Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: The Breaking Dawn (I) Trailer!

Post by RebeccaCullen »

Tornado wrote: Edward certainly got angry with her at other times in the books. Considering how sick she was from the pregnancy it does seem likely he wouldn't have done it much at all, especially once he realised stress upset her, but how did he come to that realisation? He may well have yelled when he first realised she wanted to keep the baby, but we didn't see because Jake wasn't around for it.
That was one of the things I hated about the POV change in the books. All these moments that seemed important regarding the pregnancy, IMO, weren't seen because Jacob wasn't involved in the scene. I was more curious as the what Leah said to Bella after Jacob ran out when Edward realized the baby never meant to hurt Bella over Jacob attempting to imprint.

I haven't bothered watching the trailer recently, partly because I'm still irked over Summit's marketing team thinking that showing Edward telling Bella she doesn't know what she's doing and her telling to accept what is, and then showing Jacob saying to get to her, they'd have to kill him, was a brilliant idea. :banghead: Just based on past marketing, one could honestly and easily assume that the "her" Jacob was talking about is Bella because they aren't paying attention to the littlest details like I did when I watched the trailer. And TBH, I shouldn't have to see go looking for the finer details to see who Jacob is talking about.

Honestly, I was sitting on the fence about seeing the movie because I don't like the book (there are other words I'd like to use to describe the last book but they're not exactly family friendly), and watching the latest trailer released with the scene I mentioned about about having to go through Jacob to get to her and some of the other marketing has put me over the edge and has made me decide not to see the movie in theater. I'm a firm believer that a marketing campaign can make or break a movie. I have no doubt that the last two movies will make their fair share of money, but the marketing tools Summit uses, especially the trailers, have been a complete turn off for me the last two movies. I saw TW in theaters twice b/c I bought into the marketing, and went see NM once in theaters b/c of the trailers, and I gladly bought both of those on DVD for twenty bucks each. But the stuff Summit had done for EC turned me off from wanting to see it in theaters and buy the dvd for normal pricing, and they seem to have done the same thing for BD part 1.
thebookworm
Wandering Through Town

Post by thebookworm »

That's what I thought, the scene where he has his hand on her tummy is promising, isn't it!

Yeah, I know he felt angry with her at other times in the books, but not as highly charged as it comes across in the scene in breaking dawn. I can never recall a part in the books where he actually shouts at her. Like I said, not something he would have done, especially in this part of the book (traumatic pregnancy and all), but I do think it will relate better to the percentage of the audience that are non readers of the saga.

In Jacob's book, he can actually notice the change in her physically when she feels stress (the book pays reference to this when Jacob has his chat with bella, after Edwards request for him to offer her the chance to have pups! lol), so I'm sure Edward notices the change in her also.

In the book, Edward is more mad at himself for putting her in this position, than he is at her for wanting to keep the baby. So was probably far less likely to shout at her when he found out she wanted to keep it. All the way through the pregnancy he is tortured by what he has put her through and totally blames himself.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Edward shouted at Bella in New Moon after everyone agreed to change her. She was also worried about him doing it after she'd been to see Jacob for the first time in Eclipse, so it seems that him yelling at her was a reaction that she was expecting. I'm not saying he did it a lot, and certainly by the time Jake gets there in BD there wouldn't have been any yelling, but there could have been before that. So there is precedent for Edward to yell at Bella, although probably it should have happened earlier.

Edward does also point out, at that point in BD, that Bella is afraid of him, and not of Jacob. He says this in front of Bella, and there seems to be a great deal of pain and bitterness in these words, so perhaps yelling is not too huge a stretch, especially considering the stress he's under.
goldeneyedgirl14
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by goldeneyedgirl14 »

Tornado wrote:Edward shouted at Bella in New Moon after everyone agreed to change her. She was also worried about him doing it after she'd been to see Jacob for the first time in Eclipse, so it seems that him yelling at her was a reaction that she was expecting. I'm not saying he did it a lot, and certainly by the time Jake gets there in BD there wouldn't have been any yelling, but there could have been before that. So there is precedent for Edward to yell at Bella, although probably it should have happened earlier.

Edward does also point out, at that point in BD, that Bella is afraid of him, and not of Jacob. He says this in front of Bella, and there seems to be a great deal of pain and bitterness in these words, so perhaps yelling is not too huge a stretch, especially considering the stress he's under.
i agree with you. It makes sense for bella to be afraid of edward, who is trying to kill "her little nudger". And considering edward is watching his wife die, and he cant do anything with the exception of strapping her to a table, i think edward has a right to be that stressed to the point he would yell at bella. i personally believe he is not mad at bella, persay, but more enraged with himself because he can do nothing, as said above. and if you look at the other times, for example, when everyone agreed to change her, edward (to me) seems upset at his family and himself more than bella.....just my opinion. ;)
"Ooooooh, scary."- Emmet Cullen Breaking Dawn
Team emmet.
"I have alot of scars like yours, Bella."-Jasper Hale Eclipse
Team Jasper.
Both are so hot, why should I have to decide?
goldeneyedgirl14
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by goldeneyedgirl14 »

i personally enjoyed the BD trailer. im extremely excited to see the new movie. im curious as to how they'll keep it PG-13, but it will be GREAT all the same. it seems as if each movie is better than the last, and waiting for part 2 will SUCK!!!!! (no vampire pun intended :roll: )im extremely thrilled to see how it all plays out in the end. i ned not forget my tissue box. ;)
"Ooooooh, scary."- Emmet Cullen Breaking Dawn
Team emmet.
"I have alot of scars like yours, Bella."-Jasper Hale Eclipse
Team Jasper.
Both are so hot, why should I have to decide?
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I may not have explained myself too well. I don't think Bella is really afraid of Edward (afraid for their baby and what he wants to do to it, yes). In fact, she denies it when he says that. I was simply pointing out that they were at odds at this point, so anger and frustration from Edward, resulting in him shouting at her, is not impossible, and may have happened in "book time", as it were, perhaps when Bella first came off the plane and Edward heard Rosalie's thoughts and realised what she was planning to do. Obviously, by the time Jacob turns up, he's realised that it's not good for her health to yell, but I think he could easily have done it earlier.
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

Okay, I'm wondering now if the scene where Edward throws Jacob is after Bella wakes up. I'd read or saw where he said it was in reaction to Jacob imptinting; but after seeing it, and his unemotional response when he tells the Cullen's that this the reason why everything has changed, it seems like that was either edited out or is a different scene.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Grayce
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I think they were intending it for this film, or we wouldn't have seen it in the trailer. They may decide to put it in number two after all, but I think it's more likely it's been cut and will only be on the DVD extras.