Chapter 16: TMI Alert

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Re: Chapter 16: TMI Alert

Post by akire »

1 We get a much closer look at Leah in this chapter. After the discussion between Jacob and Leah, do you have a different understanding of her? What is your opinion of her, has it changed? If so, how?

This chapter really gave us an opportunity to see Leah in a different light. I found myself able to relate to her much easier -- because she showed a side of herself that was just bitter. I never blamed her for her bitterness based on what she went through but it made her character hard to relate to. I understand the motivations behind her actions better now.

2. What do you think about the future plans that Jacob, Leah and Seth have discussed? Do you feel that the tribe will let them both go? Do you feel that Seth will stay?

Based on what they discussed I'm not sure either the tribe or Seth has much choice. I don't think Jacob would let Seth leave LaPush/Forks and I'm not sure the tribe has as much influence over Jacob's pack as they do over Sam's.

3. Do you agree with Leah’s assessment in that she is a genetic dead-end? If Leah is able to stop shifting, will her menopausal state end? What are your theories about Leah possibly imprinting?

At this point in Leah's life, I do agree with her. It's sad to say because I like Leah but physiologically she is at a standstill.. I do think her female cycle could start back up if she stops phasing but if the theory about imprinting being all about propagating the strongest wolves is true, it doesn't seem likely that Leah will imprint. At least, not while she's still phasing and is unable to reproduce.

4. What do you think about Jacob’s feelings of betrayal towards Edward, is it justified? How would you feel if you were in Jacob’s shoes?

If I were in Jacob's shoes I would feel betrayed as well. Edward was Jacob's strongest ally & the only one he felt like could he could relate to regarding Bella's pregnancy. Since Edward "switched sides" Jacob feels completely along.

5. Edward now feels that the creature is now a child. Why does hearing the baby’s thoughts change Edward’s assessment of the situation?

Edward can hear the child's intent. He knows that the baby doesn't mean to hurt Bella -- and isn't evil, which is the major problem he had with the baby in the first place.

Image Image Image
penguins.lovely.
Settled in Forks

Post by penguins.lovely. »

1 We get a much closer look at Leah in this chapter. After the discussion between Jacob and Leah, do you have a different understanding of her? What is your opinion of her, has it changed? If so, how?

I always admired her character for bearing the pain of seeing her lost love every day in such an intimate way in order to fulfill her responsibilities to the tribe. I always thought that she was an amazing person, and now I feel justified for having thought this all along.

2. What do you think about the future plans that Jacob, Leah and Seth have discussed? Do you feel that the tribe will let them both go? Do you feel that Seth will stay?

I don't think that the tribe will have a choice. And no, I don't think that Seth will stay.

3. Do you agree with Leah’s assessment in that she is a genetic dead-end? If Leah is able to stop shifting, will her menopausal state end? What are your theories about Leah possibly imprinting?

I don't think that Leah is a genetic dead end at all. I think that when she stops phasing for a period of time she will be able to conceive and her body will return to normal. I assume that the reason she can't conceive now is because it would be difficult and dangerous to carry a child while phasing. I wonder is Stephanie has answered this question, but from her remarks that she might continue Leah's story in other writing I assume we will find out eventually.

4. What do you think about Jacob’s feelings of betrayal towards Edward, is it justified? How would you feel if you were in Jacob’s shoes?

His betrayal isn't justified in a larger sense of the word, but in his own mind, given his own interpretation of the events, it is definitely understandable. The fact that Edward gave him the keys and told him to go was a very very good idea, and a wonderful act of friendship. I also think, in large part that the reason Jacob reacted quite this strongly was that Bella carrying this baby to full term would link her irrevocably with Edward, and therefore she would turn into a vampire and be forever lost to him. She is already married, but the child and the fact that they are both trying now to help it be born is kinda the proverbial nail in the coffin.
5. Edward now feels that the creature is now a child. Why does hearing the baby’s thoughts change Edward’s assessment of the situation?

Well, it is his child, and now that he knows it is sentient and not some strange creature simply trying to hurt Bella I am assuming his paternal instincts are coming out. Also, anything that loves Bella cannot be bad for him. Not even a werewolf.
What Do I Look Like? The Wizard Of Oz? You Need A Brain? You Need A Heart? Go Ahead. Take Mine. Take Everything I Have.

