Rob's Halfway House #11

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Re: Rob's Halfway House #11

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Ok everyone here is what is been bothering me. I am going to make it short b/c the long version is just to long. Basically my parents moved away and my husbands family is scattered all over the place He is not from here. During the holidays when I was a kid there were cousins to play with and huge family gatherings. Family is extremely important to me! Now in the present my kids don’t even know what cousins are my parents moved away and b/c of financial reasons they are only coming down for the kids birthdays. It leaves the holidays just my husband and I and 2 kiddos. So I stress every year to make it really special for them b/c I worry they won’t have good childhood memories of the holidays.

Not only that but I am going through a tough time with my son. I shared this with a couple of you already here, that I have become very close to, but some days I am wondering if I am going to have a break down with everything on my shoulders. I am one of those you can’t tell anything is going on b/c I am a happy person and feel that all of this weight isn’t going to get me down but honestly there is only so much I can take!

Sorry I know I am kinda being vague on some things but I just don’t feel comfortable talking about my son on a forum. I know all of you understand since most of us have children.

Susan/songbird~ I help out by putting their work in their backpacks and take out any library books and any completed reading list for the books they have written. I then work as a teacher by taking care of one of the tables for the work stations. My son is in kindergarten I think some of you call it first year. Did either of your children have work stations? If not I can explain what it is.

Susie~ Wow you had some intense days. Did hear the piece your son played. Beautiful I am a fan of piano music at time and when we take the kids to play around musical instruments at this store my son is always drawn the piano. 3 hours to drive across town, eek, I definitely think you deserved a drink after that.

As far as my son’s karate class. He has only being doing it for 2 ½ months. I did it for social reason more than anything. Remember I told I am having a hard time with my son not for discipline reason either.

Sarah~Congrats on your new car.

Tracy~Whatever happened with the car insurance? Will congrats to your daughters friend who made the team. It’s always funnier to play sports with friends.

Marielle~Are you sure you just stubbed your toe and it’s not broken?

Sean~ Where do you work?

Dec 14 Post:

Susan/Songbird~ Ah glad to hear that your son had a play date. We do that a lot over here since there is no more front yard play.

One of my kids friend is coming over to make gingerbread houses. It was the card they picked on the advent calendar that I made. If I have time I will post again tonight for the post from today.
Banner by TammyAZ
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I've just been reading about the terrible shooting in Connecticut. I hope none of you have family or friends there. I'll be praying for the victims' families. Tragic.

I'm off to my GP this morning. I'll see what he has to say about the MRI idea. It will be interesting to see his response. I'll also be getting the results to my other tests.

Sean - yes, I think you did tell me that. It's the most common cancer for women. I know two women on chemo for it at the moment.

Susie - Yes, I certainly hope it won't get to that point. I just want to make sure I have tests that are effective.

Songbird - yes, it can get really tiring at this time of year, can't it? You do sound busy. I'm glad Mr Man had a great time on his playdate. Yes, hopefully my density will lessen over time and the mammograms will become more effective.

Sarah - thanks for the prayers.

Desiree - family is so important and can be really difficult.I understand the stress of trying to make it special for your kids. Little Man is an only child and doesn't have any cousins at all. Most of the holidays will be just him and me. It can be really hard to make it work, but I think your kids will appreciate the effort you put in, even if they don't appreciate it until later in life.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL!

It is my hubs Christmas night out tonight, so thought it would be good to come along & say hi! Though I am working tomorrow, so can't quite do the MegaPost that I would have liked to!

Is everyone all set for Christmas? We still have to get a couple things, and still to wrap everything. I love wrapping, so looking forward to that!! What are everyone's favourite Christmas films? My favourite is Prancer. I haven't seen it in years but plan to watch it this year! I also LOVE Home Alone!! LOL. I was sooo gonna be Mrs Culkin when I was wee ;)

Does anyone have any Christmas traditions that they do? I remember speaking about this before, but it is a fun topic! We used to always open 1 present at midnight (after I finished believing in Santa anyway). In the morning, my sister & I would go to my parents room, wake them up, and then we would all take it in turns to go to the bathroom & brush our teeth etc. We wouldn't go into the livingroom until everyone was ready. My dad would go in first, and every year he would say, "oh well, Santa's not been!" - and we laugh and say "haha, yeah he has" LOL. Then we go in & open presents. I absolutely LOVE Christmas!!

