1. Were you surprised by the LaPush wolves granting passage to Alice and Jasper or their willingness to stand with the Cullens?
I was a little surprised at them granting passage to Alice and Jasper. It shows how much things with the Cullens have changed. I was not surprised by their decision to stand with them, as it means standing with Jacob.
2. J. Jenks is not a name we’ve heard in any of the three previous books, but seems to be very important to Alice. Why do you think Alice was so secretive about making sure Bella was the only one to learn J. Jenks name?
Because she was trying to keep something from Edward.
3. Edward enters the cottage after only 13 seconds when Bella has asked for 30. Does Edward not trust Bella? What does this say about his self-control and new relationship with Bella since she became a vampire?
I guess he's probably thinking of Alice's departure, and worries that it might all be a trap for Bella, especially since he can't read her thoughts and see from the outside of the building that she's safe.
4. Should Renesmee be shielded from what’s going on around her, because of her, as Bella wants, or should she be told everything as Jacob does?
I think shielding her a little would be good. It's a massive responsibility for her to carry, and it is easy for her to blame herself for it.
5. Do you think Bella’s gloomy reasoning is sound or should she be more optimistic like Emmett and the rest of the Cullens?
I think she has good reason to be fearful.