A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
fiish3
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by fiish3 »

1,Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
I had this ominous feeling that edward was going to do something... I didnt how ever know that he would go to that extreem. when he started to become distant i thought it was a phase and he would get over it. It didnt take me by although i didnt want to belive he was going to leave.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
nope.
3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
It was a cruel speech, I didn't belive him probably because i didnt want to, but when he left her in the forest i just felt my heartbreak. He wasn't going to come back soon so I skimmed through the book until he finally turned up.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
I didnt really care about Sam at that present moment but I did find him suspicious. Mostly i was happy that someone found bella because i thought some vampire will attack her if she was left there any longer.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages
I felt absolutly heart broken. Literally watching the months fly by and still Bella was practically dead, her body on earth but her mind just shut down, it was so sad. I was amazed how ever that blank pages with just months on them could portray such meaning. Well done to Stephanie (Y)
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
I sort of saw it coming, especially when he started withdrawing.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
Yes, i was so, i don't know words can't explain the pain and shock combined.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
I was hoping he would o back, i felt like jumping into the book and slapping him silly. I didn't believe every single thing that he said no.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
Who is he. Then I remembered and I was like wat.

Pain and shock and chocked cries.
Mrs.Cullen1710
Wandering Through Town

Post by Mrs.Cullen1710 »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter?At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
Well yes Just by the title alone. I kind of felt it coming when Edward was acting emotionless, just staring at the TV, not talking to Bella, etc . I was surprised at the way he ended it.

yes, Love can make do crazy things. I would love to know if Edward did something similiar

I cried :cry: Just because I knew how hard this was for Edward. I knew he was lying about not wanting her and why he did it. But I did think he was going to run back to her because I could just imagine how miserable he was.

I had the same reaction that Bella had. I thought he was bad news.

Sad. I Just imagined her pain for so many months

If Stephanie said she would just write one more book for the twilight series after Midnight sun. I hope it would be New Moon through Edwards eyes.
Twilight_Moon
Wandering Through Town

Post by Twilight_Moon »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

I had a bad feeling about the title, but I was like 'No I have to be wrong, I mean the book just started, she wouldn't do that to Bella and Edward." HA! I was wrong. ::hangs head in shame:: When Edward wouldn't talk to Bella and then suddenly was like let's talk I got all tense and braced myself for it. I was still shocked though that Edward did that.

I think I have, but not to Bella's extent.

I wanted him to run back and be like, "I can't do this, I can't hurt you." or something and then they'd make up and kiss and all that jazz. But it didn't happen and I think I felt betrayed in the beginning, and very broken hearted myself as he went on in his speech. I think I reacted almost like Bella. I sobbed though, especially at Bella's line "You...don't....want me?" I was asking Edward the same question..."You....don't...want her?"

I was still really numb myself for Edward leaving. I don't think I gave it a second thought to be honest, not until a couple chapters later.

It hit me that Edward wasn't coming back, (or so I thought at the time) I thought he'd come back in over the next chapter or two which would span maybe a week or so. I didn't expect months to have flown by. I felt so sad for Bella, I mean these two were made for each other and then suddenly he's like I can't be with you, I don't want to be with you. And to carry that around for months, or any amount of time must be a horrible feeling.
AliceC
Learning to Love Green

Post by AliceC »

Obviously there was something wrong with Edward, but I was just expecting him to finally spit out for why something was bothering him... When he told Bella what he was doing, I was like, wow.
Nope.

OMG, when Edward said that he was leaving I was like crying. And then when Bella asked, "You don't love me any more?" And he was like, "No." My heart literally stopped beating. It felt soooo real, and I felt Bella's pain. I knew that he was going and never coming back. It hurt.

Meh, it didn't bother me at the time. I thought nothing of it. I was just glad someone found Bella.

Oh my, I knew that Bella must have been lifeless if her life was not worth writing about. And it still hurt that the slight hope of Edward running back didnt come true. He was gone. It was depressing.

You. Are. Not. Leaving. Me. - Ian O'Shea
(E.C.Is.Mine)
Wandering Through Town

Post by (E.C.Is.Mine) »

chapter 3 was basically the time when my heart stopped beating and i yelled at my friend for making me read it
hahah. and when edward was gone its prob why i love jacob equally with edward now...
Suffering from bad cases of OCD and OBD.

Check out my fanfics. http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1699752/omf ... s-my-lover
vampirechick101
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by vampirechick101 »

No Ifelt it coming since after the party. :(

Yes I can't stand Edward being away from Bella

I cried :cry: and then i thought that the story went on so he had to come back sooner or later.

I thought he was going to hurt Bella .

i know what you are thinking emotional much? but I cried harder when I read the month pages :cry:
JACKHAMMER OPERATOR OF THE EDC! EMMETT'S DEMOLITION CREW WOOT WOOT!
Team Rosalie!~ every rose has it's thorns.
Mimi1=My Twi-Twin
You.Are.Not.Leaving.Me- Ian O'Shea<3 *sigh*
jovialmadness
Settled in Forks

Post by jovialmadness »

Oh yes; the foreboding was very thick and heavy. I remember catching on pretty quick, especially with out aloof Edward had become and I knew that he was going to end up leaving her. Did I know he'd be gone for 400+ pages?! No, but I did see it coming.

Yes, and it's got to be one of the hardest, saddest situations to be in.

Nah, I didn't buy any of it, because it so strictly followed the whole hero-leaves-the-herione-for-her-own-good that is such a common theme in such genres.

I didn't think much of it to be honest.

You've. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me.
roxanna85
Settled in Forks

Post by roxanna85 »

1. Yes, I felt unconfortable while reading the chapter - somehow I got the feeling that something bad is going to happen when Edward became cool and aloof towards Bella. I just could not believe he could take such a drastic step but I believed he feels it is the right thing to do then.

2. Yes, it happened once to me - it was the most difficult time in my life - holding on to something that was no longer mine to keep.

3.It was hard for Edward to say all that to Bella - I for one did not believe a word he said - he refuses to look at her a few times so I know he had to compose himself himself to truly appear heartless to Bella, so I was shocked to find out Bella took it all in so easily.

4.Who the heck was Sam - I asked myself - it was quite a surprise to find him mentioned in the chapter - I was expecting Jacob to be the one helping with the search.

5. It gives me the impression that Bella took the parting very hard and the torment she went through was undescribable.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise? God, yes! The chapter title, Edward's distance from Bella; his response of "not tonight" when she asked him to stay the night- that was a FIRST, and an awful sign!

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away? Yes, but it wasn't with my true love; he was just a highschool crush and we were in the "getting to know you phase" when my parents found out some bad info about him and tried to get me to stay away from him... I was being stubborn.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did? I was screaming "What are you doing?!" at Edward in my head! I totally believed him, but just couldn't believe that this could happen. I just didn't understand WHY he was leaving, after all of his professions of his love he made for Bella in Twilight.

I was reading this part around 1 in the morning on vacation back in late July; I was so tired and exhausted from being at the beach that day. I remember just feeling numb like Bella said she felt. Several times I got up and blew my nose and had to start reading a few sentences back. I was heart-broken! After this chapter, I put the book down; I'd had enough emotion for one night.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence. I had totally forgotten him from Twilight... how??? Well, I found the books in July, and read NM right after Tw. He was mentioned, what, ONCE in Twilight? I saw his name, and said "who the heck is Sam Uley? and what is he doing searching the woods for Bella??" I didn't put the snuffling sound and Sam's presence together, either.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages. At first, I was like, "how many months???" I felt exactly what Stephenie wanted us to feel- a period of depression for Bella.