This year is gonna be very different. This is the first year EVER that I will not be staying at my parents Christmas Eve (neither is my sister) so we can't do out thing above :( ). It's sad, but at the same time, it will be nice to make new traditions with my hubs.

Right, a few replies I wanted to say:

Desiree - Sending you some major eHugs girl!! I have saw pictures of you & your family - you ALL look soooo happy! Believe me, your kids will remember their childhood: they will remember that they had a lovely caring mom & dad who always made sure that they were looked after! Things like, that super cool advent calander you made - they will remember that for sure. I am keeping that idea in mind for when I have kids! And the picture of when you were collecting your tree - gorgeous family! You care - they will remember that.
They may not have cousins nearby, but sometimes your family isn't neccessarily who you are blood-related too - your nearby close friends etc will count too. I consider you guys part of my extended family!
I know you already spoke to me about your son - and please know that if you ever need to chat, just PM me here or on fb, or email. Anytime Girl! I like to think I could do the same to you :) I am thinking of you all :) Also, karate will be good for your son. It will give him something to focus on, and will give him some confidence. Does he quite enjoy it? I wish I had done something like that when I was wee. What about your daughter? Does she do anything?

Sean - Use your gift card & go see BD2!! It will still be on I'm sure - it is here & Caryn & Susie seen it recently! Go during the day (before or after work, it doesn't matter), it will be very quiet. You won't regret it! I can't imagine NOT seeing it on the big screen.

Marielle - 3 weeks off?? I am JEALOUS!! I usually have the week between Christmas & NY off, but not this year... I have a couple days off, then at work for a couple, then off again for a couple. Bit annoying, but it means I have more holidays for later in the year I guess.
Btw, last night I had a really smutty dream!!!! I very rarely have those! And it wasn't even about my hubs LOL (I told him, so it's fine Hahaha!). It wasn't about a real person, or even a real famous person, but it was very vidid & I liked it LOL! What does that mean?? Hahahaha!
Hope everything goes ok with the house! I am sure it will!

Lynne - I hope you manage to get some answers from your GP about the MRI. Sorry to hear what you are going through. I know it is tough, but we are all thinking of you. Just remember, a lot of the time they send people for extra tests just to make sure, but more often than not, they turn out to be negative etc. Let us know if you need anything :)

Songbird - Glad Mr Man enjoyed his play date! And I hope you enjoy your busy weekend ahead!

Everyone else - HELLO THERE! I hope you are all doing good :)

I'm gonna head off now. Tomorrow hubs is cooking a nice meal & our friend is coming over for that - should be fun! Enjoy your weekend folks!

Catch you all later!
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I've just got back from the doctor.

I love my GP. When I told him about the MRI idea he said, "What? That's ridiculous! I'm not sending you for an MRI!" Then he showed me the report the guy had done for my ultrasound. It said, "if there is clinical concern then there should be an MRI" and my doctor said, "That's just it. There's no clinical concern. I sent you for the tests because I just wanted to be sure. There's nothing there I'm really concerned about, so no MRI is required."

He also gave me the results of my blood test. Everything is normal. So it seems what I have is being caused by stress. I guess that's no real surprise.

Thanks for your support, everyone. It's been great to have you all here.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Hi everyone. Word of warning: This is about the CT school shooting from today. If you're upset about it and don't want to read about it, you may skip the rest of this post, and go to my second post if you want to read about my day and my responses to other posts and message.

I did hear about the shooting on my way home from work, and I only learned about the horrific toll after I got online earlier. It's horrifying that such things can happen today. Understandably, I have a few things to get off my chest about it and talk to you guys about it.

