General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Moonlit Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Breaking Dawn-I didn't like it

Post by Moonlit Sunlight »

I don't know i am very sorry but i didn't like the book i though that it was a great story and everything but it just wasn't the sort of ending i was looking for. I didn't think that there was enough action and i didn't like Bella and Edward's relationship it's just that i felt that Bella was Hurting Edward so much and i got really angry at her for that and then about half way through Edward has this huge change in attitude and suddenly wants to protect the baby so i didn't like that. Then poor Alice and Jacob i felt like i was going to cry when i heard how bad Alice was hurting i thought that my heart was going to get ripped out after everything that bella and alice had went through suddenly bella turns to Rosalie and she becomes bella's new friend. So i just thought that the book wasn't for me. I absolutely still love Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse i just didn't think that Breaking Dawn was for me.
What a lucky duck! Wish he'd give me a hickey!
"LIfe sucks, and then you die." Jacob Black
Sponser of DBJ & Co. Donating Blood To Jasper & Co.
Moonlit Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Moonlit Sunlight »

BreathelessVampire wrote:Well, I do agree that the characters are not like what they are in the previous books.

Somehow funny, but don't you notice that SM paid more attention to the side characters in BD?
I did notice that!!! i didn't really like it. The reason why i though that all the other books were so good is because SM payed so much attention on the main characters and really payed attention to the small details in the story but in BD she mostly talks about the other people from the other covens. in the end i was so confused because there were so many other charactes that i go confused on who was who and what side they were on and what they believed.
What a lucky duck! Wish he'd give me a hickey!
"LIfe sucks, and then you die." Jacob Black
Sponser of DBJ & Co. Donating Blood To Jasper & Co.
(E.C.Is.Mine)
Wandering Through Town

Post by (E.C.Is.Mine) »

I thought BD was okay. i mean, the ending for me just didn't cut it.
it left you sort of dangling with bella's power that gets introduced on the LAST PAGE (come on people!) but of course, BD was good overall.
I thought the best part of the book was book II, where it was in jacobs' point of view. that really gave me some insight as to what his life his like and made me like him more :)
Suffering from bad cases of OCD and OBD.

Check out my fanfics. http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1699752/omf ... s-my-lover
Jane V
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jane V »

Moonlit Sunlight wrote:
BreathelessVampire wrote:Well, I do agree that the characters are not like what they are in the previous books.

Somehow funny, but don't you notice that SM paid more attention to the side characters in BD?
I did notice that!!! i didn't really like it. The reason why i though that all the other books were so good is because SM payed so much attention on the main characters and really payed attention to the small details in the story but in BD she mostly talks about the other people from the other covens. in the end i was so confused because there were so many other charactes that i go confused on who was who and what side they were on and what they believed.
i noticed it too. and it bugged the crap out of me. i mean, side characters are fine, but if it weren't for that index in the back that SM provided, i would have been totally lost! it seemed like the main characters were kindof ignored and OOC. :(
"quite a pity how things turned out, isn't it?" -Jane, Eclipse

something you didn't know about the Volturi:
Felix has a medical condition. it's called Obsessive Winking Disorder. don't tell him i told you
auburngirl
Settled in Forks

Post by auburngirl »

BD was a disappointment. I was so in love with Twilight. New Moon broke my heart and Eclipse was wonderful. BD was just thrown together too fast! The wedding/honeymoon was great. I NEVER saw Bella becoming pregnant with a hybrid freak of nature that would almost kill her. The delivery scene was disgusting. Why did SM have to write that Bella ripped the placenta away from the uterus? The thought of Edward biting through the placenta and biting Bella all over her body left me shaking my head wishing I could get the picture out. Didn't Stephanie discuss how Jasper had scars all over his body from fighting vampires? Won't Bella have scars from Edward now? I feel like Stephanie wanted to make sure Bella had the full experience of womanhood and having a baby is part of that. She could have made it a little more tasteful though.
I hated Jacob until I read his chapters. He is awesome. I wish she had not ruined him for me by him imprinting on Nessie. SM could have written that differently. I agree with the others that Rosalie was ruined for me after BD. I liked her in Eclipse. She had become nice kind of but then she throws that away by watching Bella drink blood and give birth.
I liked Bella's car and how Edward was able to share his world completely with her. I do not think the sex scenes were needed. Granted it was part of their relationship but did she have to be so vague and yet repetative about each scene?
I felt really let down by BD because Bella and Edward's love was something beautiful and the book made it look cheap. Also, the whole Leah, Sam, and small character development was not something she should have waited for the last book to do. She should have written more in Eclipse or New Moon if she wanted the werewolves to be more involved. Also, where is Emmett's story? She totally forgot about him! He was killed by a bear...that's it? What about Charlie? Won't the Vultouri kill him if he knows about the secret? Bella's powers were barely explained! All these new vampires were distracting from the main characters. BD left me with too many questions.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i LOVE when side characters have interesting stories but SM is just not good enough at it, and certainly not enough to throw it in in BD of all places.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Jane V

