Adult Thread: Novel~ Psy/Changeling by Nalini Singh

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Re: Adult Thread: Novel~ Psy/Changeling by Nalini Singh

Post by twilightmom »

Ah... I never got any of the notices of new posts here. Boo... It's been too long since I've read the book, but I know that I didn't think Kaleb was the ghost, but I forget why now. I also am getting better about Sierra and Hawke after this book and the snippet that was in the back of ARCHANGEL'S CONSORT.
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Twimom, I've noticed that the alerts go away if you don't check out the threads as soon as you get the notification in your email. At least that's what I understood from the webmaster. :?

I think I may the only one who doesn't care for Raphael. He is just too arrogant for me and that turned me off. I do, however, have a fondness for Bluebell. I wonder if he''ll get his own book?
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

Raphael is arrogant which is why I love how he can fall so completely for Elena. She's his greatest vulnerability as evidenced at the end of the first book when he couldn't let her die. I have to say, however, that this latest book, Angel's Consort softens him a great deal. It's been baby steps by baby steps that he's coming out of that arrogance into something much more lovable. Bluebell has to get his own book. He's just got too much lurking there.

One of the things I think that's really fascinating about Singh, is that she uses different vocabulary for the different series. The Psy/Changling books have a very earthy quality to them, like the cats and wolves and their attachment to the earth while the Guild Hunter series has a lifted feeling to it. It's still Singh's signature, but she's artfully written two different worlds with appropriate verbiage.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
cullengirl

Post by cullengirl »

That's a great observation, N'mama. I didn't notice it before until you mentioned it. What I really like about the Guilder series is that it's its own mythology. There are archangels and vampires living in the same world, which is something that I haven't seen done really well. The tone of her books stay consistent even though new characters come and go.

I still have to finish book 2 and 3 of the Guilder series. I'll have to see if I can ILL them from my library. They were kind enough to order Drew and Indigo's book for me.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

I really enjoyed Raphael and Elena in the third book... their relationship deepens with each story.

I recall reading Singh say that she would love to do a book for each of the SEVEN (Guild Hunter series), but I can't recall where I saw that.

and I'm going to do a little self-promotion here... I'm currently giving away a SIGNED COPY of Play of Passion on my blog... contest ends Friday Feb. 11 at 11:00 PM EST. Link is HERE if you want to enter.
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I just have to say that I wasn't all that excited about the Guild Hunter series when I first read about it. I didn't see how angels and vampires were going to fit together well...then add in a slayer...I just wasn't sure how all of that would tie in well together. But I have to say, I love it! And each book gets better...as most of you have already mentioned, Elena and Raphael continue to deepen in their love for one another and I am falling right along with them! It really goes to show what a great author Singh is...and I shoul dhave known because the Psy/Changeling books have always been a favorite series of mine.

To add my opinion about Raphael, I never thought he was overly arrogant. At least, not more than other males in some of the other series I've read. Wrath, in the BDB series, was pretty arrogant, I thought, but completely lovable. I see Raphael in the same light.

I am very curious where Singh plans to take the storyline with Illium, "Bluebell". And I wonder when Elena, Raphael, and Dmitri (his head vampire) are going to collide? I don't see that there is a way around a fight breaking out between the three. It's interesting to see Singh write about one couple through several books, instead of focusing on a different couple in each book. I'm liking the change :)

Thank you Naureen!!
cullengirl

Post by cullengirl »

fanMNM wrote:To add my opinion about Raphael, I never thought he was overly arrogant. At least, not more than other males in some of the other series I've read. Wrath, in the BDB series, was pretty arrogant, I thought, but completely lovable. I see Raphael in the same light.
Funny that you say that, Fan. I didn't find Wrath arrogant, but I definitely found him intimidating. I think what diffuses his alpha traits and actually all of the Brothers is the humor. For the most part, they're laughing at themselves and being serious at the same time. For Raphael, I think it's more about social rank considering he's an archangel. I don't know if I'm making any sense so I'll just stop. :?
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

No, cullengirl, I get what you are saying. You are right, there was more humor to off-set the intimidating males in the BDB series than there is in the Guild Hunter series...once you pointed that out, I saw what you were saying right away. I guess I can't really explain why I saw Wrath and Raphael in the same way. Maybe my brain just made the connection randomly and it stuck? LOL I definitely see why readers would see him as concerned with social rank, but I guess I just accepted that it was how he was raised to think...he has a duty to his region, to lead them and protect them. I'm just rambling on about my opinion now, so, ok, now it's my turn to stop :) LOL

Thank you Naureen!!
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

I think the fact that Raphael feels a duty to his region makes him different from many of the other archangels. He's still arrogant, but he does seem to have a genuine concern for his "people".
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
cullengirl

Post by cullengirl »

fanMNM wrote:I guess I can't really explain why I saw Wrath and Raphael in the same way. Maybe my brain just made the connection randomly and it stuck? LOL I definitely see why readers would see him as concerned with social rank, but I guess I just accepted that it was how he was raised to think...he has a duty to his region, to lead them and protect them. I'm just rambling on about my opinion now, so, ok, now it's my turn to stop :) LOL
No, I definitely follow what you are saying. The difference with Wrath is that he doesn't want to accept his social rank and take on the responsibilities of being King, which is what he struggled with as long as he had minimal vision. Like Raphael, he also has a duty to all the vamps there, whether they accept him as King or not, that's another issue. Since Raphael is more of a refined celestial being, I anticipated him being arrogant but he did seem over the top to me but again I only read the first book so far.