Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: The Breaking Dawn (I) Trailer!

Post by Tornado »

I didn't enjoy Eclipse either. I didn't think that Jacob was favoured as some people do, although certainly the motorcycle scene was NOT consistent with the characters. However, I believe that they put it in, not to favour Jacob, but because it was a quick and easy way to get her to La Push for the scenes there.

The movie and its script were sloppy and too quickly put together, and David Slade's approach was completely wrong for it. There were enough Bella/Edward moments for the romance to be prominent, but they were poorly done (as were, I believe, all the romantic moments in the movie) and usually the resolutions to Bella and Edward's arguments were cut. This added to the feeling that they did not have the love that they once had. Adding insult to injury was the final scene, when Bella says that she wants to be with Edward because she wants to be a vampire, not so much because of him. When you take all this, including the ridiculous notion of Jessica Stanley being valedictorian and Carlisle being able to sneak up on Edward ... just generally very sloppy. They were in too much of a hurry to release it. That's one of the reasons I'm glad they're taking their time with the next two.
Jacobs-girl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jacobs-girl »

Tornado wrote:I didn't enjoy Eclipse either. I didn't think that Jacob was favoured as some people do, although certainly the motorcycle scene was NOT consistent with the characters. However, I believe that they put it in, not to favour Jacob, but because it was a quick and easy way to get her to La Push for the scenes there.

The movie and its script were sloppy and too quickly put together, and David Slade's approach was completely wrong for it. There were enough Bella/Edward moments for the romance to be prominent, but they were poorly done (as were, I believe, all the romantic moments in the movie) and usually the resolutions to Bella and Edward's arguments were cut. This added to the feeling that they did not have the love that they once had. Adding insult to injury was the final scene, when Bella says that she wants to be with Edward because she wants to be a vampire, not so much because of him. When you take all this, including the ridiculous notion of Jessica Stanley being valedictorian and Carlisle being able to sneak up on Edward ... just generally very sloppy. They were in too much of a hurry to release it. That's one of the reasons I'm glad they're taking their time with the next two.
Maybe it's just me, but I feel that in Eclipse Bella really feels divided loyalties between Edward and Jacob. The whole kiss scene when Bella sees the vision of herself and Jacob, married with children, drives the point home that although she is obviously in love with Edward, she has conflicted feelings between the two of them. And I think that scenes in Eclipse capture this tension very well....

But I'm a Jacob fan, as you can probably tell (my username ;-) ), so I wasn't complaining about Jacob's presence in the movie.

Each to their own though. :-)
"You want a nice stereo? Drive your own car"" (Bella, New Moon, ch. 1)

"They’re just cliff diving, Bella. Recreation. La Push doesn’t have a mall, you know" (Jacob, New Moon, ch. 7)
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Absolutely! Each to her own.

It's interesting though, in another forum I was visiting at the time Eclipse came out, a whole host of Team Jacob supporters came in saying that the movie hadn't been fair on Jacob (they hadn't liked New Moon, either). I spent a lot of time working out exactly what the problem was for them. In the end it seemed to be that the "Eclipse" line and the epilogue were left out. I understand that that was disappointing for them, and I hope that they're feeling a little better now that it seems the epilogue is going to be included, at least in some way, in BD pt 1. That's what the trailer suggests, anyway. And Jacob's departure is more relevant to this movie than the last, as it's in this movie that we see why he left and, of course, we see him come back.
Jacobs-girl

Post by Jacobs-girl »

A couple of things I thought about: when we see Edward and Bella in the waterfall in the trailer (at 1:24), do you think that will replace the beach scene when they go swimming at night when they first arrive at Isle Esme? I hope not, because I love the beach scene....

Also, I was listening to a Twilight podcast yesterday (Twilight Series Theories) and they mentioned that Bella isn't wearing her engagement ring after the wedding, just a platinum wedding band (can be seen at 1:40). Do you think she'll wear the heirloom engagement ring which Edward gave her, as well as her wedding ring? Engagement and wedding rings normally fit neatly together when you wear them so I was thinking that maybe she'll have to just wear the wedding ring, because the engagement ring (seen at 0:58 of the trailer and in Eclipse) is so big and they might not fit together.....

"They’re just cliff diving, Bella. Recreation. La Push doesn’t have a mall, you know" (Jacob, New Moon, ch. 7)
Jacobs-girl

Post by Jacobs-girl »

Tornado wrote:Absolutely! Each to her own.

It's interesting though, in another forum I was visiting at the time Eclipse came out, a whole host of Team Jacob supporters came in saying that the movie hadn't been fair on Jacob (they hadn't liked New Moon, either). I spent a lot of time working out exactly what the problem was for them. In the end it seemed to be that the "Eclipse" line and the epilogue were left out. I understand that that was disappointing for them, and I hope that they're feeling a little better now that it seems the epilogue is going to be included, at least in some way, in BD pt 1. That's what the trailer suggests, anyway. And Jacob's departure is more relevant to this movie than the last, as it's in this movie that we see why he left and, of course, we see him come back.
Yeah, I agree. It is interesting because I think that Eclipse was quite fair to Jacob.

By the way, a completely unrelated to BD question: I seem to remember reading or hearing that they did actually film the 'scene' in which Bella sees a vision of herself and Jacob as a couple with children but then the film makers decided to cut it out of Eclipse. It's not on the deleted scenes on my DVD. Do you know if they ever released that scene as a deleted scene? I would love to see it.

Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, they did film it, using ageing makeup on both Kristen Stewart and Taylor Lautner. Apparently it looked so fake and terrible they decided it would make people laugh if they included it. This is why it isn't in the extras. That is for things that they left out because they slowed the pacing a little or made the movie too long. That scene was left out because it just didn't work.
Last edited by Tornado on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacobs-girl

Post by Jacobs-girl »

Tornado wrote:Yes, they did film it, using ageing makeup on both Kristen Stewart and Taylor Lautner. Apparently it looked so fake and terrible they decided it would make people laugh if they included it. This is why it isn't in the extras. That is for things that they left out because they slowed to pacing a little or made the movie too long. That scene was left out because it just didn't work.
Oh, I see. Yeah, ageing makeup would probably look a little strange on Kristen and Taylor because they both look so youthful.

Getting back to Breaking Dawn, I can't wait for Comic Con at the end of this month. I heard that apparently there will be something to do with Breaking Dawn which will be unveiled at Comic Con -- a new teaser trailer or a clip from the movie maybe? Getting impatient now... :)

Tornado

Post by Tornado »

They usually do a clip, so I'm guessing that's what it will be. Boy, I wish I could be there!

By the way, you mentioned earlier about the beach scene. I believe that there is footage around of them filming something that sounds very like that, so it's likely it will be in.
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

Tornado wrote:By the way, you mentioned earlier about the beach scene. I believe that there is footage around of them filming something that sounds very like that, so it's likely it will be in.
I think when they were doing the pick-up shots in the Carribean on Easter weekend, there were nighttime beach shots with both Rob and Kristen in the water, with Kristen in a green Kodachrome (?) string bikini. My bet is that that's the honeymoon night ... er, first night that they weren't flying.
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, that's the one. It certainly fits the right scenario.