Chapter 9: Sure As Hell Didn't See That One Coming

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 9: Sure As Hell Didn't See That One Coming

Post by misskiley »

1. Do you feel Jacob was justified in going to the Cullens to confront Edward and possibly start a fight with the vampires even though he was going against Sam's orders?
Like in New Moon, the pack said 'Jacob will find a way around it'. Technically he did. I don't think Jacob should have, but everything that has happened so far, Jacob is so close with them that he had to. He needed to see.

2. Since we as readers knew Bella was pregnant, did her physical appearance surprise you in the way that she looked so sick and frail? How did you feel about the rapid growth of her pregnancy and the effect it had on her body?
I figured her being so pregnant had to do with the vampire baby inside of her, i didn't expect it to be SO fast though. I didn't expect her to be sick and frail either.. Guess I didn't know what to expect lol

3. The ever present tension between Rosalie and Bella has virtually vanished due to Bella's pregnancy. Were you surprised that Bella asked Rose to act as her protector? How did you feel about Edward's explanation on how the family was divided over the issue?
Very shocked. I guess when Bella called Rosalie at the end of Book 1 I was like WHOA.. but then after I learned she knew Rosalie would protect her.. it was surprising, of course Rosalie only cares about the baby, not Bella.. but I guess that's all Bella really cares about either. I wasn't surprised with Esme and Emmett siding with Rosalie.. I was kind shocked by Carlisle though.. that he would knock her out and kill the baby.. that was the most surprising. But he does always do whats best.

4. Edward says sevearl times in this chapter that Jacob understood Bella better than he did. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment? Could Edward's thoughts be clouded by his involvement in the pregnancy, or do you feel that he was correct in saying that Jacob did understand her better?
Jacob picks up on things about Bella very easily, that I didn't even realize from her point of view.. Edward knows how she feels by looking at her, but it's different,.. Jacob saw her at her lowest and helped stitch her up.. they have a special bond. Edward is always saying how Bella does the exact opposite of what he thought she would do.

5. What did you feel about Edward's agreement with Jacob that if Bella died he would allow Jacob to kill him? Did you think it would come to that?

I wasn't sure. I knew if the baby did kill Bella, that Edward would definitely let Jacob kill him,.. he'd beg for it.
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

1. Do you feel Jacob was justified in going to the Cullens to confront Edward and possibly start a fight with the vampires even though he was going against Sam's orders?
No not really, he gave up his right as alpha and he should respect Sam, no matter how mad he is at Edward/Bella. Then again he is the rightfull alpha so maybe he can just do what he likes.

2. Since we as readers knew Bella was pregnant, did her physical appearance surprise you in the way that she looked so sick and frail? How did you feel about the rapid growth of her pregnancy and the effect it had on her body?
Yeah it did I expected her to maybe just be starting to show. I was scarred for Bella, had she finally meet something Edward wouldn't be able to save her from is she going to die?

3. The ever present tension between Rosalie and Bella has virtually vanished due to Bella's pregnancy. Were you surprised that Bella asked Rose to act as her protector? How did you feel about Edward's explanation on how the family was divided over the issue?
No, we all know how much Rose wants a child. I thought it was ethical I guess...........

4. Edward says sevearl times in this chapter that Jacob understood Bella better than he did. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment? Could Edward's thoughts be clouded by his involvement in the pregnancy, or do you feel that he was correct in saying that Jacob did understand her better?
I do both, they both get Bella but in a different way. I think his thoughts were clouded.

5. What did you feel about Edward's agreement with Jacob that if Bella died he would allow Jacob to kill him? Did you think it would come to that?
I hoped and prayed it wouldn't...cause I would of cried a lot
**Kathryn**
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

Somewhat, yeah. He thought that Bella was going to die, and he was angry at the Cullens for taking her life away from her.

No, it didn't. I was already aware of the rapid growth, and what the baby was doing to her.

Yes, I was surprised, but I was happy to see them finally getting along. I felt bad that the pregnancy had the family divided, though.

I think that Edward's thoughts were a little clouded, but I do think it's true that Jacob understands Bella better than he does. Jacob was around when Edward left Bella, and he's seen sides of her that Edward has never seen. It would make sense that there are some things about her nature that he understands better.

I knew it wouldn't come to that, but I understood why Edward said that. He's responsible for Bella's pregnancy, so of course he feels guilty.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

No, he was not. This is one of Jacob's biggest faults. He thinks that he is right about everything and trusts no one else's judgement on any occasion. Sometimes he is right in this, but he is wrong sometimes too, and never seems to learn that he can be wrong.

I was surprised that she was that sick, yes. Edward's reaction to news of the pregnancy is now completely understandable.

I could understand why she would have asked Rosalie. I was surprised at first that Rosalie accepted so readily,until it became obvious that Rosalie is hoping she'll get Renesmee in the end.
I felt this was the first time we really see division in the Cullen household, especially with Esme siding against Edward. It must have been a very difficult time for all of them, except Rosalie.

No. I think that Bella's reaction to the pregnancy was a foregone conclusion, and most people who know her would have guessed it. Edward thinks so little of himself, and of course, this meant came to the instant conclusion (also based on knowledge that Bella didn't have) that the baby would be dangerous to Bella. He simply assumed that Bella would feel the same way, because he is a monster. But of course, Bella doesn't see him that way. I feel that Jake thinks he knows Bella well, but doesn't know her as well as he thinks he does. He is an observant kid, though.

