years of age -- when she had yet to learn that there was more to life than what Rosalie Hale wanted. As a much older person now, I shudder to think of my attitudes, insecurities and habits being frozen when I was 19! Yuck! Please don't remind me! :oops:
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Edwards Wheels
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Edwards Wheels »

I'd have issues placing certain TW characters into HP houses, for the simple reasons of my being so bias.
When I first read this thread I immediately thought "Edward in Gryffindor", but I don't think so now, I think he'd be Hufflepuff, I can't make upy mind. Bella wouldn't go into Gryffindor, but I don't know why? And Jacob? Well I'm the opposite of Melissa Rosemburg when it comes to Jacob so I'd want to place him in Slytherin (I know he doesn't deserve that, I just can't stand the character, and all the characters that were disliked in HP, went to Slytherin)
I have no logic behind my brief thoughts on this, however I shall think about it some more and see anything changes lol x

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]