A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Cullen4eva
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 17 ~ The Game

Post by Cullen4eva »

1) What did you think of Billy's conversation with Bella and her response?I think Bella answered perfectly, its none of Billys business on who shes hanging out with.

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home?I didnt really approve of how he treated him, but hes never been in the situation so its forgivable.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself?Yes, way to hard on himself, he cant control everything no matter how hard he tries.

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly.Well kinda

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her?No, it gave me more respect for her.
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

1) What did you think of Billy's conversation with Bella and her response?
I thought she was being a little bit rude.

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home?
Yeah, he was nice.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself?
Yes, but he is right.

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly.
No, it actually surprised me. I was like "Well you finally said it!". It was cute :)

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her?
Esme is the sweetest!
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

Billy was being somewhat polite and I felt Bella responded with a typical teenager response. He obviously is truly concerned for her and Bella could have been more gentle/polite with him. But maybe if she wasn't as rude, he would have pursued Charlie more. I'm actually quite surprised that after Billy and Charlie had such a big argument and even stopped speaking for awhile that Billy would warn him about Bella dating Edward.

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home?
Yes. You have to do the sit down and speak with the boyfriend and tell them to be home early and take care of them. It was sweet.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself?
He loves her so much.. I imagine that's how anyone would feel if the person they were absolutely crazy for was constantly in danger because of them.

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly.
No.. I think it's better he didn't say it just because she had. Everytime Bella has told Edward that she loved him, he'd say something so much more deep like "you are my life now".

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her?
I was quite shocked to learn she had jumped from a cliff because her baby had died,.. I didn't really expect that. My opinion of her did not change because of it though, because she's still the same person she is now.. everyone makes mistakes and does things irrationally sometimes. Plus she's had a long time to think about it.
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

She was rude, but if she wasn’t be so sure of her, Billy would have ran (or roll) to tell a lie so huge to Charlie that he will have to intervene. And intervene in the relation of your 17 years old daughter who just moves… Poor Charlie!

Yes. He was nice, taking information… Even if they tease a little bit Bella, for me it was a good first meeting! :)

As usual. It's Edward, he always hard on himself…

No, he said it so many time in other way. This was cute because of it, actually. He used "those word", the one boys never usually say. It’s just a part of the magic, the spontaneity of the moment.

I like her more. It gave interesting information on why she take the role of the mother of the family.

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I still can't read that part smoothly. Bella is being rude, which seemed a bit out of character. Off course, she is right, but it felt a bit 'off'.

From Bella's POV: no, from Charlie's POV: yes. Off course, she's embarassed, but off course he does it.

It's understandable, he is right, but he is being to hard on himself.

YES! I thought it should have had more attention.

No, but I did feel more sorry for her past.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

I found it really heart warming that he was concerned for Bella and what she was dating. I think he was trying to be polite but at the same time make her really aware of who she was dating. Bella I thought was rude about it instead of being more casual like she could have. It would've kept Billy from shooting questions at Charlie if she was more casual about the whole thing instead of rude.

Yup. He was trusting Edwards word and was seeming to be very okay with the whole thing, maybe a little awkward, but okay with it. It was going to happen sooner or later.

I found him being a little to hard on himself, but at the same time he knew she was a danger magnet, and that even the smallest incident could be hazardous for her. Like, at the game, what if she was struck by lightning? Pummeled with the ball ( :lol: ), or a tree somehow fell on her? All those thoughts would be running through my head too.

A little bit. It seemed more like he was joking or regretting he said it while saying it. *shakes head*

It made me like her more and respect her motherlyness. So sweet and yet so tragic.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

I've always loved the character of Billy Black. But, at the same time, I have to fully admit, he jumps to a very prejudiced position here. He has 75 years of proof that the Cullens are very different from other vampires. And yet, he automatically warns Bella. I understand his concern. But, a small benefit of doubt might be warranted. As for Bella's response, I love it. It is perfect Bella. Her openness and her fierce defense and love of her new family warm me greatly.

I wasn't bothered by it. It rather reminded me of my father. Quiet authority. Plus, I don't think Charlie had any clue what their relationship would become. He was trying to play it cool and let his little girl grow up a little.

Of course he's too hard on himself. Edward's view of himself is as skewed as he accuses Bella of having. He gives himself no credit for any of the good things he's done, particularly where Bella is concerned. And, he takes responsibility for things that cannot possibly be his fault.

Not particularly. It's a truth as simple as the sky being blue to Edward. Yes, his emotional journey is profound and took decades. But, now that he's there, it's no more a momentous thing as the sun rising in the east.

No, not at all. Maybe I saw a little deeper into why she is the kind of person she is. But, it certainly didn't change her for me.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

Chapter 17 ~ The Game

Billy obvisouly cares about Bella so I get why he was concern but he still wasn't his place to be nosely. I thought Bella did a good job at keeping him in line.

Yes I approve. Its funny how he thought Emmitt was Edward and didn't want Bella to date "Edward" because of how muscular he was. I think that Charle acted the way any typical father who is concerned for his daughter's safety would. He justs was Bella to be with a guy who will treat her right I think.

Yes I think that Edward is very hard on himself. I never thought that Edward gave himself enough credict for how safe he keeps Bella despite the greater danger that occurs around them.

Well I don't think that it came off "off-handedly", but no I wasn't disappointed. I feel like Edward has already said "I love you" in a stronger way through gestures, so this really isn't the first "I love you" scene for Edward. Besides, his love for her goes beyond words, so it kind of fits that he says "I love you Bella" in non-verbal ways all the time.

Ya know even after reading all four (five if you count the Bree Tanner one) books I STILL want to know more about Esme. Her, Rosalie, and Alice are the most intriguing characters I think. No my impression of her didn't really change. Her story explains her personality more than anything.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I think that Bella was right to be annoyed with him -- Billy was being too nosy, and it was really none of his business.

Yeah, I think he acted appropriately. LOL.

Yeah, I do. I think that a lot of the danger Bella was in wasn't his fault at all.

Nah. As long as he said it, it's all good.

Nope. She still seemed really sweet. :3
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

Billy is concerned, and that makes sense of course. After all, his people are very much afraid of vampires and while they do have the treaty with the Cullens, I don't think Billy has much trust for them. Bella handles it well, though, I think. She turns things back right at him and tells just enough to get him thinking that she is informed about the Cullens and also that she knows that he cannot tell her or Charlie what he knows.

Yeah. Charlie wasn't that harsh -- he just wanted to know where they were going, what they were doing, and when she would be home. Pretty typical.

I think he is a bit too hard on himself but then again, it's better that than the other way around. After all, he really doesn't want to "slip up" and endanger her safety.

No, not at all. It shows that it wasn't something that he had to think about saying -- it just came out because it was true. :)

I was pretty shocked that she was changed after trying to kill herself -- she seems so very far from depressed now. But it seems like she was in a place where she couldn't forsee life getting any better, but then, now, she seems so very hopeful. Even though she can't see how things will work out for Edward and the girl he loves -- she seems to hold out hope that it will, despite all the troubles. She is such a loving person, and I can't wrap my head around the idea of her trying to kill herself.