Rob's Halfway House #11

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Rob's Halfway House #11

Post by Tornado »

Well, I can never say my life is not interesting!

I went to post a letter this morning and came across two men toe to toe in the car park of the shopping centre. One was screaming quite a bit of abuse at the other. I thought it was a road rage incident at first. I called the police (as did another witness). However, it turned out that a mentally ill young man was stalking a man who used to live next door to him and he'd followed him to the shops from somewhere else. He was screaming out that the man was a murderer, etc. He screamed abuse at some of the people watching as well. Someone went up and tried to calm the situation. He left before the police turned up, but they took a statement from me because I was one of the people who called them.

Susie - yes, I'm trying to view it like that. It's probably better that this kind of thing has happened in the first year at school. The class he's going into next year has more kids who are advanced in some areas, like he is, so there may be more like-minded kids to play with. However, he will be one of only six grade one children in the class, which does concern me. Hopefully, he will become firm friends with the two other grade one boys.
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Post by older_twilight_fan »

Hello everyone~

Hope all of you are well. My daughter finished middle school basketball tryouts and made the team. We kind of assumed she would, as she made the team as a sixth grader last year and is one of the better players in her grade....but they have a new coach and you can never assume anything. One of her best friends (who was not on the team last year) was convinced by my daughter to try out, and she made the team. :D I think my daughter was more excited about her friend making the team than anything else. ;) She's a very sweet girl with a wonderful family, and they live in our neighborhood.....so carpooling will be an added benefit. We should finally get our minivan back tomorrow from the auto body shop. I've almost forgotten what it looks like and can't remember what it feels like to drive a minivan...it's been that long. :roll:

Susie~ Are you enjoying your snow and do you expect to have a white Christmas? I'm sorry about your intense three hour drive in the snow and can imagine how nervewracking that must've been. I'm so glad that SonnyBoy made it to the recital, and know I would have freaked when I first realized he was missing, if I were you. I'm sure the recital was lovely and his performance was stunning. To answer your question about our choral music for Christmas, we're singing the typical version of a Lessons and Carols service we usually do, with scripture readings interspersed with anthems. I believe one of our anthems will be accompanied by flute and clarinet, along with piano, of course. And a couple of the up tempo anthems will probably have some sort of percussion; and one our choir members plays a gorgeous tenor saxophone and usually plays something instrumental during the service. Our ladies quartet has been rehearsing again and are singing an anthem during our choir concert. We're also singing a lovely four-part acapella arrangement of "Mary, Did You Know?" this Sunday, that's different from the somewhat overplayed Kenny Rogers/Wynonna Judd version you hear on the radio this time of year. I'm sure you'll enjoy singing along to Handel's Messiah, and that will probably remind you of Daughter Dear. How large is your church and congregation? The cupcakes did use a large number of eggs and the batter appeared rather thin at first, but I noticed it had thickened up quite a bit by the time I used my cupcake pan for the second round.

Lynne~ I'm sorry you're feeling so overwhelmed right now, but it's completely understandable. Try to take a deep breath or two, and hang in there. Susie gave some excellent advice, and I agree that trying to set up play dates with other classmates would be beneficial, and might help you get to know some other parents, as well. Will his best friend live so far away that they won't be able to see one another? We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers regarding your health issues. Is there any chance the MRI might be covered with written documentation from your physician? I've had two biopsies after finding a small breast lump about fifteen years ago, and again after irregularities were detected on my mammogram about four years ago....but everything came out normal. (Sorry Sean, and Austin, if you're around :blush:) My Mom has a history of breast cancer when she was in her fifties, so they've kept a little closer eye on me because of the family history (my Dad's mother also had breast cancer). I've had ultrasounds and repeat mammograms the past couple of years, but the palpable area seems to be scar tissue from a previous biopsy. Whether or not these are the health issues to which you're referring....know that we're always here for you, and feel free to send a pm if you ever want to talk. ;)

Sarah~ Congrats to you and Jason for purchasing the new car! I'm sure you're relieved to have that decision made and the car purchased so you can enjoy the holidays without all that stress.

Marielle~ I'm glad to hear you're about ready to start your vacation, as it sounds like you need it. ;) Keeping fingers and toes crossed that all goes smoothly with the transition, and I know you'll be so relieved when you officially have the keys to your new house in hand. Your brother is a sweetie to remember you so thoughtfully on your birthday. What is the age difference between you two?

Songbird~ I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the cupcakes, and appreciate your unofficial marriage proposal....I'm flattered! :D Maybe we should start a "recipe exchange" here where we list some of our favorite tried and true recipes.

