Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

The NEW Science of Twilight

Post by Openhome »

Does the information contained in the Official Illustrated Guide change or alter the way you thought the "science" behind Twilight worked?

We will be combining this thread with the Science of Twilight thread when we open up all the forums.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: The NEW Science of Twilight

Post by Jazz Girl »

There was one area where I think SM might have contradicted her own argument and that was on the supernatural gifts of the vampires. Granted, this is the area that she is most often criticized, but for me, it was the contradiction within the Guide versus any kind of scientific stretch. Within the guide, each vampire biography includes an mention of their "supernatural power" or lack there of. For Carlisle Cullen, his biography specifically states that he has no quantifiable supernatural power. Yet, in the basic explanation of supernatural powers and how they exist in some vampires, SM uses the following example: "a human with a deep value for human live becoming a vampire with the strength to avoid human blood" (p 73) Wouldn't that pretty much be Carlisle? There are several other examples of this as well. Siobhan comes to mind. But, we also find out that Laurent was able to immediately sense who the most powerful individual in a room was and could curry favor and influence them. Might that not also be considered a "supernatural power?"
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
TeamBella76
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamBella76 »

I don't see him having a supernatural power based on strength to withstand blood.
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

The Guide provoked me to think more about what vampires are made of - stone? diamond? what? Here's my train of thought - the Volturi use acid to reduce the pile of human bodies underneath the drain (I always suspected that was what it was for!) - but doesn't acid etch stone? Would acid hurt a vampire? Did some quick research - many stones are stained/etched by acid but granite is only etched by hydrofluoric (think I got that right, not a chemist) acid due to its composition - apparently granite is a composite of different types of minerals and quartz, one of them, is very hard to damage with acid. Mica is the mineral that causes granite to sparkle. Started researching molecular structure of common minerals in granite - realized that diamond is composed of carbon - checked and humans are about 12% carbon - voila! I think that the transformation process is akin to pressurizing and heating the body (intense pressure would feel like heat, accounting for the incredible burning feeling), and that the carbon in the body becomes diamond, with other molecules also transforming under pressure, thus the sparkly vampire effect. I don't know if this is what SM thought, but this train of thought occurred to me yesterday and seemed sensible.
I liked the science in the Guide - seems like she really thought that piece through - considering its fantasy!
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

BTW, acid doesn't bother diamond at all.
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

I am very happy that the guide has clarified a lot of issues on imprinting.

Also, there was the very curious incident where Sam had become angry in front of Emily and then phased in front of her causing her great injury. How was that possible when the imprinter only wants to make the imprintee happy? What could have possibly caused Sam to get angry in the presence of Emily? I am glad to see that the guide has provided those answers and given us an in-depth backstory that answered those questions.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Actually, the Guide covers that, and it's best to read both Sam's and Emily's bios to fully understand. SM refers in the books to Sam always trying to not be the kind of person his dad was, and the Guide reaffirms that and expands on it. When he hurt her, they weren't together yet, and they were fighting, and she compared him to his dad deliberately to provoke him. Even imprinted werewolves do have some feelings and actions that don't directly relate to the object of their imprinting - or you could argue that she wanted him to get mad, so he did. The story about what happened after the injury is really great.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

smitten_by_twilight wrote:Actually, the Guide covers that, and it's best to read both Sam's and Emily's bios to fully understand. SM refers in the books to Sam always trying to not be the kind of person his dad was, and the Guide reaffirms that and expands on it. When he hurt her, they weren't together yet, and they were fighting, and she compared him to his dad deliberately to provoke him. Even imprinted werewolves do have some feelings and actions that don't directly relate to the object of their imprinting - or you could argue that she wanted him to get mad, so he did. The story about what happened after the injury is really great.
And that was what was fascinating about their story. There was something that Sam could directly refuse, even under Emily's orders, and that was acting against the nature of the imprinting. He could not deny his love for Emily or return to Leah under false premises. And then she provoked him by throwing his dad in his face. Under some of the proposed theories for imprinting becoming angry would be impossible if the imprinter truly had become a slave to the imprintee, as they are always supposed to want to make them happy. But, we always knew about this argument the two had. We needed details!!! I'm am very glad the guide has filled us in and solved this mystery.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Jeakat
Wandering Through Town

Post by Jeakat »

TeamBella76 wrote:I don't see him having a supernatural power based on strength to withstand blood.
I think the supernatural power section of each bio was based on what's quantifiable, so I agree, being able to withstand blood wouldn't really constitute being a power in itself.
Jazz Girl wrote: For Carlisle Cullen, his biography specifically states that he has no quantifiable supernatural power. Yet, in the basic explanation of supernatural powers and how they exist in some vampires, SM uses the following example: "a human with a deep value for human live becoming a vampire with the strength to avoid human blood" (p 73)
The way I interpret that quote is slightly different. I believe that vampires do bring their most prominent characteristic forward into their vampire life, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will evolve into a power. If it had manifested itself so that Carlisle didn't even feel the 'burn' when he around humans (even as newborn), or if human blood held no appeal for him, then that would qualify as a power.

Take Edward for example. In his human life, he had a knack for knowing what people were thinking. When he was turned into a vampire I believe that it could've manifested itself in two ways. One, it just continued as it was in his human life and he could get an idea or feeling about what a person was thinking. Or it could've developed further into full-blown mind-reading.

I'm not sure what to make of Laurent. The only explanation I could think of while reading the guide was that he must have had a stronger/ more dominant personality trait that he carried through into his vampire life. He still kept his ability to search out the most powerful people, it wasn't forgotten, but as it stayed at the same level and wasn't enhanced by his change, it doesn't qualify as a power. Of course, if that's true (which I doubt, but again, just a theory) then that would mean Alice's visions also aren't a power, seeing as they weren't enhanced in any way from her human existence.
I wasn’t born a compassionless shrew. I used to be sort of nice, you know - Leah Clearwater, Breaking Dawn, p.316
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

You're right, Jeakat, and this points up an inconsistency in the Guide; at the beginning of the bio it states that as a human Alice's premonitions came to her as feelings rather than visions, but then later "she had her most terrifying vision yet," of her mother being murdered, and the way it is written it seems to be truly a vision. Hmm. Too tired to move this over to the inconsistencies thread tonight.