Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Re: Writers Central

Post by alphanubilus »

Tornado wrote:You're lucky to have an agent, alphanubilus. Getting one is not an easy thing! All the best with your novel!

Yes, I'll have to try elsewhere if this effort doesn't come good. The trouble is, there's so much of this romantic/fantasy stuff in the market at the moment. Mine probably isn't unique enough to receive much consideration. I don't know where else to try. I might just have to shelve it.
Tornado, I'll give you the same advice that I give my other writer friends. Don't compare your stuff to other pepole's and don't worry what is or is not on the market. Just do what you got to do to get it out there. As for finding publishers, or even agents... Barns and Noble as well as numerous other bookstores have Literary Guides that list agents as well as publishers that are accepting new talent. I recommend these guides as they state who is accepting what, as well as give you some good tips and what to do and what not to do. There are also several websites to glean through, especially when hunting for agents and publishers who aren't "predators".

Harper Collins has developed a new site to try out...
http://www.authonomy.com/

It's free. I have an account, but I haven't actually used their services beyond reading a few of their entries. This might help.

In the end, thinking about other people's works, will just get you discouraged. You're always going to think somebody's work is better than yours, but it isn't for you to decide that... It is your readers. :)

Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Thanks for that! :) I have already tried about 13 agents through another, similar site, so maybe I can find some more there.

P.S. I have just had another email from this woman that has made me furious. She has apparently checked with someone who is the fount of all knowledge when it comes to Australian fiction, who has agreed with her and said that my novel must end with a wedding. I find it a bit rich that this woman is making a judgement call on a book which, to my knowledge, she has NOT EVEN READ!
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

Hello hello, peeking my head in.

I wasn't aware one could GET an agent before writing and sending in a query. Well, I'm sure there are some but how quality would they be? And unfortunately, Tornado, since I haven't read the book I really don't know why these people believe there should be a marriage so I can't agree or disagree with them.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

I'm not terribly experienced in this area of writing myself, but this whole "reader opinion" thing sounds a little fishy to me. And is it normal for a publisher to say, "Oh, yes, we're interested in your manuscript, but you need to change, this, this, that, and this other thing, before we'll publish it." I would be wary. Keep sending queries into reputable agents and consider joining a site like the Publisher's Marketplace (http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/) for better opportunities. Those are just my thoughts off the cuff though.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I believe Tornado actually works for the publisher, and that's why it seems different from the norm.

Here are two other wonderful sites that offer help and GREAT advice to authors.
www.agentquery.com This site helps in choosing an agent and has people willing to help you polish your query letter. The forums are fun and the people are creative and helpful. The critique's are harsh, but they are trying to get you published and don't pull any punches.

www.absolutewriter.com This is a website and forum (see right column for the forums) for writers. They offer EVERYTHING for the hopeful writer. Again, the critiques are harsh and thorough, and you need thick skin, but everyone there is trying to help each other.

Keep trying!
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Yes, I can assure you there's nothing dodgy about this publisher! :)

I spoke to the publisher today. I am relieved to say that she took my side. She too thought that the marriage idea was a bit much, and liked the suggestion I put forward about a private promise between them (thanks, Open Home!) depending on whether or not I can make it work.

When I came home, though, I had another email from the reader, replying to one where I'd told her that I knew other series that didn't resolve their romantic series with a marriage in the first book. She sarcastically demanded to know what books there were that ended like that. I happily replied, mentioning Twilight, of course, the Fallen series, The Hunger Games, not to mention Anne of Green Gables, which I'd say she's read, but I'm expecting her to come back to me and say that it wasn't a romance (that was the only reason I read it!). If any of you know of any other series I can mention (she clearly believes that no such books exist) I would appreciate knowing about it, although I probably shouldn't continue this correspondence. It isn't really very nice. Unfortunately, my bad side is overriding my good side at the moment. I'm just so irked that she thinks this is an idea that I've come up with that is unprecedented and clearly wrong on all levels!
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Hopefully, you gave her some pause. :)

I read this on Twitter and liked it, maybe it relates to your situation, Tornado:
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." (A Chinese Proverb or a George Bernard Shaw quote)
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Tornado, sounds like someone's busting your chops over their own private definition of what a romance is. Your guess is probably right, if any romance does not end in a marriage in the first book, then they would simply say "then it wasn't a romance". There's no use in arguing with her. As dear Anne would say, she has no scope for imagination.

Best wishes for success in your writing!
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

What stops this reader from going and taking your idea and rewriting it? I mean, until it's actually published it can't be copyrighted.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

That's always a risk when you put your stuff out there? Isn't it? In this case, however, I would think electronic records of their interaction would be on Tornado's side.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]