Discussion of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Review Time: I didn't like the Eclipse movie

Post by December »

Not everybody likes everything. This is a thread where you can post your review if you didn't like the movie, and meet other fans who felt the same.

Please remember that this is a review thread, not a discussion thread. If you liked the movie, there's another thread for you to post your own review on. Please be respectful of others' opinions.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Re: Review Time: I didn't like the Eclipse movie

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

I think it's pretty much physically impossible for me to like Eclipse, all the way. I'd be in the middle about this movie, but there were just enough bad parts that it ruined anything good.

Good parts- the fighting. I still love the way they do the wolves. They look a little chubby, but I'll attribute that to all the hair, like wooly mammoths. They way they move and run and fighting and rip off limbs is astoundingly well done. I might have drooled a little, watching the wolves fight. The vampire fighting was pretty cool, usually. I really enjoyed Jasper punching the newborn in the head and the explosion of dust that poofed out (hardly how vampires die, but whatever), and the occasional body parts you could see flying.
-Edward's morals- Hoorah for getting married before doing the naughty!
-Acting. Robert's facial expressions didn't look so constipated this time and Kirsten didn't blink as much, as far as I could tell. They seemed a bit more... natural this time around. But only a bit.

Bad parts- the fighting. I thought Victoria vs Edward was silly. There was none of the dancing described in the book, and fights between experts (which for some STUPID reason, none of the directors have caught on to the fact that Edward is amazing at fighting, and they prefer "dramatic tension" over accuracy. They can still let him have the advantage and it still be a struggle for him to win.) are really like a well choreographed and deadly dance. Victoria's death was boring, too. Vampires aren't like zombies, their bodies can still move with a head! Otherwise, how the crap would body parts glue themselves back together? I wish her head had a least gone flying, too, and for her corpse to look a bit less like a well made paper mache model. And some of the newborns fighting each other was pretty pathetic, even after reading BT and its lack of fighting description.
-the romance. I pretty much fell asleep any time Robert, Kirsten and Taylor were on screen (unless Taylor didn't have a shirt on or he was fighting and ripping off random appendages). I have no interest in their stupid little love triangle anymore. However, I'm a little glad they actually managed to pull some original lines out of the book and leave them intact. There were a few scenes where the entire intent of the original scene was changed, though, which pissed me off.

When I go see it again, I'll pay attention for specifics. Last night I was on a huge sugar high so everything is pretty delirious in my head right now.
missfitzgig
Settled in Forks

Post by missfitzgig »

I didn't like the fight sceens either. What was up with them breaking like they were glass? And Edward telling Victoria that he killed James?? Didn't Alice pull his head off in the background while Edward sucked the poison out of Bella's (hand) wrist?? Or was he just telling her that to piss her off?

I think that I love the books so much that any movie will just disappoint me. It seems so rushed. I think Taylor did the best acting job. I am still not sold on Kristen. At points she looks cross eyed. I don't love Rob. I just don't think he is beautiful enough. After I saw twilight I figured I better get use to him cause he is 'Edward'. But from certain angles he just looks weird. Xavier (the actor that played Riley) now he was pretty. He has nice lips. Isn't Edward suppose to have nice lips? After reading Bree's book I thought there would be a little more of that worked into the movie. I don't know.

I actually started reading the series after the first twilight movie came out. I didn't watch it (Twilight) until after I read new moon. I was so excited to see it. It was such a let down. I actually had to go back the next day and reread alot of the book because I was thinking I had made stuff up in my head. But it was still there in print, just skipped over in the movie. I can't believe they are letting the same screenwriter, Melissa Rosenberg continue. Not good. Guess they know we will pay to see it either way.

On a positive note I like that they showed Jake's letter to Bella.

Thanks for letting me vent.
missfitzgig
Settled in Forks

Post by missfitzgig »

and they didn't include my favorite line in the book which I have dog eared.

He sighed. "The clouds I can handle. But I can't fight with an eclipse."
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Actually, I hated Xavier's lips. I might be biased about the shapes of men's lips, though- no one can compare to Brendon Urie. (Or Larry the Cucumber! :D )

I'll revise my position slightly- I don't hate Taylor. Considering that this is Hollywood and they SUCK at casting, he was probably the best Jake they could find. He's not a bad actor. I like the emotion he manages to put into his work, despite the cheesy writing they give him. In particular, his last goodbye to Kirsten, while he was busy healing and all sweaty (That made me remember when I used to actually think he was hot, yummm sweaty boys), rang fairly true to me. He's not bad, so I'll give him some credit. When he was on screen was one of the very few times I actually paid attention to the movie.

