Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Worried about Breaking Dawn?

Post by corona »

Tornado wrote:Just 30 days to go ...
You Aussies always get the first post of the day, it isn't fair. ;)
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Apologies for the double-post.

I saw this from the Lex blog home, some more pictures from BD:

Breaking Dawn Pics!

OK, now I'm confused. What's up with Edward's bloody shirt on the second picture, the one where they are confronting Sam's pack?

The blood on Edward's shirt indicates this is post-delivery, and fairly soon afterwards at that. First of all, I can understand why he is outside facing the wolf pack, but I don't like him being pulled out of the house like that. It would be tortuous for him to leave Bella's room, much less the house itself, which is why I think even having him go downstairs to confront Jacob is bending the canon a lot.

But isn't the critical plot twist of the imprinting supposed to be the wolf pack's almost sacred allegiance to the rule of not attacking imprintees, leading to the binding of the wolf packs to the Cullens, the final settling of any treaty disputes, and ultimately to the iron-clad alliance against the Volturi? If this is post-delivery, why is the wolf pack attacking if Jacob has already imprinted on Nessie? Who is it that the wolf pack is attacking?

If it is post-delivery, I can only think of three scenarios. One is that the canon for imprinting is thrown completely out the window; I would consider that scenario highly doubtful, though, that particular part is just too critical to the final book. The second scenario is that Jacob doesn't start off by telling Sam he has imprinted on Nessie and only does so later after he has phased; I hate it, though, when something happens because one of the characters conveniently becomes too stupid to state the obvious. The third scenario, while it may seem bizarre, is that Jacob hasn't imprinted yet. That would explain why the wolf pack still attacks with Nessie as the obvious target. Perhaps the attack is called off once Jacob somehow imprints on Nessie during the fight, and Edward then confronts Jacob afterwards. But then that has Jacob willing to defend the child upfront, which is a complete turnaround for his book character, unless he knows for sure that Bella is going to make it and he doesn't go insane with rage and grief; that would entail a complete rewrite for...just about everything. Maybe they even have Jacob staying in the room with Bella instead of leaving. I don't mind cleaning Jacob up some for the imprinting scene, I thought it had to be done, but I hope this isn't turning out to be a Saint Jacob moment.

I guess we will all find out in a month. No matter how I look at it though, the attack at that particular time just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. Before the delivery, yes; afterwards, no. Maybe I am reading this whole thing wrong and this scene isn't post-delivery.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

corona wrote:But then that has Jacob willing to defend the child upfront, which is a complete turnaround for his book character, unless he knows for sure that Bella is going to make it and he doesn't go insane with rage and grief; that would entail a complete rewrite for...just about everything. Maybe they even have Jacob staying in the room with Bella instead of leaving. I don't mind cleaning Jacob up some for the imprinting scene, I thought it had to be done, but I hope this isn't turning out to be a Saint Jacob moment.
And I think I felt a little disgusted reading that only because it would make my assumptions about when I originally watched the scene right and it would look really bad on Summit.

The only other alternative I can think of, that I find even remotely acceptable, is that Jacob tells the pack that he's imprinted on Renesmee but the pack doesn't care b/c they still view her as a threat to everyone and are going to attempt to kill both Jacob and the baby.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

RebeccaCullen wrote:The only other alternative I can think of, that I find even remotely acceptable, is that Jacob tells the pack that he's imprinted on Renesmee but the pack doesn't care b/c they still view her as a threat to everyone and are going to attempt to kill both Jacob and the baby.
Yes, I thought and thought about that. That would be throwing the canon out the window for the sake of the movie. And I think they could do it and probably get away with it without doing harm to the final movies. The imprinting helps in a few areas, such as the wolf pack tolerating red-eyed vampires on their territory as long as they are allied to protect Nessie. A lot of that, though, are subtleties and details that the movie can just gloss over.

So, yeah, the movie wolf pack might not give a diddly about Jacob imprinting. But I would think those details would be extremely important to SM, they were there since Forever Dawn. Would she agree to just have them written out of the final movies? You would think Bill Condon would also see the usefulness of those details and not simply discard them out of hand. You could just gloss over it, but why not use that aspect of imprinting as a ready explanation for the pack's solidarity with the Cullens?

Here is one more thought on that. What stops the wolf pack during the fight? Something must happen that brings that fight to an end, what is it? They are there to fight to the death regardless, would they stop just because Emmett is threatening to rip off Jared's head? I don't think so. But if Jacob runs into the house to protect Nessie and then imprints on her there, that would stop everything. And now, ironically, you have a reason why Edward left Bella's room that actually makes more sense. He left because of the attack, not the imprinting, but once the wolf pack stops its attack he turns on Jacob as a target of opportunity.