Sean~ Good for you for interactiong more with some of your coworkers. Are they friendly and approachable? I hope you're able to get back on a decent sleep schedule and that your brother might be able to help with the wood stove this winter, even if on alternating nights.
Banner by TammyAZ
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Tracy - you hit the nail right on the head! Again, my apologies to Sean and Austin. My mother had breast cancer when she was 59 and, with a mastectomy, has not had a recurrence. My aunt (her sister) died of breast cancer at the age of 43. So, as you can imagine, I am super careful and aware of the problems that can come from this. My biggest concern now is that I've had a professional say that neither a mammogram nor an ultrasound gave them enough of a window to see possible problems in the densest areas. What's the point of having a regular mammogram if they can't see clearly even then? It seems pointless to me. So I will not longer feel any reassurance from them. Do I need to have an MRI every two years instead? Can we afford them? It depends how much we have to shell out initially, and how much money we get back. Under the Australian public health system you often have to pay for services up front and then the government reimburses you. It has always seemed a stupid way of doing it to me, but it's the way it is if you don't have private health cover (in Australia you have to sign up for private health cover yourself if you want it - it's not something your employer provides).
Glad to hear your daughter's had success in her basketball tryouts and that her friend got in, too.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Good morning everybody!!!

TGIF!!! I’m exhausted and so ready for the weekend…

Something stupid happened yesterday. I stumped my toe against the chair. That happens regularly but this time it was extremely painful. Immediately after that we went to bed. So when I woke up in the middle of the night my toe was blue and swollen!!!
I hope it gets better soon… I need to be able to stand and walk around with the parties and move!!!

Anyway posts,

Lynne, I’m sorry your check up didn’t work out the way you hoped. Do you have to pay for the MRI yourself? I thought in Australia they had a good healthcare system like in Holland?

Susan, I wasn’t going to watch perfect pitch in cinema but I find it strange that they promoted it before BD and than only show it for 2 weeks or so. I guess it had something to do with the lack of promotion that is done in Holland for that movie. I wouldn’t have known about it if it wasn’t for the trailer before BD.
I guess with Skyfall, BD2 and The Hobbit having the same period to premiere in the little movies won’t stay long.

Susie, how much snow do you have already? Here everything will be melted after today. My mom got a bit more than 3 inches. Which is a lot of dutch standards.

Tracy, I’m probably be a nervous wreck when I finally get the key. I’m hoping today they will call me to make an appointment. I’m going to wait till midday with not calling myself but after lunch if they haven’t called I’m going to start stalking again.
Everything is sign and send to the right people but I’m still so afraid that something goes wrong… I’m not really in a lucky streak at the moment.
My brother is a bit less than 5 years younger than me. He turned 25 last week. We did have our issues when we both were teens but now we are as close as we can be… we trust each other with everything.

Hmmm… that’s it already???
Well… from now on I won’t be making early morning posts anymore until next year…
I’ll try to post as often as I can. Maybe even post pictures of my new house… if I find out how to do that..

See you all later…
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

Happy friday everyone... this is too big to post on the site but
http://www.celebitchy.com/wp-content/up ... rkles3.jpg

:swoon: :swoon:

The rest of the pictures are here. I never remember this photo shoot.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

marielle - they do, but as I said earlier, quite often you have to pay the money out first and then be reimbursed.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

And yes, I'm now awake! I decided to sleep in last night and I just got up about a half hour ago. At least I'm well rested, and I've actually been thinking of just going to bed sometime at night, and then getting up early in the morning, just to try it.

But we did get some turkey breasts yesterday, and we're now ready for Christmas dinner. This is my last day of work for this week, and I have to make $60 dollars last into next week before I get paid (I'm reluctant to withdraw more money out of the bank), and I did get a gift back at work yesterday. Any one want a $15 dollar Cinemark gift card? I know that I probably won't get much use out of it, being busy with work and home stuff, and I don't know if BD2 is even still in theaters around here.

That's been the story of my life the past few weeks--it's not that I don't want to do certain things, but there's just like 6 million other things I have to do first. I'll bet that plenty of you feel the same way.

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm fine and I just slept in last night. At least I got that gift bag and I should be able to work on fan fic this weekend, or maybe tonight.

Lynne: I hope that you have nothing serious going on. I wonder if I ever told you that my mom had breast cancer before? That was the worst part of my life, but at least she's been better now.

Tracy and Songbird: Almost all of the people I've been working with are approachable, but they're also busy a lot of the time, but I've even been talking to people who I didn't socialize with much before over the past few days, too.

