Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Edward and Bella 2

Post by Tornado »

Fighting fate wrote: She also scolds Jacob for grinning at the fact for her ditching Edward for him. I think they try to further this when Bella was in Jake's garage and she hints that she will be changed after graduation and he makes the whole "You'd be better off dead" comment, then she says "Edward was right, I shouldn't have come" insinuating that she holds no ill feelings towards Edward and even agrees with him after hearing Jake's harsh words.
Trouble is, Jake still gets to apologise at that point, and Bella stills stays there all day with him. He says that not long after they arrived, which would have been the morning, as she and Edward had been arriving for school, and she doesn't go home until after dark. So they really don't have any real healing effect for the scene overall. If they'd had that conversation later in the day, and had her walking out on Jake after that, it would have made it better.

Basically, the continuity of all those scenes is up the creek, especially since Edward is golden-eyed at school in the morning, but suddenly black-eyed by the time Bella gets back, unless we assume she was down there for a couple of weeks!
Fighting fate
Wandering Through Town

Post by Fighting fate »

Yeah i agree, her accepting his apology for what Jake said like it was no big deal really puts a dent in things. Like i said, tried but seriously failed. The sad part is that if maybe they just added a few lines here and there, or maybe spent a few more minutes really getting to the heart of the matter, it would have made a world of difference. I always cringe when Bella gets on that bike with Edward standing right there, and though I've tried to accept it for what it was, I still try to find something- anything-redeeming, it just will never sit right with me i guess. But what can ya do?

As for Edward's eyes, i never really noticed that bit, but now that you mention it yeah his eyes were black when he got to Bella's and were most definately golden at school. Maybe i just chalked it up to him looking all distressed over worrying for Bella's saftey and being jealous and all that. He does look more manic with the black eyes. But unless Bella was gone for weeks and not mere hours than yes, yet another thing that made little sense about the movie.
I dont want you, i need you. I dont care for you, i love you. Ill be there for you, because of you. I wont kill for you, Ill live for you. Ill do anything for you~~NBB
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

He has to have black eyes at that point because then we go straight into the scene where all the Cullens are concerned about the fact that they have to watch for Victori, the Volturi, an intruder, and feed themselves. It would have worked fine if Edward had had black eyes in the carpark scene. It's perfectly reasonable to think that he wouldn't have fed while they were in Florida.

Yes, I often think of what they could have done to fix it up. I never watch that scene. It makes me angry.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Tornado wrote:He has to have black eyes at that point because then we go straight into the scene where all the Cullens are concerned about the fact that they have to watch for Victori, the Volturi, an intruder, and feed themselves. It would have worked fine if Edward had had black eyes in the carpark scene. It's perfectly reasonable to think that he wouldn't have fed while they were in Florida.

Yes, I often think of what they could have done to fix it up. I never watch that scene. It makes me angry.
Of all the mess ups in all the movies, that one makes me the angriest. My kids always laugh at me because I tend to fast forward through so much of Twilight. To Chris Weitz's great credit, I don't fast forward through anything other than the fight scene in New Moon (because Edward is NOT a wimp!) I just wish a few scenes were added to the movie, like the airport and a better epiphany. Eclipse has a few parts I saw once and will never watch again. The one with the motorcycle is the worst of the lot.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Openhome wrote:
Tornado wrote:He has to have black eyes at that point because then we go straight into the scene where all the Cullens are concerned about the fact that they have to watch for Victori, the Volturi, an intruder, and feed themselves. It would have worked fine if Edward had had black eyes in the carpark scene. It's perfectly reasonable to think that he wouldn't have fed while they were in Florida.

Of all the mess ups in all the movies, that one makes me the angriest. My kids always laugh at me because I tend to fast forward through so much of Twilight. To Chris Weitz's great credit, I don't fast forward through anything other than the fight scene in New Moon (because Edward is NOT a wimp!) I just wish a few scenes were added to the movie, like the airport and a better epiphany. Eclipse has a few parts I saw once and will never watch again. The one with the motorcycle is the worst of the lot.
I completely agree with both of you. My feelings on that ridiculous garbage in the school lot, and the crap that follows it are well documented. But, personally, I think one of the greater travesties in Eclipse and this one lay squarely on the shoulders of David Slade) is the two "deleted" scenes that allow Edward to explain himself after particularly strange interactions (if you haven't read the books that is) Cutting Edward's lines regarding Bella closing the window if she wants him to stay away after the truck incident and her subsequently throwing the window wide open does absolutely nothing to help the continuity of the film, only cuts out a total of about 25 seconds, and does nothing but refuse to show Edward's true character in that moment and the fact that Bella UNDERSTOOD why he behaved the way he did. Cutting Edward's lines after the great dog snog, after she says she loves him more and he says he knows, again doesn't help the continuity of the film, cuts out another maybe 20 seconds, and again refuses to acknowledge Edward's complete devotion to Bella and how he completely (though I'm still a little baffled at how completely) he understands her feelings towards Jacob. Those were two moments when, as I saw them as deleted scenes, I completely questioned everything DS did in presenting Edward & Bella to us.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Jacobs-girl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jacobs-girl »

Jazz Girl wrote:
Openhome wrote:

I completely agree with both of you. My feelings on that ridiculous garbage in the school lot, and the crap that follows it are well documented. But, personally, I think one of the greater travesties in Eclipse and this one lay squarely on the shoulders of David Slade) is the two "deleted" scenes that allow Edward to explain himself after particularly strange interactions (if you haven't read the books that is) Cutting Edward's lines regarding Bella closing the window if she wants him to stay away after the truck incident and her subsequently throwing the window wide open does absolutely nothing to help the continuity of the film, only cuts out a total of about 25 seconds, and does nothing but refuse to show Edward's true character in that moment and the fact that Bella UNDERSTOOD why he behaved the way he did. Cutting Edward's lines after the great dog snog, after she says she loves him more and he says he knows, again doesn't help the continuity of the film, cuts out another maybe 20 seconds, and again refuses to acknowledge Edward's complete devotion to Bella and how he completely (though I'm still a little baffled at how completely) he understands her feelings towards Jacob. Those were two moments when, as I saw them as deleted scenes, I completely questioned everything DS did in presenting Edward & Bella to us.
I'm disappointed by anything they leave out which *should* be in the movie. If it's in the books and if it works okay in the movie, I think it should be there. So I agree with you, especially about that scene in Eclipse. "The great dog snog" (ROFL! That's a fantastic phrase! :D) scene is one of them - although I consider myself to be Team Jacob (leaning towards Team Switzerland) I think that the scene was positioned too much in Jacob's favor and left out some crucial Edward & Bella interaction. I like Eclipse and I like the Bella/Jacob kiss but the way in which it is portrayed is not true to the book and so no matter how much I like it as a Jacob fan, it's not right.
"You want a nice stereo? Drive your own car"" (Bella, New Moon, ch. 1)

"They’re just cliff diving, Bella. Recreation. La Push doesn’t have a mall, you know" (Jacob, New Moon, ch. 7)
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Openhome wrote: I don't fast forward through anything other than the fight scene in New Moon (because Edward is NOT a wimp!)
Losing to Felix doesn't make Edward a wimp. He would have been about the most impossible fighter to beat. Even with Edward's mind reading abilities, it was always going to be next to impossible to win. I thought he put up a valiant fight. Losing to any member of the Volturi guard is not a sign of weakness.
Jazz Girl wrote:Cutting Edward's lines regarding Bella closing the window if she wants him to stay away after the truck incident and her subsequently throwing the window wide open does absolutely nothing to help the continuity of the film, only cuts out a total of about 25 seconds, and does nothing but refuse to show Edward's true character in that moment and the fact that Bella UNDERSTOOD why he behaved the way he did. Cutting Edward's lines after the great dog snog, after she says she loves him more and he says he knows, again doesn't help the continuity of the film, cuts out another maybe 20 seconds, and again refuses to acknowledge Edward's complete devotion to Bella and how he completely (though I'm still a little baffled at how completely) he understands her feelings towards Jacob.
Yes, that made me mad too. And why did he cut them? Because he thought we'd seen enough of them fighting! But he didn't cut the fights, he cut the RESOLUTIONS to the fights. That's a completely different thing! It changed the dynamics completely. And you're completely right, Jazz Girl. Those two parts were about 30 seconds long each, and were so minimal they wouldn't have changed the pace of the film at all. It just shows again how the relational side of things was definitely not DS's strong point, nor was that aspect of the film considered important enough to warrant more time spent on it.
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Post by Alphie »

Forgive me that this is a bit off topic of Edward and Bella, but I just want to jump in here to comment o Edward being a wimp in New Moon. I thought the fight scene was pretty much spot on. Edward has been feeding on animal blood for many years. And just previous to that particular fight, Edward hadn't been eating ANYTHING really. We know that from the books even if it isn't made clear in the film. Felix, on the other hand, has had his fair share of human blood and then some. The human blood would make him stronger than Edward.

And that comment about the great dog snog is so perfect!

OH! And I agree with pretty much everything being said about the cutting of the resolutions of the fights. Here's to hoping David Slade takes the time to let Edward explain himself in Breaking Dawn.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Would that I could take credit for coining the term, "the great dog snog", but, alas, it is not mine to claim. I actually pilfered it from another poster who's name is escaping me at the moment. Like you all, I absolutely adored it, so it kind of stuck in my head. :lol: So, props to whomever it was!!

But, on to the point of my post. Regarding the resolutions of Edward&Bella's conflicts that we do not get to see in the movie, I have honestly always found it downright confusing and irritating when antis particularly use the argument that we do not see resolution to the relationship conflicts against the books and characters. I have never felt that we do not see those resolutions. I have always felt that the resolutions we see were complete were what they needed to be. I have always wondered if the fact that SM didn't have Edward&Bella have full on screaming matches or dramatic arguments was the source of that criticism. I think people nowadays are so use to outright drama that they forget that things can actually be resolved in a quiet, loving manner and without drama if the people on either side are devoted to one another and finding peace. I completely believe that if the conflicts had involved more tension or drama, we would have seen them. But, because they were resolved with quiet words, admissions of fault and pledges of change, the most important words were never put on the screen.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Jazz Girl wrote:Would that I could take credit for coining the term, "the great dog snog", but, alas, it is not mine to claim. I actually pilfered it from another poster who's name is escaping me at the moment. Like you all, I absolutely adored it, so it kind of stuck in my head. :lol: So, props to whomever it was!!
You got me interested, so I searched the archives and found a posting by NoWorries two days after Eclipse was first published.

http://archive.twilightlexicon.com/view ... og#p420319

It's so interesting going back to see the postings right after the book came out. I'm going to have to go back through the archives sometime this weekend. I went to the next page and saw this from NoWorries again:
NoWorries wrote:
Sasha wrote:You couldn't imagine Bella ever kissing her best friend to save his life?
Since she's most comfortable playing the martyr, yes. I can see this. Unfortunately, I DID see this. What I couldn't see is deciding in an instant, with absolutely no forewarning, that she was in love with him and would miss having his dark-haired babies.
"Unfortunately, I DID see this." That made me bust a gut.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”