I never thought it would come to that, no. But it didn't surprise me that he asked. It saves him the trouble of flying to Italy.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

No, even apart from the fact that Sam ordered against it... Bella chooses to be a vampire, he knows that. If he really, really, loves her, he just wants her to be happy. I think it's selfish.

I figured something like that would happen to her, so I wasn't a surprise.

It felt natural.

4. Edward says several times in this chapter that Jacob understood Bella better than he did. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment? Could Edward's thoughts be clouded by his involvement in the pregnancy, or do you feel that he was correct in saying that Jacob did understand her better?
I don't think Edward was right, Jacob just got to the right conclusion quicker.

I wasn't surprised about it, but was sure Bella would survive.
thebookworm
Wandering Through Town

Post by thebookworm »

Alphie wrote:1. Do you feel Jacob was justified in going to the Cullens to confront Edward and possibly start a fight with the vampires even though he was going against Sam's orders?

No, at this stage he did not know the truth, his judgement is clouded by hatred, jealousy and being uncertain of the facts. I also wanted him to respect Sam, as he was the one who chose to give up being the alpha (and like Bella, I kind of hate the petulant side to his nature.) However, later in the book, I am very thankful that he can go against Sam!

Lets face it, it was a human/vamp baby, so nothing really shocked me!

No, not shocked at all. There are a few reasons why: Rosalie is the least emotionally attached to Bella herself. so is probably least worried (at this stage), if something happened to Bella. (I say this from the point of view that Rosalie will be much more likely to look at this objectively.) She is the one who is most effected by not being able to have children and therefore the one who is most likely to respect Bella's decision. Rosalie had her decisions taken away from her, so has empathy for Bella, when everyone wants to do that to her. Thanks to their chat in EC, Bella knows this all too well. The explanation is expected to me and I feel like it is the only way it would have happened, the dynamics of the Cullen family is one of the most vital parts to the whole saga imo.

I think Jake knows her better in some ways, this is purely because Bella tends to try and keep the intensity of some of her thoughts and feelings away from Edward, in order to shield him. I don't think Jake necessarily understands her better. To me knowing someone and understanding them is different. I think Edward understands her very well, at this point though, his judgement is clouded and conflicted.

The thought made me sad, but it was fitting. Edward would never live without Bella, especially if he thought he had any responsibility in it. Allowing Jacob to kill him would have killed two birds with one stone; in his opinion Edward would have got what he deserved and Jacob would have been given his revenge (rightly or wrongly.) Did I think it would come to that? No way,I knew the Cullen's would come good, that's what they do!
adorey
Settled in Forks

Post by adorey »

Yes, he was justified. He's still a person and has a right to his own free will. Plus, Bella is his best friend and he wanted to look out for her and protect her. Plus, Jacob sacrificed his happiness for Bella's. the Cullen's owed Jacob a debt for helping them fight the newborns, so it was only fair that Jacob should be informed in what was going on.

I was surprised by the description of how sick she was. Bella was so happy about the pregnancy and Edward is so prone to over-reaction, that i assumed that the pregnancy would be fine. It was shocking for me to suddenly realise that just this once, Edward *was* right to react so negatively. I also felt immensely sad about the rapid growth of the pregnancy as that was when it dawned for me that Bella's life as a human would be over very quickly. I knew that she would turn into a vampire, but for 3 books, i was used to seeing things through Bella's eyes as an ordinary teenage girl. Once i knew that her mortal life was starting to fade away, i found that i was really going to miss 'human Bella'.

I wasn't surprised that Bella had turned to Rosalie for help. We knew that Rose really wanted a child of her own, which was the reason why she resented Bella so much. In Rose's eyes, Bella was finally doing the right thing, so any enmity between the two characters dissipated. I was really surprised when Edward said that Carlisle wasn't willing to help as i thought he would have Bella's best interests at heart, despite what his wife thought. I understood Esme's support in Bella as she must have been thinking of the loss of her own baby in her own human life.

4. Edward says several times in this chapter that Jacob understood Bella better than he did. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment? Could Edward's thoughts be clouded by his involvement in the pregnancy, or do you feel that he was correct in saying that Jacob did understand her better?

I neither agree nor disagree with this. On the one hand, Jacob does perhaps understand Bella better than Edward, as they grew up as kids together. He would have probably seen Bella during the summer holidays she went to stay with Charlie as a child. Plus, Edward was born from another time and so would see the world in a different way to how Bella sees it. Jacob is also a 21st century guy and therefore would probably understand how Bella views the world more than Edward would.

However, i do think that Edward understands Bella on a similar level to Jacob, just from maybe a different angle. Both he and Bella went through life as outcasts in a way, not fitting in at school and both have an old head on young shoulders. Edward probably knows every single little thing about Bella - especially after quizzing Bella in Twilight about the littlest things, like what her favourite colour is. Plus, he can remember every little thing that Bella tells him. I imagine that during the nights when she's sleeping, Edward spends the hours mulling over every single decision or remark that she says and trying to understand why said/did the things she did.

I thought that was exactly the kind of thing Edward would get Jacob to do. We knew from New Moon that he wasn't prepared to live without Bella and i thought it would come to that.