Rob's Halfway House #11

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Susie
Frozen in Time

Re: Rob's Halfway House #11 **SPOILER FREE ZONE**

Post by Susie »

Whoo hoo!!

What a great finale - way to go Bill Condon and Company!!

Can't say much more than that right now for two reasons: 1) Spoiler stuff to go on Spoiler thread tomorrow and 2) Other profound comments about the Saga ending and the fandom and us will need a more rested brain to compose. Rest assure, of the latter, I have MANY thoughts, and on the former, I'm sure I'll be echoing others' comments.

I had a cocktail by my side during the movie, which is really the way to do it, folks! I had a Rob Roy (didn't even get the connection until now) It's essentially a Manhattan, except Scotch instead of Bourbon with Sweet Vermouth and cherry juice. I wish you all could have seen it in a VIP 21+ theatre with a drink. I think Tonise did VIP too?

After the movie the four of us went back to my hotel suite and we had a great discussion of it all. The two younger ones went home to their families around 2:15 am and my friend from 7th grade and I went to bed in deluxe accommodations. Still, I didn't get to sleep until 3am and then woke up at 9, so I'm pooped! I had to make sure I got up and ready for a skype date with Daughter Dear.

Love What you said about loving Twilight, Jaclyn. Reminds me of why I liked you right away when I was getting to know you.

Sean - When will you see BD1? You'll be totally spoiled for BD2. Sorry!

Sarah - Same! I only discovered Twilight in 2010 too! It changed my life and I"m not even exaggerating.

Lynne - I know it! We're Summit's best advertising for box office sales! We're all feeling bad if we don't get a second viewing in this weekend! :lol: I've got the opposite problem - I have the time, but no one to go with. I prefer not to go alone at this point. Maybe after I've seen it a few times....

Mel
- I'm so happy you have a settled job now and that Buddy is in school full time. How is your mum doing? It would be great if you would join us again on a regular basis. We've gravitated more towards facebook, but this is much better for more in depth conversation with the distraction of other facebook stuff in the periphery, in my opinion.

Songbird - Congrats to your Bug for her excellence in reading. When will she read the Saga, I wonder?

Suzan - I'm impressed that you could do your presentation under those conditions! Who knows? Maybe those are ideal conditions for you - no time to worry!

Lulu - Loved what you wrote, but it sounds way too final, like you're saying goodbye to us! Don't do that!! Still, I truly understand and agree with what you wrote - so sweet.

Austin - I'm sad for you being left out of the first viewing of BD2. Here's where I see the gap is between men and women - women plan these things out way in advance. So if you are ever in a similar situation, I'd take the bull by the horns and suggest a plan ahead of time so that you can work out a good compromise. I'm sorry if I've been too presumptuous. If so, ignore me!

Ann Marie - I know what you mean about being sad about the end, but it isn't the end of our friendships here on the Lex. No one can take that away from us. We've all been changed by our special experience here and I truly believe we have the kinds of friendships that will last, so don't despair. We'll still be checking in with each other. I'm really glad that we helped you when you were struggling. We will continue to do so. Just remember - you give a lot in return.

Rose - Yikes! What a scoundrel your dog is! I hope your laptop gets fixed soon. Kayla (our Mod, Openhome) is doing one of those November Novels too.

When I went to my neighborhood Starbucks this afternoon, I told my barista that the reason I was so spacy about giving her my card was because I was up late at a movie. She then told me she went to the movie too, in fact the marathon! Now I have another TwiFriend! A StarbucksBaristaTwiFriend - isn't that cool?

See you tomorrow!
Susie
Frozen in Time

Re: Rob's Temporary BD2 Halfway House **SPOILERS**

Post by Susie »

Hi all - I can now join your ranks!! Yippee! Too tired to post something coherent right now, but I've loved reading what you've all written. Hope to post tomorrow... :D
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Susie: I'll probably buy the BD1 DVD when I get the money from that big check that I'm supposed to get and when things get settled with my mom (when she finds work). I don't mind being spoiled for BD2--in fact, it preps me for what to expect, so I don't mind spoilers too much.

I had some Taco Bell and I watched the end of the NASCAR truck race from Miami, and in a while, I'm thinking of playing some VGs or maybe even taking a nap, because I've now gotten a head ache. But at least I have some time to think about and work on my fan fic. this weekend before I have three straight days of work before Thanksgiving.

I'll be back later :)
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

TwilightFan87 wrote:Whoa..that's all I can say. I'm still in shock.

Let me start off by agreeing that it was really well done, Bill Condon did it justice, and Carter Burwell's score was brilliant as usual. I loved hearing the familiar music :)

Dislikes-While I understand the whole point of the twist from a marketing point of view (that really made me mad when I saw that on the TV spots, that it was being advertised like that), it still kinda irks me. It was cool in theory but heart breaking to watch...inv- As soon as they killed Carlisle, I started crying..and the worse the battle scene got, the harder I cried until we realized it was a vision! The entire theater sighed in relief! I'm really not sure how I feel about the battle being so literally portrayed like that..it makes me not want to see it again if it's so sad, which really sucks because that's how I feel about The Hunger Games! Gaaa. Maybe after a second viewing, I'll feel different.

I'm not impressed with how Bella's shield was portrayed, they should've made it a different color like they did with Alec's numbing ability, so you can really see what she's doing. The opening was a bit rushed as well.

I'm still digesting it all so for now I'm done :)
Okay, now that it's been some time..I realize I really loved this film :) There was a perfect blend of humor in such a serious film and while I felt it was a bit rushed in some places (after the Volturi leave, all those conversations I thought weren't given enough time, though I did like that they left out the possibility of Nahuel and Nessie because I want to think of her only with Jacob :) What can I say, I love Jacob! :)

I loved that they ended it in the meadow and the montage of the entire cast from beginning to end was really sweet. You so got the feeling of family in this movie..how close the Cullens are.

Caryn-I so so so agree with you about the 'twist'. As soon as Carlisle died, I started sniffling and I got progressively worse through out the battle until I was full blown crying..Jason aka hubby said he'd never heard me cry like that!

Also agree with whoever pointed out about how they left Bella alone with Charlie..so wrong!

I love love love the scene of Jacob phasing in front of Charlie :)

I'm wondering when I can see it again..hopefully soon. This movie definitely requires more than one viewing!
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

I've recovered from seeing BD 2 and now I'm watching tv after work. I'm feeling really drained and I'm thinking its from all the emotions of today! Work was chaotic and I expect it to increase until after the holidays :)

Susie- I totally agree with you that the Saga changed my life! I fell in love with this series. I gained a best friend through these books (she later turned out to be a terrible friend but at least she went with me to Forks) and I love the story. It's just so good!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
lulu
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lulu »

Susie--not good bye to you guys, but good bye to my pseudo-close connection to the actors, directors of Teilight and Stephenie. Getting done with reading BD felt like a sad good bye to the characters, but getting done with the movies felt like a good bye to the real people involved in the movies process. Make sense?

Jaclyn--I love what you said too.

Edwards Wheels--I'm Lulu, 30 years old, born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona, married for 11 years to a truly wonderful man, have a 2 yr old son, working on siblings through invitro, love volleyball, 40s swing dancing, singing, piano, and TWILIGHT! Lol! I went to Great Brittain on a tour with The Phoenix Girls Chorus when I was 15. Such a beautiful place!

Everyone--
I saw BD2 again with my BFF. It was soooo fun watching her gasp and move her arms about during the shocker. Lol, we cried together afterwards. I can't believe it's finally over! I still LOVE the final movie. :)

lulu
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lulu »

lulu wrote:Susie--not good bye to you guys, but good bye to my pseudo-close connection to the actors, directors of Teilight and Stephenie. Getting done with reading BD felt like a sad good bye to the characters, but getting done with the movies felt like a good bye to the real people involved in the movies process. Make sense?

Raine-- that bad experience was truly terrible sounding. So sad that happened at the theater! Glad you got to see it again later. Way to hang in there.

Jaclyn--I love what you said too.

Edwards Wheels--I'm Lulu, 30 years old, born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona, married for 11 years to a truly wonderful man, have a 2 yr old son, working on siblings through invitro, love volleyball, 40s swing dancing, singing, piano, and TWILIGHT! Lol! I went to Great Brittain on a tour with The Phoenix Girls Chorus when I was 15. Such a beautiful place!

Everyone--
I saw BD2 again with my BFF. It was soooo fun watching her gasp and move her arms about during the shocker. Lol, we cried together afterwards. I can't believe it's finally over! I still LOVE the final movie. :)

Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

So this seems like the only place people are actually talking about the movie so even though I've been MIA for like, forever, I'm adding my two cents :)

I want to start with my favorite part of the film, because it really isn't a part, it's like -- twenty seconds. I was SO nervous about how they would end the movie -- not "the ending" but THE END. It could have been an amazing film and then they end it and it's just a hole in your heart. It would not only end the movie, but the entire saga. When that page turned and I saw them hone in on the last paragraph of the book, I got choked up and my eyes filled with tears (I'm not really a cryer in movies). That was paying true homage to the books. They began on paper and ended on paper. No dialogue I can imagine would sound right and I don't think it would have felt right if they were just walking off into the woods. I don't know whose idea that was -- Stephenie, Bill, Melissa -- but it was perfect. It closed the door for me.

Now for my BIGGEST BIGGEST BIGGEST pet peeve. They barely showed Jacob and Nessie's imprinting relationship. I don't know if they did that because they didn't know if the idea would skeeve people out?

I also wish they had touched on Bella's super control more -- I think it's mentioned three times and not shown a lot. It would have been nice to mention Jasper and how he was struggling about how much trouble he's always had and how easy it is for Bella.

I don't care they changed:
-The J Jenks scenes. I'd rather they edit that part to be shorter than something else.
-The order of Bella finding Alice's J Jenks note. I'm sure it was to make the movie flow better.
-I wanted Alec to try to attack Bella's shield and show the wall -- but I guess because of how that scene went they needed to edit that out.

Now I KNOW people are still recovering from the fight scene, but I thought it was AMAZING. Obviously we all knew it was going to happen, but it was inserted so seamlessly that I was shocked. I thought at first oh they're going to try to take Alice but then they'll need to let her go for a reason then suddenly BAM CARLISLE'S HEAD JUST CAME OFF. The entire audience gasped and I even heard WTF really loudly (the words,not the acronym) I also know it has been pointed out Alice wouldn't actually be able to see it because she can't see when the wolves are involved, and I have theory on that in the "New Ending" thread.

Did they do it for the marketing? I don't know. If they had done a thirty second montage, which is honestly what I was expecting, I'd be pissed, but they WENT ALL OUT. I wrote a fan fic and there's an ultimate fight scene in it and THAT IS WHAT I PICTURED (minus the deaths). I knew it wasn't real, I knew it was Alice's vision, but during every one of those deaths I felt my heart getting ripped out. I remember an FAQ by Stephenie answering why she didn't have them fight in BD, and she was right -- it would be a Hamlet ending. Both sides would have fatalities.

No acting really stood out, but the dialogue was SO much better. You can tell Kristen Stewart changed how she played Bella --- I wasn't sure how that would go, but she did great. There were quite a few occasions that cracked me up ("Can I call you Dad now?" "No.") The scene with Jake and Charlie was great...I love Billy Burke.

They did a better job with Renesmee growing up than I thought they would, though the earlier ages she looked creepy. She was much older looking in the film than she was in the book, but I'd prefer that looking at a weird baby. And I have to say, MacKenzie Foy is adorable...I wish she had more lines.

And lastly, Bill picked the most perfect moment from the movies for the montage Bella showed Edward. They were the right moments -- the ones that stick out in OUR heads.
Edwards Wheels
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Edwards Wheels »

Hey, just popping in before i get Buddy's breakfast/brunch sorted. I'm full of man-flu, or otherwise known as a cold ;)
I'm a tad envious of those who have seen the final installment..although i also want to wait as long as possible before I see it...The longer I wait, the longer until the saga ends :(
I hope I can pop in more often Suzie, but with Christmas coming up and Buddy being, well a typical 6 year old, I am busy haha. Hasn't my little man grown into a handsome little so and so?
Anyway, i must get his marmite on toast sorted so til later. :wave:
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Sean - I forgot about the Berlin stuff. I'll have to go looking for it.

Susie - yes, I'm trying to do a lot of my editing work which I put off for premiere week. If I get enough done, I might be able to justify going again this Thursday. I don't mind going alone!

Mel - men can't handle much, can they?