One of the things that astounds me about it is that this person reportedly had a mental condition that required that he be on medication. This kid went off his medication, and that likely contributed to what happened. Having limited knowledge about what happened--I only know what I've read about this, and this happened hours ago--I'm questioning if this was just because this kid was off his meds and it caused him to snap and go insane, or if this premeditated. A lot of things about this are filling me with questions about why this happened.

First off, I wonder if anyone within this kid's circle--family and friends--knew of any signs about what was going on. Did this kid say anything about killing people, did they know that he was unstable without medication and that he was off his meds, did he mention stuff about Columbine or Aurora? If they knew that something may've been going on, why didn't they act? Why didn't they keep an eye on this person, why didn't they let someone know--out of concern and good faith--that this kid wasn't well and get him help and prevent this from happening?

And then there's the firearms issue. Most of you here probably know that I'm pretty pro-gun. But I'll also say, like with the first amendment, the second amendment has--or should--have at least some limits for the good of everyone. That's why we have the National Firearms Act here in the US. There's the Firearms Owners' Protection Act of 1986 that's part of the NFA that makes it a crime to give a firearm to anyone with severe mental or emotional issues because of them going off their meds a possible crime under federal and state law. Of course, what the US Government considers to be "severe" mental and emotional issues, I don't know, and I'm not even sure if they know, but it's part of the NFA.

That's another question of mine--where did he get his weapons from? If it was from a licensed dealer, some serious questions must be asked. Also, under the Brady gun laws (also part of the National Firearms Act), a 7-10 day waiting period is mandatory for new firearms purchases from State and ATF licensed dealers. Did this kid get his guns from a dealer, and was the waiting period observed? Or did he get his weapons from family or friends--people who knew that he could be off his rocker if he went off medication? If that's the case, again, serious questions need to be asked of the source of his weapons. If they were obtained illicitly--from an illegal source, such as something along the lines of the black market and other illicit trade--or they were stolen, you have to wonder if in the latter what precautions or countermeasures could've been taken. If from an illicit source, then it's time to crack down on organized crime, gang crime, the black market, and illicit trade.

And then there's my big question: An extreme random act of violence, or a premeditated massacre, like Columbine or Aurora? The 7-10 day waiting period for gun purchases was put in place to curb spur of the moment acts of gun violence. If this was planned and premeditated, no firearms laws would've stopped it--not even a gun ban if they weapons were obtained from an illicit source. People who make such a premeditated act such as a Columbine or Aurora or a North Hollywood Shootout won't give a damn about what laws they're breaking to harm or kill others, as long as they get what they want. My father told that to me and others many times, and it's true. If one wants to commit an act out of a premeditated plan, and if said person is determined enough, he'll succeed in such a vile, perverted mission.

I don't want this to be a major gun control debate, or a crime debate, I'm just asking the questions that we're all probably asking about this.

But what I really want to get off my chest is the thing that disturbs me the most about this tragedy. There are people out there who think that things like this and Columbine and Aurora are "cool" and some may try and emulate these acts. The question I want to ask is how demented and perverted does one have to be to claim that such acts are "cool?" What the hell?! Seriously, massacres of innocent, unarmed people are "cool"? Who in their right mind would think that?! I don't get that, how some people, no matter how few in number, think that violent massacres of people who can't defend themselves is cool and are acts to be emulated. It does shake one's faith in humanity at times, doesn't it? What makes these people tick?

And there are people who glorify and "hype" up such things, such as those types of people who I mentioned, and the media. The media hypes up violence, and it's often senseless, gratuitous violence that doesn't serve as anything aside from fan service. The things about TV shows like The Rifleman and Have Gun--Will Travel is that they had violence in them, but the violence wasn't advocated, and had a lesson to it, that violence should always be the last resort to resolve any conflict. But now we have movies and TV shows that glamorize and glorify violence. There's nothing glamorous about violence IMO, and wanton violence especially should never be glorified. The opening to Saving Private Ryan should show that there's no glamour to violence, and that was a World War II movie.