Post by Jane V »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:i LOVE when side characters have interesting stories but SM is just not good enough at it, and certainly not enough to throw it in in BD of all places.
i feel [and felt] the exact same way!!! i mean, i like side characters and all, i think they add alot to stories, but it seemed like they were all crammed in and it just wasn't good. :(

it was like they just appeared out of nowhere in BD!!! we never hear about them, and then all of a sudden, *poof*, they're there?!

Felix has a medical condition. it's called Obsessive Winking Disorder. don't tell him i told you
TwilightIsMyBible
Settled in Forks

Post by TwilightIsMyBible »

Wow. I never thought that people (other than my best friend) would agree with me on this.

When I first read Breaking Dawn, I had been up all night after going to the Midnight Release Party reading the book with my friend, Jessie (we did this for Eclipse, too). It was at about 10 in the morning when we got to the part where we find out Bella is pregnant. At the time, Jessie had been doing something else and I started screaming my lungs out. I started hyperventilating. She freaked out, of course, and ran over asking me what was wrong. The look on my face must have been horrific, because she immediately said "Don't tell me what happened" and started reading. About ten minutes later, she had the same reaction, and started bawling. It was so pitiful. I myself was simply angry and took my anger out on the wall as she wailed on the couch.

After that, I thought OK. I can deal with this. Move on. Then, Jacob IMPRINTED on her DAUGHTER. That was a blow to the gut. WHY? I kept at it, because I would NEVER disrespect the series in not finishing one of the books. Eventually, I find that Bella isn't like a newborn. Not at all.

The reason for all of my screaming was that it just seemed like fanfiction to me. Mind you, fanfiction that I avoid. I've read a few where they have a daughter/son that are pretty good. But it's a HUGE category on Fanfic. Most of them aren't spectacular. I have never been one to read Jacob imprints on Bella's kid/cousin/niece, because it was too weird for me. The girl is related to Bella! The newborn thing wouldn't have really bothered me if those two other things hadn't happened.

By now, I've calmed down. I didn't really like Eclipse at first, either, but my reaction wasn't as strong as it was for Breaking Dawn. I got over it. It's still not my favorite (I actually like them best to least in order-weird, I know), but I've decided that it was the only way to ensure that everyone was happy. One big important thing for me was that Jake would be happy in the end, and Bella would be with Edward. And both things happened! So I guess I cant complain. I'm over it. Plus, if you ignore all of that, you have to notice that the characters' humor is greatly shown in this one ;) Especially Emmett and Jacob. (and I agree. Jake's chapter titles ARE hilarious). Plus, I loved hearing Jasper and Emmett referred to as Jazz and Em by Edward. It was weird, but cute. Showed they were close.

My Ranks:
Twilight: 10/10
New Moon: 10/10
Eclipse: 8/10
Breaking Dawn: 7/10
Last edited by TwilightIsMyBible on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~TwilightIsMyBible~

"I'm having trouble dealing with the fact that Edward Cullen isn't real."
Ellie Ibis
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Ellie Ibis »

Oh, Breaking Dawn. Oh, oh, oh Breaking Dawn.

Now, don't get me wrong--I don't think the other books are Pulitzer-worthy either, but I enjoyed them. It almost hurt to read Breaking Dawn, however.

Where can I start pleading my case of disdain? Mechanically or plot-wise? I'll start with the mechanics, I suppose:

Changing character point of views in the middle of a novel:
This for so long just seemed like a given of reading a novel, especially an already established one. Twilight is written in Bella's point of view. The first three novels are written in Bella's point of view. I cannot even establish how utterly unprofessional and amateurish it is to switch POVs in an already established series. It's something you don't do, and why? Because it doesn't work and it doesn't make sense. When reading BD how many of you can honestly say you read through Jacob's part and felt like it actually fit in with the novel? If you say yes, you're lying. =P (That was a joke, although I would be inclined to think you don't read much outside of remedial teen novels.)

Twilight is not a series in which the books are written in different POVs. Twilight is not a series in which every chapter is a different person's view or every other book. Twilight is supposed to be Bella's account of her meeting Edward up until she becomes a vampires and reaches some for a closure in her life. Twilight is not Jacob watching Bella prattle along her pregnancy and describing to the mechanics of him forming a new pack. Although I'm thankful for Jacob's section--it was the only enjoyable thing in the book--it doesn't work in the series.