I still can't stand Robert or Kirsten though, even with Robert's vague improvments in the facial expression department. He tries to cover up the accent too much, make his voice all smooth. It just sounds fake to me.
AyaDiefair
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by AyaDiefair »

Okay, so my second time around in watching Eclipse and...I don't really like it. Danyvampiregirl_13 & Missfitzgig pretty much wraps it up for me.
missfitzgig wrote:I didn't like the fight sceens either. What was up with them breaking like they were glass? And Edward telling Victoria that he killed James?? Didn't Alice pull his head off in the background while Edward sucked the poison out of Bella's (hand) wrist?? Or was he just telling her that to piss her off?
Yeah they breaking like glass was a little odd, but I guess they wanted to make it look as PG-13 as possible. The newborns would've had some blood coming out of their torn off limbs, but...glass works too. :lol: As for Edward telling Vicky he killed James, Alice, Emmett, and Jasper did that. I guess it was just to provoke her more then anything.
missfitzgig wrote:I think that I love the books so much that any movie will just disappoint me. It seems so rushed. I think Taylor did the best acting job. I am still not sold on Kristen. At points she looks cross eyed. I don't love Rob. I just don't think he is beautiful enough. After I saw twilight I figured I better get use to him cause he is 'Edward'. But from certain angles he just looks weird. Xavier (the actor that played Riley) now he was pretty. He has nice lips. Isn't Edward suppose to have nice lips? After reading Bree's book I thought there would be a little more of that worked into the movie. I don't know.
dandyvampiregirl_13 wrote:-Acting. Robert's facial expressions didn't look so constipated this time and Kirsten didn't blink as much, as far as I could tell. They seemed a bit more... natural this time around. But only a bit.
I agree, I enjoyed reading the books and thought that they were so well done the movies seem to do a better job at ruining the books name rather then promote it. If they had a better director, screenwriter, and kept them throughout the movie saga (and maybe stretch the playtime a little longer and stayed more to the book) they would've come out more promising.
I am not a fan of either of the 3 main actors/actress. Kristen has this thing with her mouth where it is open like...all the time with her front teeth showing it just...drives me nuts. And her clueless look in some shots and stuttery responses (I am more pointing at the end of Twilight where she is in the hospital, what was up with that? :roll: ) I never notice a cross-eye thing with her, more like a lazy eye (which I guess can't really be helped if it actually is there), but urgh, To be honest I think I would've portrayed and acted as Bella much better with just 3 years of high school drama classes. Rob is not much better. I do agree with you that he looks weird, and sometimes I am not sure what emotion he is trying to express with his flat looking face. I have the least nit picks about Taylor. His crooked smile is cute and probably did the best out of the poor script he was given. And he looks niiiice with that 6 (or is it 12?) pack. Rileys face seemed to square and his lips, to me, were a little to full.

missfitzgig wrote:I actually started reading the series after the first twilight movie came out. I didn't watch it (Twilight) until after I read new moon. I was so excited to see it. It was such a let down. I actually had to go back the next day and reread alot of the book because I was thinking I had made stuff up in my head. But it was still there in print, just skipped over in the movie. I can't believe they are letting the same screenwriter, Melissa Rosenberg continue. Not good. Guess they know we will pay to see it either way.
I, too, read the books before watching the Twilight movie, I finished the first book and was maybe a third of the way through New Moon before I watched it and I gawked. They changed so much in the first movie. Like, what was up with the greenhouse field trip thing? (Getting back on track) I need to reread the books really bad, I lent them out and have only read them once so all my information is getting mixed up between the books and the movies. :o
dandyvampiregirl_13 wrote:-the romance. I pretty much fell asleep any time Robert, Kirsten and Taylor were on screen (unless Taylor didn't have a shirt on or he was fighting and ripping off random appendages). I have no interest in their stupid little love triangle anymore. However, I'm a little glad they actually managed to pull some original lines out of the book and leave them intact. There were a few scenes where the entire intent of the original scene was changed, though, which pissed me off.

Aye, I didn't think Jacob's constant persuasive ramblings of how he loved her was going to be so annoying. Same with Edward. Come on, open the movie up with the little casual kissy kissy 'Marry me' lines...urgh. I wasn't sure if I liked the movie opening and closing with them being in the meadow.

Oh, I don't remember this being in the book, but when they are in school talking about graduation and Alice and Jasper sit down and she mentions she is going to throw a party, I thought it was really cruel of Bella saying that line.

Alice: "It'll be fun!"
Bella: "That's what you said last time."

