Water for Elephants (movie and book)

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Water for Elephants (movie and book)

Post by Tornado »

smitten_by_twilight wrote:
Check his bio, I think there's a few. But the best may be Remember Me. If anyone hasn't seen it, do - not only is Rob really, really great in it, but the whole movie is great. Rent it, though, because you may need to watch it twice. The ending literally felt like someone had kicked me in the stomach.
I was meaning post-Twilight. The critics who are running him down probably didn't see any of his pre-Twilight flicks. And I remember plenty of reviewers criticising his performance in Remember Me, too. I thought he did well there, but I did pick up quite a few accent failures, on his part and on Pierce Brosnan's. Didn't pick up any from Emilie de Ravin, though.
velvet409
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by velvet409 »

Tornado wrote:However, I am now absolutely enraged at the stupid critics, some of whom have criticised him simply for the sake of criticising him. Just on Saturday, in our city paper, the reviewer said something to this effect: "Twilight's Robert Pattinson has many moody money-making closeups. We may never get to see him change expression in our lifetime". That was by no means the case! This is the curse of movies like Twilight; the actors in them have to work hard to be taken seriously. I mean, what does the guy have to do to be taken seriously? I know what he has to do: star in a movie that doesn't make money.
You've totally hit the nail on the head Tornado. The critics have no interest in viewing Rob's performances objectively. They go into the movie already biased and just look for things that they think reinforce their negative opinion. They hate just to hate. Rob did a great job in WfE and I saw no trace of Edward Cullen in his performance. He gave an astounding performance in Remember Me and all the critics did was rant and rave about the movie's ending, calling it offensive. Twilight has given Rob a lot of opportunities but it's come at a price unfortunately. I'm afraid he'll have to work twice as hard to prove himself to the naysayers, and even then there will still be a few who will never accept him.

Tornado wrote:He stuffed up the accent several times in Remember Me.
I saw the movie with my father and he actually had no idea Rob was British until I told him. I didn't notice any slips myself in RM or WfE, though I did notice a couple in Eclipse. Overall I think he does a good job with the accent. I've often wondered if he's had coaching. I know I couldn't fake a British accent convincingly without a lot of help.
Banner by TammyAZ
"Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch."
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I've always thought he has done really well in the accent department, too, especially since he's had no real training in it. There have been a few stuff ups, but generally he does a great job. In fact, like you, I've heard plenty of people express surprise when they hear him talk in interviews. "I never knew he was British!" is what they usually say. It says a lot for his ability with the accent.
Twisessed1221
Settled in Forks

Post by Twisessed1221 »

I have read the book but have not seen the movie yet. The book was absolutely wonderful! Peru, IN has a big circus history. I went there for a celebration of Cole Porter's birthday--which was totally awesome in itself--but they also pointed out other things about the town. I had visited the circus museum that they have there but on this Cole Porter tour the guide pointed out houses that the circus people lived in and it was so neat. I mean they are very small but people still live in them. I just love thinking of what life had to have been like for them. The movie comes out on DVD soon so I am excited to finally get to see it.
If only we'd stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time.--Edith Wharton
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I read the book way before the movie. I can't remember what they changed.

Tornado ~ I was one of those people. I didn't know he was British until I saw him in a interview.
Banner by TammyAZ