I'll admit that I play violent video games and watch violent anime cartoons, and that guns are part of the culture where I live. I live in a farming area away from the city, and in a township. The latter point means that the local police often won't respond to emergency calls. Our main police force out here is the Ohio Highway Patrol--our main State Police agency--and their nearest post is several miles away. Our big hope for police response is if a "Statey" (slang for a State Trooper/Highway Patrolman/State Police Officer) is on patrol near by and gets the call to respond. We also have farms out here, and people own pistols, rifles and shotguns for predator control to shoot things that prey on farm animals--coyotes, stray dogs, things like that. But I was taught that guns are hazardous weapons that were designed to maim and kill. IMO, that seems lost on some people.

To me, the most horrifying aspect of this, other than the event itself, is that some sick people think that such wanton violence is cool, and some of these people will try and emulated it. That's why I think that such violent crime should be strictly and severely punished, and not just gun violence. Things like spousal abuse, child abuse, child molestation, rape, murder and serial killings need to have strict and severe punishments, and such acts for damn sure needn't and shouldn't be tinted with glamor nor glorified in any way. Senseless acts such as what happened today shouldn't be shrouded in an armor of glorification hype. The media should only report the facts, and those who seek to glamorize and glorify such violence should think twice about it.

I'll post replies to messages here in a separate post soon, but I wanted to get my thoughts about this horrific act off my chest. I guess that I'll never get why some people feel the need to harm or kill innocent people for no good reason. I'm all for crime prevention, and I can't help but to think that if this kid got help before he was too far gone or someone acted in good faith to stop this from happening and get this kid the help he needed, that this could've been prevented.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Sorry to double post, but I felt that the stuff I wanted to say about today's events needed to be in its own separate post so as to have it in a place where if one didn't want to read it, they could skip it if they weren't comfortable reading about it.

Today was a bit of a weird day at work. The overall boss of where I work at is retiring next Friday, so there was a bit of a party for her today. I didn't directly take part in this, since I was covering the main receptionist's break, which she took to be part of the party. So I didn't really go into the party, which was across the hall from where I was stationed at. But it wasn't busy, so I was OK with everything. I did have some work to do, but I still had a responsibility to stay in the office and man the front desk.

It's an odd irony in with what happened today, aside from hearing about it and it making me angry with the shooting, that I've finally started to feel "normal" for once in the past 3 weeks. Christmas shopping is almost done, I'm dealing with my grandma's death OK, to the point where it's not bothering me so much now, and I feel healthier than I have since before Thanksgiving. I got up at around 6:00 this morning, and I feel pretty good, though I might take a nap soon--probably a good idea given today's events, that if you read my post that I'm a bit wound up about. Today was the most well rested that I've felt in what seemed to be forever.

Comments:

Songbird: I know that we were talking about the shooting on FB earlier. I hope that I caused no offense, and I hope that if you read my post on the subject (which you didn't have to--I advised that anyone who didn't feel like reading it probably shouldn't) that it gave you some insight about where I'm coming from on the gun stuff, and my questions and concerns about what happened. I'm way more fearful about the implications of what certain people might do as far as the "copycat" stuff than random acts of violence, no matter how horrific those can be. It takes a certain kind of person to premeditate that stuff, and premeditated violence is always something that is a very scary thought to me.

I did more socializing at work after the party ended and I got relieved to do a few things related to that. As for the gift card, I've never really been one for movie theaters. It's dark in there, and, no, I'm not afraid of the dark, but it does kinda make me want to go to sleep, and I don't like crowds very much, and I'd rather watch films and such in the privacy of my own home. But I do have two brothers who might get some use out of my card. But if I get a chance soon, I might see BD2.

Desiree: I work at the Richland Newhope Service and Administration building in downtown Mansfield, where I'm the lunch hour (and occasional part time) receptionist. I mostly answer the phone, help out at the front desk, and do office duties.

Jaclyn: As I told Songbird, I probably won't use it because I don't like movie theaters very much--darkness, crowds, and not really wanting to be any part of that stuff, though given the time and opportunity, I might try and go see it. But then there's the time of year. It's close to Christmas, and people do start to sort of lose their marbles a bit, and it's like hell just for me to go to work and back home, and to run my errands. Hopefully this doesn't hold true for movie theaters if/when I decide to go.