Alice looked devastated. Talk about putting the blame of putting Bella in danger all on Alice. I wanted to strangle Bella.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, the good, the fight was not bad. Honestly I thought it was going to be a lot less action. I thought that the flashbacks with Rosalie and Jasper were really good, they nailed his Texan accent. I also liked the Quileute story. It was well put together and I thought it was interesting to see that Bella felt a little uncomfortable being there listening to the story, like she felt sorry for the tribe. Hmm...The scene where they are practicing the fighting was nice, a little weird they didn't show a wolf or two practicing but oh well. I liked how when Alice was up against Jasper they were doing their thing and he tried to swoop in for a kiss but she dodged him and swooped in from above, that was really cute.

Overall, the bad outweigh the good. I could go on but...I think I got it all mostly covered.

Anyways, there is my $.02, thanks for this thread.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

I just remembered one of the few other things I liked about the movie: Howard Shore.

Howard Shore is amazing. There is no music more epic than Lord of the Rings, and I heard the same hints of epic fanfares and intense violining in battle scenes and sweet melodies for the mushy gushy parts that are basically his trademark. His composing is masterful. Eclipse wasn't quite on the epic music scale, but considering the amount his music was used in the movie (not a lot) is was beautiful.

I also still love the soundtrack. Only another week or two till its in at the library (I refuse to fuel the franchise any more by buying it even though I love the bands on it.)!

EDIT: Listening to the score right now. Its so much better when I can't see Robert's ugly face... :D
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

Eclipse was an improvement, but that's not a high bar to jump. The makeup and hair (in general) was best in the first movie, but I think this one was the best overall of the series. I know I may get flamed for this, but Kristen is dead weight and brings down anyone she does a scene with. Driftwood has more charisma than she does. I'm worried with how she'll do the happy wife and mom in BD. Her scenes are painful to watch. Sometimes I wonder if she wanted to get fired by Summit.

I miss Rachelle as Victoria and I don't mind Bryce, but Bryce has beautiful red hair naturally. Why put her in that Bozo/Raggedy Ann wig? That type of thing bugs me because it's so easy to get right. Also, Ed's hair hasn't been bronze since the first movie. Kristen's extensions were also the best in the first one and her wig here looks like they reused Jacob's from the first movie. LOL Alice's hair hasn't been Alice-ish since Twilight. They've given her a bowl cut a la Dorothy Hamill in the last two movies.

I do wish we had more of Rosalie and Jasper's stories.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Well, i'm Team Edward, and I liked the New Moon movie more than I liked the Eclipse movie, so that has to say something.

I enjoyed the first two movies. The movie of Twilight was my introduction to the saga, and I've watched enough movie adaptations of books over the years to be prepared for and to appreciate changes for what they give us in place of what they have taken away. So I was not expecting, nor did I feel that I would be cheated if I didn't get strict accuracy to the books.

Okay, enough of that. Onto Eclipse.

From the very opening scene with Bella and Edward (which actually turned out to be one of the best romantic scenes in the movie), I felt that she was just annoyed with him the whole time. I assume that they were trying to bring in tension because he keeps asking her to marry him, but then she gets up and just walks away at the end. I mean, where is she going, anyway? They're in the meadow! Is she going to walk the whole way by herself?

Okay, so maybe I overreacted on that one. But then every scene afterwards with the two of them, with only one or two exceptions, seem to concentrate more on the tension than the love. There didn't seem to be much passion of any sort. Of course, it wasn't just them. The whole film reeked of exhaustion, with a total "we have tried to get this out too quickly" air to it.

And all of the love scenes were bad. The compromise scene - could it have been any stiffer? Given, Edward's proposal was perfect, but the bit on the bed before that - what happened there? Was someone standing off camera with a checkboard going, "Okay, we've got the let hitch, now unbutton his shirt - yep, we've got all the things we needed ..." And as much as I was dreading it, I was practically yawning through the big Bella/Jacob kiss, which was so horrifying for me in the book. As expected, David Slade didn't have a clue about how to do romance.

I did enjoy the fight scenes, although Carlisle should not have been able to sneak up on Edward, and I know that the they had to restage a lot of the Edward/Victoria fight because the fake snow on the set was so slippery, so that was good considering the difficulties involved. I liked seeing Edward goading Victoria, and I would have been okay with Bella cutting herself if they hadn't seemed to spend the entire movie emasculating Edward.

And this was my biggest problem with the movie. It seemed to go out of its way to downplay Edward's role. Bella didn't look that happy that he was coming to Florida, Bella went off with Jake on the motorcycle (NO WAY!!!), Bella resists him at every turn. It's true that this was in the book in terms of resisting the idea of marriage, but with the other parts, it became too much.
And then there's that appalling final scene when Bella says, "Well, it's not actually about you at all, Edward. I just feel I should be a vampire." That was the final nail in the coffin. I went home ropeable.
alexbrown044
Settled in Forks

Post by alexbrown044 »

I am huge fan of twilight series movie. eclipse the first movie that i watch first time on tv not in theater which i like very much. then after i watched all parts of this movie.