Chapter 7: Unexpected

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
you.are.my.heroin
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 7: Unexpected

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella?
I'm 17...so I don't have kids

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy?
I'd be fricken happy, because Edward had wished Bella to be pregnant.

3. Was the pregnancy as unexpected for you as it was for Bella and Edward?
Nah I figured it was something like that.

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs?
It's deffintatly right
**Kathryn**
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy?
Utterly delighted of course. Isn't that what everyone of us dreams, a perfect man and then a child to complete that perfect family you want to have.

3. Was the pregnancy as unexpected for you as it was for Bella ad Edward?
No it was totally unexpected.

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs?
I may not have kids but I know how far mothers would go to protect their young ones. Bella maybe a bit different from an average human and at the beginning she may say that she didn't mind if she doesn't have a child of her own but she will go to any length to protect Edward's child.
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
LoraJ
Settled in Forks

Post by LoraJ »

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella?
I do not have kids

If I was in a committed relationship, I would be shocked, but I would feel like Bella. Thrilled that there is something that is a product of both of us.

Yes! I did not see it coming at all. Not until she started counting did I figure it out. They did not think it was possible. Neither did I.

I think so. She did not realize she wanted to be a mother until it happened. She knew it was her only shot, and she already loved it. It must have hurt her to see Edward hurt, but she did what she felt was the right thing.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

N/A

It depends on how far we are into the relationship, and how old I am when it happens.

I've never been pregnant, thank God... XD

Yes, I do. In most cases, the bond between mother and child is incredibly strong, so it makes sense that Bella is protecting her baby.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I was terrified of the idea of going through labour. I think Bella had more of a reason to be scared than I did. Also, unlike Bella, mine wasn't as bad as I was fearing, at least, as far as pain went. I was still scared of the coming pain throughout the pregnancy, though, and I didn't really enjoy being pregnant.

No. It was pretty clear from early on that she was pregnant.

I can understand why she did it. It was clear he wasn't going to except no for an answer in this instance, with her life so clearly in the balance. Perhaps she should have tried to talk to him more about it, and told Rosalie to back off a little. Rosalie's behaviour is a bit much.
Nora

Post by Nora »

I think first I would be shocked . But later I would be really happy . It also depends on if he would like to have kids and how old I am, because I don't want to have kids very young .
Totally . I couldn't see that one coming .
Ofcourse it was . It was her baby and ofcourse she will protect her . I'm sure all mothers are like that .
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I always knew I wanted to have children, so nothing changed for me when I was pregnant :)

Yep, it wasn't an intentional pregnancy. I was very, very happy though!

Definitely. When I became pregnant, at the top nr.1 was my baby. I think every mother should think of her child first, even before her partner, at all times.
adorey
Settled in Forks

Post by adorey »

I always knew that i wanted to be a mother. It was what my body was designed to do and i always felt that my life wouldn't have had a purpose if i couldn't bring new life into the world. At the same time, there was never a moment in my life where i thought 'i'm ready to have children now'. I never felt broody or ready to settle down with family.

When i found out i was pregnant i had mixed feelings. The first was that i wasn't ready for this, that i didn't know how to be a mother, and the other was a sense of overwhelming joy.
So i guess my thoughts on childbearing never really changed, but i knew without a doubt that i would keep and protect this baby, especially when others were urging me to have an abortion due to complications with my health. I had made something so special with my husband that i couldn't bear to throw something like that away!

It was unexpected for me. I certainly wasn't planning for a child at the time!

I think Bella was absolutley right in protecting her child over what Edward wanted.
It's her body - only she should have the right to decide whether she should kill or keep the child. Sure, Edward was the father, but it was Bella who had to carry the child. If only Edward could have read Bella's mind and felt what she was feeling at the time, then perhaps things might have been different.
However, i can understand why others might say differently. In choosing to keep the child, Bella was pretty much sentencing Edward to death. he suffers from such a guilty complex, that for Bella to force Edward to watch her slowly fade away, knowing that it was his fault, must have tormented him endlessly.

But at the end of the day, the child is defenceless. Edward was not.
It wasn't the baby's fault that she was created in the first place. So Bella was right to put the needs of the child before her husband.
mainhoonemily
Wandering Through Town

Post by mainhoonemily »

I would be terrified but excited, I think. More terrified than excited, though. I do NOT like pain or discomfort, and I've heard too many stories from people about what it's like to be pregnant and go through childbirth!

Yes. I'd heard someone's theory about Bella getting pregnant before I read the book, and I thought it was the dumbest theory I'd ever read!

I think Bella has a lot of faith in Carlisle's ability to save her, and change her if need be, and so it never occurs to her at first to fear the baby or what it could do to her. So with Edward thinking only "kill it, get it out of her," I think yes, she's justified in putting the baby's needs above his.