Well I just finished nm and my current standing about the characters is as follows:
1) Edward Cullen: He seems so caring that he is willing to torture himself to keep Bella happy, but he doesn't understand. Bella needs him to function correctly, and he thinks by leaving he is making her happier. He almost seems like he has low self esteem, he doesn't think anyone can love a monster like him.
2) Bella Swan: She doesn't seem weak to me. Many people complain that she is so weak after edward leaves, but I just think that her depression shows how much edward means to her. I think it was really welly done. The whole doing something dangerous to hear him part was really good, and i completely loved it, though it did stretch out a little long.
3) Jacob Black: Go team Edward! To me it seems like Jacob was really nice to be her friend through all that while Edward was gone, but he never seemed to understand that Bella wasn't interested in him the way he was in her. I especially was mad at him for tattling on her about the motercycles.
4) Alice Cullen: One of my favorite Cullens, she seems so happy and cheerful, always making me happy.
5) Emmet Cullen: He was always the awesome brother to me, but he always seemed like an older brother even though he was the youngest.