I never had much patience with Romeo. Mistake after mistake. Could he have destroyed his own happiness more thoroughly?
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

my opinian of leah really changed after this, and i always had respect for her actions after this. the same thing happened with rosalie.....maybe i'm just a sucker for true sob stories.... ;)

seth is gonna do his own thing! leah will probably do what she said she would. and jacob, well....who the heck knows??

i agree, i think leah will imprint sooner or later. not much else...

exactly the same....i felt soooo bad for jacob!! :cry:

edward is on an emotional roller coaster. he now likes the little killer!! i was as mad as jacob!! i mean, come on, make up your mind!!
Betting on Alice.
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

Basically all we knew about Leah was that she got her heartbroken by Sam and then was taking it out on the pack. So you see more of her like feelings and emotions and sympathize with her a little more. She's being softer now that it's just the three of them.

Jacob was right, he was already on his way out to begin with and Leah probably wouldn't stick around to be part of the pack. I could see it working, they both got their heart broken and could help each other. I kind of thought maybe her and Jacob were going to have a weird imprint thing go on that was different because they were both wolves.

Eh,.. she might imprint but it's probably not likely. Jacob said it was weird when two or three had already imprinted in their pack and so maybe she will find a guy. But I don't know, maybe if she stop turning into a wolf she will return back to normal. That's why they start aging again so maybe.

I'd be super mad also with Edward. He felt more hatred then Jacob did and now that he heard the baby talk he turned around, but that's how it goes. He was significantly changed because of this moment. But how can Jacob really be that mad at him after Edward heard the baby talk..

It became a real person at that point, made the situation more real. He realized that the baby DID love Bella also and that it wasnt trying to hurt her, it just couldn't help it. I always cry at this chapter when they hear the baby talking :)
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

I think Leah is just protective. She is the only female wolf and doesn't know how that is going to offect her so she's mad.

I wasn't sure about Leah but I knew Seth would stay, Sam said he didn't want to take away anyones free will.

I think she'll go back to normal if she stops shifting, and maybe if she imprints she will be able to have children without having to stop shifting.

I felt pretty much the same. I love Jake I really do, and I probably would of done the same thing.

Thoughts are what make humans human, they make us think things through and make choices. So the baby can now kind of do that.
**Kathryn**
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I always liked Leah -- after that, I just liked her more.

Since they seperated from the original pack, I don't see why they can't go. I'm not sure that Seth would have stayed, though.

She might be a genetic dead-end, but I think she could still imprint -- she just never found anyone yet.

I would have been pretty mad at Edward.

Because he knows that if it has a concscience, it's not a monster, I guess.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I think she clearly has the ability to empathise beyond her own understanding, something which Jacob does not have the maturity or the ability to do at this stage. She is also ready to move on and, as Jake acknowledges, is in a healthier place than he is.

I don't think that they'll be able to stop Jacob or Leah. Jacob is Alpha, so he can call the shots. Now that Leah is in his pack, he's the only one who can stop her. And in spite of his petulant statement that he's going to lay an Alpha command on her, I don't think he really means it. I think Seth's place, at least the moment, is with the tribe, so it's likely that he will return to it if Jacob and Leah leave.

I think it's likely that she will start to cycle again once she stops phasing. I'm not sure she could ever have children, though. Perhaps all this came about because she is infertile. This means that she probably wouldn't imprint either, although there is too little known about the issue of female werewolves, since she is the first that they've had. It would seem likely that she couldn't or she would have just stayed in the childbearing state like other females in the tribe.

I can understand him feeling isolated at that point, but the feelings are unjust. He just isn't willing to accept that the baby could be anything other than evil, where Edward, now he can read the child's mind, sees it isn't so. Edward is, as ever, able to move on in the face of new information, whereas Jake just holds stubbornly to what he believed in the first place, regardless of the evidence.

Because he can tell that the child is not a monster, but has the capacity for rational thought and love. These aspects change his understanding of the baby, as it means it can be reasoned with. Also, as it already loves Bella, he is instantly reconciled to it.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I could understand her actions more, but still don't agree with them.

I don't think Seth'll stay behind on his own.

I never gave it much thought, but I would think that when stopping to shift, she might be normal again. She would definitely be able to imprint.

I would feel the same!

Because Edward now know what the baby is capable of: loving.