Susie and Tracy: Right now, I'm just hoping that it doesn't get cold enough to have the stove running all night. But I know that such things will likely change soon. One of them might have to stay up on nights where I have to go to bed early, such as next Wednesday night as I'll be going in early to work next Thursday.

So in a few hours, I'll be getting ready for work. Maybe now I'll be on a schedule that I can like, and this might be useful for Christmas when mom comes out to help may our three turkeys :).

I'll be back later :)
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Happy Friday, Everyone!

It's the Weekend!!

I'm off on Fridays so it really is my weekend. It's nice to have time to get all of those errands done.

Sean - Is the stove the only heat source for your house? Do you have to worry about pipes freezing?

Lynne
- My mom had pre-menopausal breast cancer and is a survivor - it's been 40 years! So I like to think that I've inherited the survirvor gene. You could think of that in your case too. Of course, let's hope it doesn't get to that point! Let's hope density is just density. You're right about how your life isn't boring right now with that experience of witnessing the fight and calling the police. I'll be you want to just have a quiet night at home reading!
older_twilight_fan wrote:One of her best friends (who was not on the team last year) was convinced by my daughter to try out, and she made the team. :D I think my daughter was more excited about her friend making the team than anything else. ;) She's a very sweet girl with a wonderful family, and they live in our neighborhood.....so carpooling will be an added benefit.
Tracy - What a great example of pronoun confusion!! I really thought you were talking about your own daughter there for a minute because the rest of the sentence is SO TRUE!! Perhaps that was a freudian slip? I'm so happy she (your daughter) made the team again.

Amanda Beth
- Thanks for the gorgeous pic!

Marielle
- So sorry you stubbed your toe badly. That will slow you down a bit, won't it? Will your boyfriend take pity on you and pamper you? NO STILETTOS this weekend! Some of the snow is melting, but we still have six inches. It's supposed to rain and sleet tonight (before Global Warming, it would have been snow). I hope it doesn't wash the snow away. The meteorologists assure us that we will have a White Christmas because a couple more inches of snow will be coming next week.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE!
Songbird
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Songbird »

Hi, sibs! TGIF!! I think my whole family needs the weekend. Hubs has been irritable for the last week or so, the kids are visibly tired, and I know I need a break. I’m looking forward to Christmas break when the kids will get to spend a few days with my inlaws, too. Bug got to go to a birthday party today at a play gym and she came home saying she wants to go there for her birthday, too. She had a great time. Mr. Man had his first playdate ever today and it went ok, but he said the little boy wasn’t playing fair or something...I didn’t quite understand, but it had something to do with playing a game and the other boy not following the rules. But he got pancakes for lunch, and he was very excited about that. I had half expected to get a phonecall asking me to come get him, being his first time playing at someone else’s house and Bug had issues with that when she first started going on playdates, but then she was only 3 or something when she started, even though the girl she played with lived on our street. But Mr. Man did fine. I had a problem finding their house...he went with them directly from school, so I had the address, and it’s only one street over, but our neighborhood is laid out SOOOOO confusingly. The streets are in squares, but the street names change on the curves and then they have some where the houses face the street for the first few houses, and then the next few face away and are actually not part of the street, they are a separate street, even though they are connected to the ones that ARE part of the street. People often get lost coming to our house the first time. But I did finally find the right place and MM came running out the door, his coat already on, ready to go! Good thing, too, because it was raining cats and dogs.
I won’t be around much this weekend. Tomorrow we’ll be going to my in-laws’ house at some point so they can watch the kids in the evening while we go to Bug’s godmother’s birthday party as it’s after bedtime for the kids. Then Sunday is my nephew’s bday so we have that party to go to, so we’re staying overnight with my in-laws so we don’t have to drive back and forth. Monday I’m scheduled to work again and then MM has swimming lessons in the evening, so I probably won’t be around much until Tuesday, which I would normally have choir, but hubs has his office Christmas party (to which spouses are not invited) so he’ll be away and I have to stay home with the kids.

Sarah, nice! I like Kia...we looked at a Kia Rio when we were picking out our car. It was my favorite of the..5? we looked at that we could get through the lease program We ended up with a Toyota Yaris instead, but I really liked that Kia! I hope you love it!

