Water for Elephants (movie and book)

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Water for Elephants (movie and book)

Post by Openhome »

Please discuss both the book and movie "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen here.
LadyGhost06
Wandering Through Town

Re: Water for Elephants (movie and book)

Post by LadyGhost06 »

I haven't read the book yet, although I do plan to. I'm just not sure if I will read it before or after I see the movie (which I am very excited to see).
"I'll walk forever with stories inside me that the people I love the most can never hear."
StellaBlueBella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by StellaBlueBella »

When is the movie supposed to be out... I can't decide which I should do first either. Book or Movie?

• To comprehend a nectar Requires sorest need.
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Post by older_twilight_fan »

LadyGhost06 wrote:I haven't read the book yet, although I do plan to. I'm just not sure if I will read it before or after I see the movie (which I am very excited to see).
StellaBlueBella wrote:When is the movie supposed to be out... I can't decide which I should do first either. Book or Movie?
I believe the movie is set to be released April 22, 2011, in the U.S. I always prefer to read the book before seeing the movie adaptation, but that's just personal preference. I guess I like to use my imagination to visualize the characters and places in my mind; and once I've seen the movie, it's difficult for me to picture the characters as anything other than whom I watched onscreen.

I fell in love with the book Water for Elephants, and thought it was an amazing read, and it was one of those books that stayed with me for awhile afterwards. I read it while on vacation last summer, and had a difficult time putting it down in order to play with my kids on the beach. :wink: The characters are very compelling, and the author is so wonderfully descriptive that she makes you feel as if you're really seeing the vibrant and colorful, yet somewhat seedy and gritty aspects of circus life in the 1930's. I also think it will translate remarkably well from page to screen. I saw a recent interview with Rob Pattinson where he seemed so pleased with the movie, and he described it as an "old-fashioned Hollywood movie, like something from the 1940's". As eager as I am to see Rob playing the part of the younger Jacob Jankowski, he'll certainly be in excellent company with Oscar winners Reese Witherspoon and Christoph Waltz, as well as Oscar nominee Hal Holbrook.
Banner by TammyAZ
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

:clap:

Very happy for this thread

I got the book for christmas and I could NOT put it down! It was fantastic. My heart broke for Jacob when he learned of what the financial aspect was after his parents died. While he did make a non-thought out decision, it lead him to the rest of his life. With out it, he never would have met some of his best friends. Rosie would be a non-issue. And worst of all? There would be no Marlena and no children. The part where Rosie pulls her stake out and kills August was shocking! I had to read that part twice. I also thought that the way his children treat him now is appalling. Having worked in a nursing home myself, I see that all too often. She described the way a lot of patients are treated nowadays. I loved the fact that the baby turned out to have red hair :D I do think though even if the baby didn't, like Jacob said, he would have loved it and raised it as his own. It's been a few weeks sense I have read the book and I STILL cannot get it out of my mind.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

Yay!!! New thread. Haven't read any post yet coz I don't want to read anything that might spoil me. I'll be doing my homework starting this week, not tonight though because I need to go to bed right now, that is to start reading this book :lol: . Yay, Jacob Jankowski here I come... :swoon:
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
velvet409

Post by velvet409 »

StellaBlueBella wrote:When is the movie supposed to be out... I can't decide which I should do first either. Book or Movie?
I highly recommend reading the book first. As the others have already said, it was a wonderful book. I read it over Thanksgiving weekend and like everyone else I couldn't put it down. It does have its sad bits but it's overall a happy ending. I cannot wait to see Rob in this movie. April can't come fast enough. :)
Banner by TammyAZ
"Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch."
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

Definitly read the book before hand if you can!
StellaBlueBella

Post by StellaBlueBella »

Alrighty the book it is - thanks ladies <3

• To comprehend a nectar Requires sorest need.
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

What do you all think of the posters that they have released? I think they look amazing! I wonder what they will cut out of the book for the movie, or change. already I have seen stills where it looks like there is a pie throwing thing going on, and I don't remember that from the book?