1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?
Alice knows just how much Bella means to her brother, and she does not want to lose her brother or see him suffer for centuries on end. She also cares very much for Bella, and wouldn't want to see anything bad happen to her new-found friend. However, I think her main reason is that she would be so concerned for Edward, especially since he would go to the Volturi to get himself killed. Alice doesn't want to see the only family she's ever known get torn apart that way.
2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?
I wasn't afraid of him. Really, to me, he's only creepy in the movies. In the books he seems very calm. He also cares about the family, even though he does still struggle a bit with the lifestyle.
3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?
I didn't think twice about the kissing. I did feel concern about the fact that the transformation is so painful. I knew that Bella wanted to be turned and that really it was the only long term solution. So here was when we found out that Bella was in for a lot of pain and suffering in the future.
4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?
He knows, based on what Alice has seen, that Bella will want to be turned. I'm pretty sure that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire, but that Edward is determined to make sure that Alice is wrong and Bella remains human.
5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?
I think Alice was afraid to put the idea into Bella's head, if she hadn't already considered it.