Lynne: Glad that you're test have come back clean and that you're OK. I know what stress can do to a person--I've sort of lived it the past 3 weeks. I did post above about the shootings today--still can't get my head around it.

Everyone: As I said, I'm feeling almost back to normal finally, whatever the hell "normal" for me means. I'll probably be going in for a nap in a little while. But I'm glad that I've gotten most of the stressful things in my life recently dealt with. I'm getting over my grandma dying to the point where I'm remembering her positive influence on me, rather than her passing, almost all the Christmas shopping is done, my mom is now collecting unemployment until she can find work, and I can go to bed for my nap later generally happy. I even cleaned up my room a bit earlier. That--like my fan fiction and me working on my iPod stuff and even me playing video games--was something that got put off a lot recently. It's not like I didn't want to do any of those things. But between work and the other stuff going on, it was like I had 9 million other things to do first, and I could barely keep up with that stuff. All of you probably know that feeling, and that this time of year is a common time for it to happen. But now that's over, I can get back to that stuff and relax a bit now.

I'll be back later
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

I think everyone -- the media, facebook, twitter, forums -- needs to stash the soapboxes. There are going to be twenty tiny coffins placed into the ground this week. People need to cry, to hold those they love close to them, and to be thankful they get to go to sleep tonight without an empty bed down the hall.

A bunch of people I know were at the Excalibur hotel tonight when a man fatally shot a woman and then killed himself right in the lobby.

No one is guaranteed a tomorrow.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Happy Saturday everybody...

I'm dropping in real quickly while waiting for dinner to be finished...
I have a date for the house.... Tuesday we are FINALLY getting the key to my new house...
will all the difficulty it's only one day delay...

Today we celebrate my brother's bday... it was a surprise for him and he was totally happy when he came back!!!

let's anything important?

Amanda & everybody... it's horrible what happened that they primary school!!! Who kills children????? I'm shocked... It's so sad that especially before such a happy time of the year somebody ruins it for a lot of people forever... those parents will never celebrate this time anymore...

Lynne, I'm happy your doctor was so positive.. it's annoying when they aren't in the beginning you worry a lot for nothing...

Jaclyn, my favorite christmas movie is "Sissi" about the Austrian empress...
hihi, smutty dreams are the best... they make you feel fuzzy and warm... it's best if they are about your Bf/hubs but still I love them,...

Desiree, no my toe is okay... today it felt a lot better... it was just swollen at the tip... I think I hurt my nail the most...

alright, dinner is ready... see you all later...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

Hey all :)

The Internet has not been a happy place lately and I have to agree with Amanda. Now is the time to comfort those who lost someone- I've read that at least 2 teachers died shielding their students. Enough with the politics about it.

Moving on..

I totally blew the surprise last night, two seconds before my sister and her family walked in (they flew up for my moms surprise birthday dinner)...she didn't want to go to dinner so my Dad just told us to come over..and I didn't see the text that she didn't know they were coming since I was driving and never check my phone anymore lol either way she was surprised and happy! She thought we weren't celebrating with her and was sad.

Marielle- congrats!! That's so exciting :) glad your brothers bday surprise went well!

Lynne-hooray! That's such a relief! :)

Jaclyn-I have too many favorites! I love a Muppet Christmas Carol, a Charlie Brown Christmas, the Santa Claus 1 and 2...:) Christmas us my favorite time of year! I understand about the loss of a family tradition- this is the first year since I was 7 (I'm 25 now) that I won't be watching a muppet Christmas carol with my parents! This year we just won't have time since I work until 4:30 and we're going to my mother in laws for dinner right after. We will see my parents on Christmas but its still not the same.

Desiree- I'm sorry, that must be hard :( hopefully there's someone you can confide in to help ease the burden.

Okay I'm off to wrap my nieces presents before we hang out with them today. So relieved my boss let me have today off!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

• Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Blessing on all of the families, and praises to those who stood between innocence and evil. Those who gave their lives stand beside God this day.

I'm going to buy a candle to light for the families this Christmas. I know it isn't much, but they'll be in my prayers and it's all I can do.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”