Setting up a plot and disregarding it:
Oh no! Oh no! The Voltouri are coming! There's going to be a battle! People will die! There might be some real action here, kids! There might be some real problems! There might be an honest-to-god conflict worth noting!

... or, wait, nope. No dying today kids. That wouldn't fit in with the picture perfect ending we have to have for the series. The unrealistic, picture perfect ending where everyone is happy and even Jacob finds tru luv.

Now I'll start with the actual plot. Let's take it step-by-step:

The wedding and the honeymoon:
To begin with, I was sorely disappointed in how Bella's mother rolled over and accepted the wedding. But beyond that there is little in terms of the wedding I can really complain about. It happened, alrighty, let's move along.

The honeymoon was nothing but an unneeded focus on Bella and Edward's sex life. Yes, it was important to note how sex effected their life, but the real problem lies in how it didn't seem to effect them at all, beyond turning Bella into some kind of sex fiend. And wanting to stay human just so they could canoodle more? Really, Bella? Personally, I think SMeyer really belittled Bella and Edward's relationship with that move. Bella doesn't have enough respect for Edward's woes and worries to listen to him about staying human awhile longer, but having sex changes her mind just like that?

That being said, I wish there was more sweet honeymoon scenes that didn't revolve around sex. One that strengthened their relationship without strengthening their sex life, if you could really call what they had a sex life.

Bella's what? Pregnant? Really now? And she's going to keep the little spawn?:
You know, barring my issues with the pregnancy entirely, I really dislike how Bella disregards Edward's opinions about the baby, too. The baby was killing her, and to some extent I can understand her selflessness because that was simply part of her character, but I cannot understand how she was willing to drink blood for the little spawn. Bella, who passed out at the mere smell of blood in the first book? She was a doormat to Rosalie, and a jerk to Edward, and it just seemed like I wasn't reading of Bella, I was reading about some strange Bella-like creature who had little in terms of personality beyond "wanting to save the baby".

Surprise! Renessme, your vampiric bundle of joy:
First of all, poor kid got saddled with the second worst name ever (first worst? Espn), but beyond that she just unnecessarily perfect, and it seemed her precociousness was completely a cop-out. Bella isn't ready to take care of a child, so how can we relieve her of that responsibility? Let's make the child unnecessarily advanced! Let's make her even more special and dazzling than both her parents, and so likable that a herd of vampires who barely even knew her or Bella want to protect her.

Jacob and the spawn:
Cop. out. Nothing more to say. And Jacob was a real jerk to Bella being around Nessie. Babe, you might have imprinted on her but Bella's her mother. Get over it.

Bella's Transformation:
I can understand her gift to protect against mental powers. I really can. I liked that. It was pretty thoughtful of SMeyer. However, I don't like how she just skipped right over being a newborn. Yes, she had always taken thing extraordinarily well, especially strange things, but this is the same Bella that couldn't resist the urge to canoodle poor Edward every five seconds. Mentally, she was well prepared for shocking news, but she was a completely slave to her physical urges in the first half of the novel. For no reason at all should she have been able to resist her physical urge to drink blood. SMeyer basically contradicted herself with that.

Other than that, I really don't remember much about Bella's transformation. I was too busy being annoyed as I read about random vampires decided to protect the spawn for no real reason.

Edward:
Was he even in this book?

I'll think I'll stop here for today. I've got things to do.
the cops & the kids & the cats & the robbers
& the stolen moments from the out of tune guitars
Jane V

Post by Jane V »

^OMG, Ellie Ibis. that was amazing. you basically summed up how i felt about Breaking Dawn. you seriously just said exactly what i was thinking when i read the thing. ok, sorry, had to say that.

anyway, um, so all of a sudden there's this new character in the book who is even more amazing than the TWO MAIN CHARACTERS. we've already covered this, i know, but i think thats what i hated most about BD.

and also...Jane. i thought Edward said that she can only attack one person at a time. but, at the final battle, Bella thinks "the moment Edward said Jane's name, 10 sharp points hit my shield" or something that basically says that. wait, i thought Jane could only hit one person at a time. wasn't it Alec who can get everyone at once??? sorry, thought that was odd.

and i completely agree with everyone who said they thought they were reading some bad fanfiction by mistake. i would go on fanfic before BD and see sumaries like "Bella has a kid and Jake imprints on it." i was like, ew, gross, like that would ever happen. and lo and behold, it did. ok, i'll stop now.