A thesis discussion--place to discuss thesis papers

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
MoonlessNight
Settled in Forks

Re: A thesis discussion--place to discuss thesis papers

Post by MoonlessNight »

1. What’s your age?

2. Are you male/female?
female

3. How long have you been a Twilight fan?
Since New Moon came out in the movies, November, 2009

4. Why did you become a fan?
The romance aspect of the story lured me in. Also, because there are so many fansites online, it fuels the passion for more.

5. Have you read the books, seen the movies or both?
I saw 2 movies first, then read all 4 books.

6. Are you interested in any other books/tv shows/movies about vampires?
I don't really watch other vampire shows, but I do like vampire and werewolf books.
Naterpie
Settled in Forks

Post by Naterpie »

Lots of people studying Twilight! It's just so interesting!

I am currently a third year student at De Montfort University in England on my last year of my Media and Communication Studies course. I am just starting my dissertation piece of coursework to be handed in at the beginning of May (since it's 10,000 words long...) and I decided to focus my topic on the Twilight Saga fandom, the films in particular. I was hoping to get some insight into the fandom and to be able to get some views and opinions on what it means to be a Twilight fan for my dissertation.

The responses anyone gives may or may not be used in the research, but will be completely anonymous if used. Participation is optional, and if at any time you require me not to use anything you have said then please feel free to say so.

The questions below are really only a guide, and don't feel like you have to answer them all! I know there's quite a few... if you'd like to you can just answer your favourite questions. Oh, and if there's anything else you'd like to add, please do!! And I'm sorry if any of the questions repeat what has already been asked. I have to ask again to make sure the answers are totally up to date, and for my research specifically rather than someone else's.

+ What is your age and gender?
+ Would you classify yourself as a 'fan' of Twilight?
+ Have you read all the books, watched all the films or both?
+ Do you own any Twilight merchandise? (If so, how much? And what do you own?)
+ Why do you like Twilight?
+ Do you read or watch any other vampire fiction? Did you prior to watching to Twilight?
+ Do you think vampires have changed since Twilight?
+ Do you write any fanfiction or have you ever made a fan video on Youtube?
+ Have you ever participated in a Twilight related meet up? (Such as a book signing, midnight opening etc)
+ What do you think the appeal of Twilight is?
+ Do fans use the terms Twi-Hards or Twi-Mums etc, or do you feel they are derogatory?
+ Anything you'd like to add about the fandom surrounding Twilight??

(I may add more questions at a later date.)

If you'd like to discuss anything more privately don't hesitate to email me! The more responses I get, the better for my dissertation afterall! Here's my email address, [email protected].

Thanks for your time and your views!
"My hallucinatory Edwards were usually better fed...."
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

41, female.

Yes.

Yes to all and both.

No more than the books and movies (that includes the movie companions and illustrated guide).

I love romances with a difference. They are my favourite type of story. Fantasy/sci-fi romance appeals to me more than anything else.

+ Do you read or watch any other vampire fiction? Did you prior to watching to Twilight?
No, I am terrified of vampires outside the vegetarian vampire world.

Yes. Something new has been added to the mythology. This has not pleased some people.

Yes, I have written two fanfiction stories, and I have posted fan reaction videos to the last two movies.

+ Have you ever participated in a Twilight related meet up? (Such as a book signing, midnight opening etc)
I went to a midnight screening for BD Part 2.

I think it has a different appeal to different people. Most love the fact that it's such an emotive romance, and forbidden or troubled love has always had a wide appeal. Think of things like Romeo and Juliet.

+ Do fans use the terms Twi-Hards or Twi-Mums etc, or do you feel they are derogatory?
I don't particularly like either of those terms. I like to be called a Twilight fan.

Nope.
Naterpie
Settled in Forks

Post by Naterpie »

Thanks for the reply! It's a big help!! I still need more research, if anyone else still wants to answer!
Naterpie
Settled in Forks

Post by Naterpie »

Oh I forgot to mention that you can private message me on here also if you don't have an email address and you don't want to post publicly.
carodriguez27
Settled in Forks

Post by carodriguez27 »

Hey all! I'm new to the forums here, and I'm working on a HUGE research project that involves Twilight.I'm a college student, and I'm trying to determine if people with certain love styles are more likely to be die-hard twilight fans. I'm also trying to figuring out how Twilight affects our thinking about what constitutes romance. Would any of you be so kind as to help me out with this project? I wont be taking any personal information at all, and any information I gather would not be shared explicitly, either.
The only constraint is that you have to have read the books.

For any of you who may not know what love styles are, I'll give you a brief synopsis:

There are 6 love styles: Eros, Ludus, Storge, Pragma, Manic, and Agape. Each love style has its own characteristics unique from the others, and knowing ones love style can be really helpful in understanding how you love and who you are most compatible with.

Anyone want to help me out? I'd really, really, REALLY appreciate any help I can get. The more survey responses I get back, the more accurate my study will be.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B80FiL ... nRURmo2QmM

You can download the survey at this link, then email it to me at [email protected]! :) Thanks!
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Naterpie wrote:
I'm almost 30 (I hate that) and I'm a girl...

Yes!!!

Both, I started with the first movie and within 5 days I had ordered all the books... it only went uphill from there

Not much, they don't do Twilight merch in Holland... I have a bracelet... the most beautiful gift it was and I have a few movie books

It's the fantasy... the opportunity to get out of reality and enter a world you didn't know could exist

I watched interview with a vampire... i'm still planning on reading Bram Stoker... besides that does Harry Potter count???