Hmm, that sounds like something that MR would come up with.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Someone has already told me exactly what happens in this scene (unfortunately) but I will not relay it here because I know you probably don't want to know. However, if you do want to know PM me and I will tell you.

I know someone at twifans pointed out that, in a similar shot to this, Bella can be seen in the Cullen's living room lying on the couch. This may mean that either a) the birth was in the living room or b) Edward carried her down there after she started transforming. So Edward isn't too far away from her, and I think it's logical to assume that he would come out to defend her at that stage with the wolves so near.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Tornado wrote:Someone has already told me exactly what happens in this scene (unfortunately) but I will not relay it here because I know you probably don't want to know. However, if you do want to know PM me and I will tell you.
Does "probably don't want to know" mean that we want to be surprised when we see the movie, or does that mean you think we wouldn't like what is going on in that scene? By the way, once the movie is out, you'll have to give us the dish on whether or not the juicy info you got was right.
Tornado wrote:I know someone at twifans pointed out that, in a similar shot to this, Bella can be seen in the Cullen's living room lying on the couch. This may mean that either a) the birth was in the living room or b) Edward carried her down there after she started transforming. So Edward isn't too far away from her, and I think it's logical to assume that he would come out to defend her at that stage with the wolves so near.
If so, then that confirms that these shots are absolutely post-delivery. The fact that Bella is nearby on the first floor makes more sense in one way, but I can't picture Edward not having her in a private room either. The only thing that seems to make sense is that the emergency delivery is carried out in the living room, and then something interrupts the scene, either the imprinting or the wolf attack, so there's no time for Edward to change his shirt or remove Bella to a more private location. If the delivery is in the living room, then Jacob doesn't leave Bella, because there is nowhere else to go; it's either that or he does leave by going outside. And that could mean that it is definitely possible that the imprinting has not occurred yet, everything is happening too fast.

Aha! Canon is Jacob leaves Bella but has nowhere else to go and therefore heads downstairs where Nessie is, and the crossing of paths becomes inevitable and unavoidable. But if this is done in the living room and Rosalie removes Nessie and goes into a private room while Jacob is still concentrating on Bella, then Jacob would not inevitably imprint on her right away. The canon of the private room and open living room is reversed, and that one change could enable everyone else to stay mostly in canon form but delay the time of imprinting.

How about this? The wolf pack attack is called off when Rosalie appears with the child at a window, and Jacob turns and sees them and then imprints on Nessie. The moment of imprinting is done is wolf form, letting Taylor off the hook for having to portray that himself, while emphasizing the primal, mystical, wolfy nature of the imprint instead of the young adult male nature of Jacob.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

corona wrote: How about this? The wolf pack attack is called off when Rosalie appears with the child at a window, and Jacob turns and sees them and then imprints on Nessie. The moment of imprinting is done is wolf form, letting Taylor off the hook for having to portray that himself, while emphasizing the primal, mystical, wolfy nature of the imprint instead of the young adult male nature of Jacob.
That sounds just fine with me, having wolf-Jacob imprint on Renesmee because a very big part of me doesn't think TL can pull it off with the acting I've seen at this point.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

It's possible my source is wrong, although I must confess I didn't believe this person, then something I saw on the trailer suggested that they were absolutely spot on. So I'm starting to think that they are right.

Also, if you've seen the new behind the scene stuff out, it does look like Bella's delivering in an area that is not part of the living room, at least, not part of the living room that we've seen so far, anyway. It looks more like a library, so I'd say it's Carlisle's study. Maybe they just felt they needed to move Bella back to the living room for some reason, I don't know.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

I'm guessing that this is where we see what Bella describes at the beginning of her third book in BD. She briefly touches on the fact that Sam's pack had to back off because Jacob told them about the imprinting. So, my theory is that the imprinting happens as it does in the novels (TL talked about the "turn and imprint" moment at CC2011 so we know that happens while he's human) and this scene is what Bella glossed over in her explanation. Edward is still dressed in his bloody clothes because he's been so focused on staying with Bella as she changes that he couldn't be bothered to change. The imprint is revealed when Sam's pack attacks after the birth as they pretty much said they would in the novel. Only that reveal is what would make them back off. That's what we see when we hear Jacob use the line, "if you kill her, you kill me too." As for why Bella is visible through the window, I have to figure maybe they move her because of the blood from the birth, maybe and not wanting the leftover scent to overwhelm her when she wakes? That I guess we'll have to wait and see about.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Hm ... it will certainly be interesting to see how they do it.