BYU is Stephenie a Mormon?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
HipsAndHearts
Learning to Love Green

Re: BYU is Stephenie a Mormon?

Post by HipsAndHearts »

I'm pretty sure that I'll go to EFY next year, as it's my first year. Which one would you go to?
I have to go to Calgary, because there is no way my parents would even think about letting me go to Idaho or anywhere else.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

I'm not going all the way to Utah, but I have friends in Washington, so my friend and I are making plans to go up there. If not, I'll go the the ones in Oregon...
I'd prefer a smaller one, rather than the huge ones in Utah and Idaho...
SethisMine
Official Dog Lover!

Post by SethisMine »

I'll probably go to EFY here in Utah. I'm sad, I missed my first one this year because we didn't have enough money.
ImageImageImage
Survived the Twi-Lex Odyssey
Valentina
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Valentina »

dandyvampgirl - Ah I get it. Ward = parish, stake = diocese.
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

I don't mean to offend anyone but what is the big deal about SM being Mormon. Of course, I've heard of Latter Day Saints (because they have come knocking on my door but when I say that we are Methodist, they just smile & walk away).

I don't understand the difference. One of my really good friends family is Jahova's Witness & I understand they don't believe in holidays or blood mixing but what is that when people say they are Mormon's causes such a big reaction with people? I've been told that in the Mormon religion that sex before marriage is taboo (like Catholics) but why is there such a big "reaction" when people state they are Mormons.

I'm one of those people who try to understand others beliefs & religious practices. Not to condem but just to understand.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
Valentina

Post by Valentina »

I honestly don't know why people react so much. Personally it makes no difference to me that Stephenie is LDS, that's just something about her.

I think Mormonism is something that people don't understand, though. And them, along with the Jehovah's Witnesses (I also have friends who are JW and it doesn't really affect how I think of them), sort of get thought of as mildly crazy, what with the whole door-to-door thing. While other religions go door to door (my dad became a Christian because of door to door evangelists and they were Baptists), Mormons and JWs are certainly a lot more diligent about it... But I really don't understand where the bad reputation surrounding Mormons comes from. They're not polygamists, they don't force their way into your house, they always seem very polite to me...

And I agree with you about understanding people's religions. I think it makes us more sensitive to other people and why or how they do things. As far as I can tell, that's why this thread is here. Stephenie's open about being Mormon, and so some very lovely LDS posters are offering to answer any questions we have and help us understand their faith.
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

I think what I'm not understanding is what the whole big deal about her being a Mormon. To be honest I know nothing about the Mormons other that what is portrayed on tv.

So I'm asking, what does her religion have to do with her as an author. Honestly I don't know alot about Mormon's so why does it play so much into her writing these books?

I have always been intrigued by religion & how they differ/same but why does it matter whether she is Mormon, Amish, Jewish, Catholic, etc.? She wrote a book what does her religion have to do with it?
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
Valentina

Post by Valentina »

I don't think her religion has anything to do with her as an author. But she's said she's LDS and so people are curious.

EDIT: Actually, her religion does have some to do with her as an author, like what I've said about the morals showing through in the book. But anyone could've written about characters with morals, any religion or no religion at all.
sammydk
Settled in Forks

Post by sammydk »

Hello :-)
I'm a bit curious about the whole religion thing: what is a mormon really? (Yes I know I could look it up on google or something, but now I'm asking here)
In Denmark the main religion is christian, protestants. But no one here takes it very seriously. What I mean is we havea very... relaxed way of thinking about things and religion. It's a very common thing to get baptised (I think it's called) here, when you're about 2-4 months old and later you can confirm your faith and what not when you're in the 7th or 8th grade. We have catholics as well and of course muslims.
In Denmark we have a right to speak freely, practise any religion, and speak out as we like. (Though it's not 100 percent free, they just don't tell you that....)
Anyways, I'm an Atheist, I do not believe in anything, but I do respect people for thier choice of faith. And I can truely believe that a person might have the need for believing in something beyong natural things.
I think we came from evolution and all things happen for a natural reason and so on. I quit the Danish puplic church a year ago because I didn't wanted to pay the taxes.
No one here thinks you're weird because you aren't a memeber (my family isn't either) but as soon as you admit, or rather declare, that you're an atheist people might look at you funny. Just as much if you're actually declaring that you do go to church or that you do believe in some god or alike.
The most common thing is to ge something like: 'yes, I am a member, I am a protestant, but I do not practise it, I do not go to church and it's not important to me'.

How do you guys feel about our way at looking at things?
She walks in beauty like the night
Hypnotising the silence with her powers
-Suede, DogManStar, Heroine
Spencer_thefrappboy

Post by Spencer_thefrappboy »

EDIT: OH FRICK! WHAT'D I DO!?!?!
Lidia is a very good hacker, Spencer. She watches everything you do... mwahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahaha
VIOLA WAZ HEREZZZZZZ

Skylar and Valentina-
A. TV rarely gets anything right.
B. Its a big deal that SM is Mormon because we are different, because of how we act and what we believe. So yeah, it does make people curious, because they think we're so different from themselves, even though in essence, we're not, its just how we behave.
Anyone else wanna help explain? I'm not sure I put it right...

sammydk-
Which question do you want first? What are Mormons is a big one, is there anything in particular you're curious about?
So I'll go with how I view Denmark...
It kinda made me laugh that you have to pay taxes. I mean, its not that different from tithing, but that its state condoned, and not really of your own free will just seemed a little odd to me.
And I don't condemn people for being atheist, I have a friend who is one, and I don't treat her any differently.
Its just a matter of how open you are to other people. *shrugs*
I AM THE FRAPP BOY!
And proud of it!
I answer only to Lidia Tagliano!
And I make bloody wicked frapps, if I do say so myself...