Lynne, I’m so sorry you are having such a rough time! I thought the exam you were talking about was a different one...not that any of them are fun. I hope it’s just a matter of dense tissue and that there’s nothing really wrong. When my mom was undergoing chemo, I asked about getting a mam because both my grandmothers died of breast cancer as well, but they told me then that I was too young to get tested and they don’t do that until you are at LEAST 30 because the tissue is too dense and it probably wouldn’t do much good. Hopefully you won’t always have to have the MRI. I’ll keep you in my prayers. And I’m sure your son will find new friends...has he ever had a birthday party with just friends? MM never asked to play anywhere and I didn’t get the impression he really had any good friends until after his birthday party this year. He didn’t even know who to invite and every time I asked, it changed. Now, since his party, he’s been asking me nearly daily if he can play with so and so, or if this kid can come over to play...up till then, he’d only played with his cousin or with random neighbor kids at the playground. Now all of a sudden in the last 2 weeks, he’s Mr. Social. It’s like someone flipped a switch and he JUST realized how fun it is to play with kids. I hope your son can find a new friend soon.
And wow, what a thing to witness. Glad you had a phone! When I witnessed several boys jumping another, I had no phone with me and ran after someone to ask them to call the police and they didn’t want to call, but tried to get the boys to stop by shining their headlights on them so they could see that we could see them. If I had had my phone with me, I would have called the emergency number right away. I’m so sorry you had to do that...I know it’s pretty scary, even as a bystander. I’m glad it didn’t come to blows though!!

Susie, our snow all melted off today. It was nice to have it while it lasted. Now I shall have to live vicariously through you!
You know, I never really thought about my mom not applauding, because it’s just her...I never knew anything different. But now that I think about it, I do wonder if she’d have applauded had it been my brother. She always praised him for accomplishments in a way that she never did for me. I always knew she was proud of him, but I have never been so sure that she was proud of me. So NOW it hurts, now that she’s gone and I can’t ask her why. But at the time, no, it never really bothered me because she never clapped at ANY musical performance. We went to NY (one of my University ensembles was singing at Carnegie) and we went to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway...AMAZING...she’s the only person who sat tight in her seat and didn’t applaud while the rest of us were giving a standing O. No solo I ever sang could compare to the professional performances on broadway, so the fact that she didn’t applaud me wasn’t very telling. She was just a very reserved person and didn’t believe in public displays of affection. Two people walking down the street holding hands was considered “being all over each other” to her, and she hated “pet names” like “sweetie”, or “honey”. I imagine applause seemed like a very public gooey display that she would have been embarassed about.
Don’t be impressed...I only made a half batch and dumped in a full batch worth of flour before I remembered I had halved all the other ingredients and I had to fish out half the flour...at least I hadn’t mixed it in yet. But they are really yummy. My kids both give them the stamp of approval, too. My next project is going to be a gingerbread sleigh to top a Christmas cake, which I think will be a carrot cake. Wish me luck! I’m feeling ambitious.

Tracy, yay for your daughter and her friend making the team! That’s great! A recipe exchange would be a great idea! Was it you who mentioned liking lemon poppyseed cake with your coffee? Have you ever had ORANGE poppyseed cake? I have a recipe that my mom used every Christmas to make gifts for her friends and her friends would hide the cakes from their families so they could eat it themselves and didn’t have to share. People BEGGED for the recipe and she never would give it out. She always said that if she moved away or died, she would give out the recipe...so when she died, she requested that we honor that promise, so we put the recipes for that and for her seasoning salt (same situation) in the program at her memorial service. If you are interested, I’d be happy to share.

Marielle, I’m so sorry to hear about your toe! You must have really bashed it!!
No, I wasn’t planning on watching Pitch Perfect in the theater either, until I got the bioscoop bon. Then I figured I would use it for that because I did want to see it. I didn’t know about it until I saw Rebel Wilson on the Ellen show to promote it. SOOOOOOOO funny! So I already knew about it when I saw the trailer ahead of BD2, but not very long before then. But you’re right...with the big ticket movies right now, the smaller ones don’t really stand a chance!

Sean, good for you! I hope you make some friends! How long is the cinemark card valid? Just because you don’t have time to use it NOW, doesn’t mean you won’t. There’s bound to be more than one movie you want to see, right?
Signature artwork by TammyAZ
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

Hey all :)

Not enough time to do an uber long post- just popping by as I go run errands :) tonight is my moms 50th bday dinner and I need to wrap her gifts, buy her a cake (thank god the restaurant doesn't allow home made ones..I don't have the energy for that!), wrap my sisters gifts once I find them, among other errands lol.

Sorry Lynne to hear about your troubles-that's terrible :( praying for you!

Okay time to get ready and leave :) catch y'all later!!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]