HAPPY HUMP DAY!
Sorry I was MIA yesterday. I took a personal day off from teaching to go to Sonny Boy’s college piano recital – it included several students on various instruments, each playing one piece. Sonny is quite gifted in piano, and since his piece was the big finale, and a massive 9 minute piece, he was placed last on the schedule.
Now all of you mothers will really be able to appreciate this – when it was finally his turn to play, there was an awkward pause and then it was announced that the recital was over since Sonny was nowhere to be found! WHAT??? I took a day off of work, and Hubs took time off, and I’d even invited my new 70 year-old friend to come and he’s not even going to play?
The audience was small and informal, so the music professors asked me to text him. I knew that he had something for a class going on at the same time that he was trying to do both, but I thought he was going to do that after the recital. Apparently once he found out he was last on the program, he went to the class event first and tried to time it so that he’d make it back to the recital in time. Well, the recital was ahead of schedule and he cut it a bit too close. Luckily, within 5 minutes he arrived on stage and wowed everyone with his Brahms Rhapsody
. Thank God that’s the part that will stay in their minds!
Then later in the day, I had to drive him to a place where he is getting paid for some grunt work, but because of the heavy snow followed by a steep drop in temperature, the roads were horrendously icy and it took me 3 hours total to drive across town and back – 5 mph. I almost missed Hubs’ Office Christmas Party completely!! Thank God they had an open bar – I definitely needed a drink.
So there you have it – why I was MIA yesterday!Tracy
– Maybe you’ll find that it’s more relaxing to get the shopping and wrapping done first and then the tree. It certainly will be fresh. You won’t want to take it down anytime soon, though. I usually want our tree up for a while after New Years when we put it up so late. Christmas with your in-laws will indeed be quick. Too bad you have to rush back. What is your choir doing this year? Will you have instrumentalists? Our choir (that I’m no longer a part of) is doing a Messiah sing-along with string quartet, so I guess I will be part of it! The last Sunday before Christmas is very close to Christmas this year! Those Killer Cupcakes! Wow. I’ll have to try that recipe. I did notice the proportionately low amount of flour and high number of eggs… Christmas plans – usually we rotate hosting Christmas Eve, spend Christmas Morning just us, and then go to my parents’ on Christmas Day. But since my parents are hosting both this year, and Daughter Dear is gone, *sniff* we’re going to spend the night at my parents’ house.
– I hope your checkup went OK and that you don’t have anything to worry about.
–Congrats on finding a car! What’s her name? Hey – I have a BD2 related question for you since you live in the region. I’ve been in those parts, and it just seems to me that the scene where she is driving back from Seattle and her meeting with Mr. Jenks that she is on the wrong side of the highway to be going in that direction! Granted they probably filmed in Vancouver or on Vancouver Island, but still, if she were going back to Forks. all the water would be to her right, and in that scene it’s to her left. Do you know what I mean? It’s like she is headed towards Seattle, not away from Seattle.Marielle
– Congrats on signing the papers for your house!! Have you been busy packing? That’s a lot of work. Be careful not to overdo it, OK?
– Will you have to be the main one to keep the wood stove going again this winter?
– Thanks for backing me up on my BD2 snowy road complaint. When I eventually come to Holland and meet you, let’s try to sing together, OK? Is there such a thing as Karaoke there? With American show tunes? Summertime is my signature piece.
– I’m impressed that your son does Tae kwon do. Very cool. Have you noticed that the discipline of it carries over to life at home or school?
Tonight was my Toastmasters Christmas Party and Hubs came as a guest. It was great to introduce him to my new group of speaking buddies. It was low-key with only 16 people there. We had a short program - 2 speakers.
I think I've had enough partying now for a while. Climbing into bed with Sense and Sensibility sounds pretty good to me right now. Nighty Night!