No, the sexy dark predator was invented by the writer of Interview with the vampire... Twilight only made it more accessible for teens

Yes, I'm a big Fanfic writer... I spend a lot of free time into it

Well we had our little HH-con in Chicago... it was a bunch of Rob's HH members from the lex meeting up

For book readers it's the escape from reality and the love story, for movie fans it's probably a shirtless way-to-beefy puppy and a handful of really sexy vampires...

I don't use those terms, though there are a few who do... I'm just not that kind of fan... it's in the heart not on the sleeve...

+ Anything you'd like to add about the fandom surrounding Twilight??[/i]
It's insanity... the tweens have made it insane

Thanks for your time and your views!
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

50, male.

Yes.

Both.

Just the DVD's and books, and e-books as well.

Specifically, I got hooked on the relationship itself, the B&E concept. I became a fan of Bella in NM, and then a fan of Edward in EC, and remain more of an Edward fan. I found certain moments they share together very real and very sweet.

No, I'm usually a zombie person for horror movies, and rarely read horror books featuring traditional monsters, although I did read Interview With The Vampire and Stephen King's Salem's Lot. Latest book I read was Warm Bodies featuring 'R' the zombie, though that was mostly for humor and the fact the movie is coming up and I liked the trailer.

Yes. There is a greater desire to see them interact with humans rather than simply be monsters. That goes hand-in-hand with the ability to tolerate sunlight, or at least be active during the day. It broadens the scope of possible stories.

No.

No.

The books mirrors the obsessive first-love of teenagers, and the supernatural elements give them the license to be obsessed and act and love in extreme ways. A better writer than I described the story as one of romantic possession.

I also think there is a very strong attraction to the idea of loyalty, particularly male loyalty, the mate-for-life concept displayed by TW couples (and particularly Edward), and also the imprinting. I don't like the mechanics of the imprinting implementation myself, but a surprising number of women find it appealing, even as they know it takes choices away. It's just the idea of loyalty, someone who loves you and adores you with a love that never fades.

Loyalty and intensity, never diminishing.

I don't use the terms, but they don't bother me unless the context is derogatory.

I find their unrestrained enthusiasm for this story admirable, there is nothing wrong with it.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Naterpie
Settled in Forks

Post by Naterpie »

Thank you so much for the responses! I'm really getting some great research for my paper! : )
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Naterpie wrote:

35, female.

Abso-friggin-lutely!!

I read all four novels in 8 days leading up to my first viewing of Twilight, about 1 week after it was originally released. Since then, I have been at all of the midnight premieres (or more) and have seen each of the films no less than 7 times (NM) with all but NM being seen in theaters at least 18 times. I've also read the entire series, including MS, 16 times.

Yes. I own a cardboard Edward, several posters, multiple magazines, all of the released guides and accompanying books, and multiple pieces of Cullen Crest jewelry and clothing. I also have a good amount of items from Comic Con and other Cons that were purchased for me.

Forward and to the point. I like that. To put it succinctly, I love the fantasy and intensity of it. From the first word, I was swept into the fantasy of that all-consuming love between Edward & Bella. I love that it is the redemptive powers of love that finally make Edward, a man who truly believes (so wrongly) that he is a monster, see that he is in fact a good man, a man worthy of love. And, I love that it is also through love that Bella holds to what she wants, fights for what she wants. I may feel like shaking her until her teeth rattle at times. But, in the end, it is always about love. And, because it takes place within the fantasy world of monsters, the intensity of it is given free reign. Sadly, that is something that I think was lacking in the film adaptations.

I am also a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan. When I was younger, I enjoyed reading some of Anne Rice's work, but not all of it.

I think the mythology around vampires has expanded since Twilight. Vampires are, in the end, fictional characters. So, it is only how we create and imagine them that can change. I think Stephenie took an idea and ran with it further than it had been taken before. You can't give complete credit to SM because certain aspects, certain seeds of ideas, were already there. But, as I said, she definitely took it further than we've seen.

I do write, but I have never published. I beta for one author and have preread for others.

Yes, both official and nonofficial. I was at the midnight premieres for New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn Part 1. I attended the 'marathon release" for Breaking Dawn Pt 2. Outside of those official events, myself and 14 other participants in an online community all got together in Chicago last summer. That was an amazing experience.

That's a complicated question. There is a difference between the appeal of The Saga and the appeal of the fandom. We all love The Saga book and/or movies for various reasons, many very similar. We love the fantasy. We love the romance. We love the possibility of it all. But, there is a deeper appeal to the fandom, to being a part of it. It's a sense of belonging. Let's be honest. The Saga, either novels or films, has become a favorite target for mockery by the mainstream, as much as it is recognized as a phenomenon. I, myself, have been torn apart by family, friends and strangers alike for my dedication to The Saga. So, when you find people who are equally as crazy over The Saga as you are, equally as dedicated and obsessed and able to quote dialogue passages or movie lines, you feel a sense of safety in numbers, in a way. A feeling like you are not as nuts as some people make you out to be because there are all these other people who are as dedicated, as obsessed, and we can't ALL be nuts, can we? ;-)

I do not personally use them. I think they are like any other term. If they are intended to be derogatory, they can be. I don't personally like them. But, I understand why they are used.

That it is a passionate bunch kind of goes without saying at this point. There are certainly extremes within it on all sides. But, mostly, we are normal, everyday folks who just love something passionately. I also think that there is a glaring misconception (and this one I detest) that we are all screeching 13-year-old girls. While we certainly have those amongst us, this is a multi-layered fandom, very diverse in age and culture. But, at the same time, I also love that, while we do have our ardent "Twi-Guys", we are primarily women. It really and truly shows the strength of women to get behind something and truly drive it to new heights. It is also one of the reasons why I think the fandom and the franchise are so targeted for negativity. But, that's a topic for another thesis.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS