General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Love Triangle-Bella, Edward, Jacob

Post by Tornado »

I didn't think Edward was much changed in Eclipse. He seemed pretty much the same to me. It's just the love didn't show up so much.
Emmettroselover
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Emmettroselover »

I dont think they elaborated enough at times and clipped scenes either during the script writing process or the editing but either way they did make Edward change a little bit. They captured some of him without really getting down to who he truly was. I preferred quiet rage to the fury they played out in the film. I loved his reaction to Jacob forcing himself on Bella in the book. It wasnt a possessive boyfriend type moment, it was a warning to never do anything to harm the woman he loves again. I didnt like that they changed that in the film. It didnt make it more visually dynamic, it just made things confusing because like SM said, if Edward got that furious and grabbed Jacob's shoulder in a rage, Jacob's arm would have fallen off. She didn't like that scene and Edward's reaction, but I can admit that I prefer the Charlie in the film over book Charlie. Thanks Billy Burke. Eclipse was so lackluster compared to the book and the worst part for me was when Bella got on the motorcycle and left Edward. I understand why SM walked out on that scene because I wanted to as well.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I think SM actually walked out on the "Angryward" scene. She apparently knew all about the motorcycle scene early on, so she would have been prepared for that.

I liked "Angryward". I wasn't happy with Edward's reaction in the book. I felt that getting considerably angry with Jacob over what was essentially an assault of his girlfriend was justified, in spite of the fact that he wanted to step back and let her make her own decisions. I do get that Jake's arm should have come off, though, but nevermind.
Emmettroselover

I know that she was not fond of either scene. For me, book Edward handled it well. He was furious, but it wasnt an over the top type of fury. He threatened Jacob and I loved the way he kept his cool but still got his point across. While scary and pissed is nice, there is something about calm and deadly that is frightening, like he was too calm. It wasnt like he just sat back and let it happen or even dismissed it. He acted like I would expect Edward to act. Edward in the film acted like I would expect Jacob to act, impulsive and not thinking about his actions before doing them. Edward had time to drive there and decide on how to act, plus with Charlie there he couldnt just show his hand like that. The only thing I liked about that scene in the film is Charlie's reaction. I hated that they did not have Bella be furious and try to figure out how to injure Jacob. Instead, she was playing peacemaker which is a stark contrast to book Bella at that point. I also didnt like that they just had her sprain her hand and kind of dismissed the injury afterward. I know it might have been easier to film like that, but it really downplayed the seriousness of it all. In reality, that was assault and I think a lot of Twilighters felt that way when reading it. It wasnt just a boys will be boys thing. Forcing yourself on anyone, even for a kiss, is just not okay so the fury in the book from Bella was fitting and the consequences of the situation were justified. The sound effect was awesome in the film and it sounded like she broke her hand punching a werewolf in the face...not sprained it.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I think it still got the point across that she was reacting strongly to Jacob's unwanted attentions! I still think a stronger reaction from Edward was justified, and I guess we'll have to agree to differ on that.

Yes, SM was certainly upset with both scenes, but she'd lost the fight against the motorcycle scene early on, apparently, so probably just rolled her eyes when it screened. I bet she felt justified when the fans reacted so strongly to it on the first screening at the MTV Movie Awards!
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

*snickers* That was one of the few things both SM and the fans have agreed up is something Summit and possibly MR were okay with. I love that.
Emmettroselover

I am sure she felt quite smug at least for a moment about it when the outrage first began. She tried to get them to understand and they still went with it. Then they got the backlash, so yes I think it was quite fitting. Maybe it was a reminder to the studio that she actually does know what she is talking about when it comes to her characters.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I hope so. It was a pity that they couldn't reshoot at that stage, as Rob was in the middle of filming Bel Ami, if I remember rightly.
Emmettroselover

Yes, but I wonder if they would have even done it if he wasn't filming. Summit does not like to spend extra money in general....you would think they could shell out some extra bucks to make sure the hair and makeup at least look realistic after so many films.....so I doubt they were so concerned that they wanted to reshoot, but Rob stopped that from happening.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

SM did mention it, though, so it sounds like it was discussed. If the reaction was that bad, perhaps they would have considered it. But perhaps Rob's unavailability made it convenient to say no.