1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
Just confirmed what I already felt about her, that she is flighty, and a bit impulsive, its like she has things that she wants, but she doesn't think them through thoroughly. It seemed to me that it should have occurred to Renee that Bella wouldn't come home to an empty house or without a sound plan for what would happen once she got there, yet Renee hadn't really thought that through. Sometimes I think Renee can be selfish/childish, but she doesn't do it on purpose, its just her personality.
2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
I read it over more than once to get all the details. I knew that Edward wasn't standing next to her, but like Bella I was wondering how he got there so fast and why he was acting in a mixture of anger and concern. I didn't notice until I reread the book though that Bella see's Edwards siblings with a mix of concern, anger, and disapproval at what Edward's done.
3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident?
It seemed typical to me. Especially for someone who's not used to living with a teenager 24/7. I think Charlie is unprepared for the "trouble" that Bella might be able to get in, even though she is a good kid. Seems he wants to protect her but not smother her so much that she might leave.
4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions?
The first thing I noticed about Carlisle was how different his demeanor was from Edward, it made me suspicious about him I think! He was just so "ordinary" where Edward's behavior has always been a little strange up until this point, but I found him refreshing.
5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
They intrigued me, they definately didn't frighten me, but felt like they might be hurtful to Bella. She just wants answers when she is already confused and stressed and his reaction seems harsh because we don't know the reason for it. I'm with Bella, I want answers!
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium