The New Ending **SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 2

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: The New Ending **SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

Postby Naterpie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:15 am

Whatnow wrote:I am willing to not analyze the ending too terribly much because I really think the movie would have been boring without the battle. The book was fairly anticlimactic at the end (which I am thankful for.....I wouldn't have wanted anyone to die!) but that kind of ending wouldn't translate well to the big screen.


This was exactly what I was going to say! I did think that the book was a little anti-climatic - after expecting this huuuge battle, so it makes sense that a Hollywood blockbuster would include it in some way. Visually, it just had to happen somehow!
"My hallucinatory Edwards were usually better fed...."
User avatar
Naterpie
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:26 pm
Location: Pretending to be somewere warm. (Brrr)

Re: The New Ending **SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

Postby Tornado » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:59 pm

I had thought they'd do a vision, but I didn't think it would work. It worked far, far better than I would have imagined, even if it was out of canon.
Image
Tornado
Drag Racing With Alice and Edward
 
Posts: 2841
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:06 pm
Location: The Land Down Under

Re: The New Ending **SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

Postby openfire » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Brienna wrote:Already posted this somewhere else, but I think I'll get more responses here....
So, just copy-pasted it :)


What do you think non-readers will think of Renesmee and Jacob's ending?

My sister didn't get it. She was happy that Renesmee had Jake. But, she didn't realize that Jake would live forever as well. She asked me about it... Because after thinking about it for a few days, she realized that Jake would one day die. Renesmee is a half-vampire. We know from Nahuel that she will live forever, it's clear. But for my sister, it wasn't clear that Jake could/would also live forever. While I didn't give it a second thought...

Any thoughts on that?

Just asked my hubs what he thought (he hasn't read the books). He thought Jake would die too, but that Renesmee would live forever... I tried to explain to him what would actually happen, but think I just confused him LOL
Image
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
User avatar
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 am
Location: UK

Re: The New Ending **SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

Postby corona » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:14 pm

I suspect what happened with Jacob was that they were carefully soft-pedaling the whole imprinting thing, trying not to be too direct.

Know what I mean? Jacob's conditional immortality is really irrelevant except as related to Nessie's conditional immortality and their eventual status as a couple.

Not finding an elegant way to work that in without being obvious, BC likely decided to not even bring it up and leave that one to the fans.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
User avatar
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:37 pm
Location: Leah’s hideaway

Re: The New Ending **SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

Postby mainhoonemily » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:28 pm

I thought the twist was brilliant - not only did it add action to keep the movie from feeling anticlimactic, but I felt like it was also Stephenie Meyer's way of saying, "Look, this is what would have happened if there'd been a battle. Do you really want that instead of the happily ever after?"

And the ending was so sweet! I loved the way the book pages were used during the credits, it made me want to run home and read the books again, just seeing the words on the page.

Didn't they explain the non-aging wolves part in one of the earlier movies? I could swear that was in Eclipse...but then I have read the books so many times that I'm probably just filling in details in my head.
User avatar
mainhoonemily
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Re: The New Ending **SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

Postby Tornado » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:27 pm

They explained their healing tendencies and the fact that they could read thoughts, but I don't think they ever touched on the fact that Jake can live forever if he phases regularly, no.
Image
Tornado
Drag Racing With Alice and Edward
 
Posts: 2841
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:06 pm
Location: The Land Down Under

Re: The New Ending **SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

Postby Violet Sunlight » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:00 pm

openfire wrote:
Violet Sunlight wrote:I have a question about BD the book, if Alice can’t see Renesmee and Jacob how could she had known that 1. they needed passports and 2. because they were going to be the only ones who would have survived?

When I read BD I didn't think this at all...I don't think Alice saw their future & knew they would be ok. I think she just hoped that if they got away, Renesmee would be safe with Jacob, and no one should really know who they are (including the Volturi as they have never seen Jacob in human form have they? And Renesmee would change so fast too..). I think that Alice knew that Aro wouldn't see this idea in Bella's thoughts & that it was the best plan to ensure at least someones survival.


Tornado wrote:VS - I think it was more of a case that Alice knew Bella would do whatever she could to save her daughter, so gave her instructions on the best way to do it. That didn't mean she was privy to any information on whether Jacob and Nessie would survive the fight or not, especially in the book, where Bella is the one who decides who gets the passports. Alice just knew that saving Nessie would be Bella's primary concern, so made that possible.


Thank you both for your inputs, you both gave me much to think about. I'm still undecided about what to accept, you both bring up VERY good points. But, it just seems unlike Alice to give non-vision advice, especially something as important as survival advice. But, at the same time what you both say makes sense. So again, I am undecided.

These are some of the lines in the book that have part of me thinking the way I do:

Ch 33 – Bella says, “Alice had given it to me just a few days before . . . Oh. Maybe there wasn't that much luck involved after all. Alice knew I had this picture. Maybe she'd even had some dim flash that I would need it before she give it to me.”

Ch 39 – Alice says, “It might have gone that way,” she said calmly. “In which case you needed to be prepared to save Nessie.”

Ch 39 – Alice says, “Before any of that, I had to try to see every trick the Volturi might come in with and give you what few clues I could so you would be ready for their strategy, and I only had just a few hours to trace out all the possibilities.”

Errant thought: Maybe Alice had a vision of J. Jenks handing Bella the documents. Alice definitely can't see the half-breeds but I think she could see pictures of them.

corona wrote:Did anyone pick up on the nuance of Leah saving Esme?

The first time I saw it I thought, Oh wow Leah is sacrificing herself for a Cullen, she's really changed. The second time, I saw the movie with my 17yr old niece (who hasn't read the books, only seen all the movies) and she says, wow remember how she wouldn't take her food in the last movie, then I thought oh yeah that's right, Leah's sacrifice was even more significant than I thought. But, I really couldn't appreciate the moment like I wanted to because, to my horror, the next thing I see is Edward falling down the chasm and coherency once again became “mental goo” as you say.

corona wrote: I'm thinking also about Alice and her tossing Jane to Sam. Why would she do that and not finish Jane off herself when she had good reason to? And yet Jane had helped kill Seth, and Leah who Sam had loved was dead. Was this also vengeance for Sam and for Jacob who couldn't avenge his own pack mates? Sounds right to me.

Oh I was so happy Alice did that. I knew there was something important in that but I was too happy to figure it out and my brain was trying to recover from having parts of it be mush. Thanks for clairifying it. Alice was magnificent in this scene.

Brienna wrote:What do you think non-readers will think of Renesmee and Jacob's ending?

My aunt asked me the same thing at our Thanksgiving dinner. She said she loved the movie, and for her it was the best of all of the Twilight movies, but what will happen to their daughter (it's funny she couldn't say Renesmee's name) and Jacob, won't Jacob eventually die? I of course, had to explain how that's not going to happen if he continues to phase into a wolf. I think this info should have been included in the NM or EC movie. Preferably in the NM movie, since that's when Bella has a problem with her aging.
Violet Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: The New Ending **SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

Postby Naterpie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:05 pm

It's cool how so many of you guys and the non-book readers picked up on the whole werewolves-never-aging-with-regular-phasing thing not being mentioned in the movie. I can't even remember realising it was never explained, because I just filled in that gap with my book knowledge. It's good how that happens I guess. I bet they counted on that really. Or that movie goers who hadn't read the books would see it with someone who had?
"My hallucinatory Edwards were usually better fed...."
User avatar
Naterpie
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:26 pm
Location: Pretending to be somewere warm. (Brrr)

Re: The New Ending **SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

Postby Openhome » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:20 pm

I just went and saw the movie again with my sister-in-law, and I can say that my favorite part of that new ending was the fact that Edward DIDN'T say "Goodbye, Jacob, my brother...my son." I can't tell you how much I hate that line from the book (I literally burst out laughing and got my gum stuck in the book when I read it), and I AM SO GLAD it isn't there.
User avatar
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away
 
Posts: 2595
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Chatting with Esme and giving her parenting advice

Re: The New Ending **SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

Postby smitten_by_twilight » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:52 am

Openhome wrote:I can say that my favorite part of that new ending was the fact that Edward DIDN'T say "Goodbye, Jacob, my brother...my son."


Completely agree with you, hon. That's one of the awkwardest lines in the whole series, meant to be touching but instead just wierd. One of the times when Melissa's lines are much better. "Can I call you Dad now?" "No."
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Image
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
User avatar
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: Making cinnamon rolls with Edward

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking Dawn Movie Pt 2 **SPOILERS**

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron