Rob's HH #12: Sisterhood of the Pattinson

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Re: Rob's HH #12: Sisterhood of the Pattinson

Post by TwilightFan87 »

Hey all :)

Busy few days with work! Father's Day was fun, we wound up going to dinner instead of BBQ because it started to rain but it was good to spend some time with my parents.

Last night I tried to read Emily Giffin's latest, The One and Only, but it was terrible. The story was written well, I just didn't care for the story..it was sort of weird. So sad when I was really looking forward to her newest book!

My boss finally put up the ad for the new person, I hope we get a good amount of applicants. I hope whoever she hires is nice because I'll be working with them once she goes on maternity leave to have her little boy.

Lynne-I saw your Dad has been in the hospital! Hope he's okay! How'd the book signing go?

Song-That loom stuff is big over here too, all the kids seem into it :) Your friend sounds like they're going through a stressful time, how NOT fun :/ How's your voice doing? Your time with Paula sounds fun!!
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Hi everyone.

AC is king where I'm at! The best thing that's happened since I got my job and Audi took a 1-2 at Le Mans on Sunday. After saying it was supposed to rain all week since Sunday, it finally rained last night. And it looks like more of the same today.

I got my new schedule from work today and I'll pick up a paper copy tomorrow. Today's a day off and I'm wondering on what I'll do today aside from some gaming. I'll probably work on fan fic if I get a chance because I've been thinking a lot about my character Jennifer in it. Between NASCAR's road racing weekend and coming off Le Mans, I have plenty of gaming stuff I'd like to try out.

Other than that, I plan on staying cool (much easier now) and having some fun today :)

I'll be back later :)
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Morning all!

Yesterday's book signing was interesting. I worked damn hard for every sale I got, talking most into the purchase. I've found that it's a liability to have three books. When I had just two people quite often bought both of them, but now that there's three that costs just a bit too much to justify buying the complete set. The people who purchased only bought the first one. I think this was especially because I couldn't offer them a special deal; that's something the bookstore would have to authorise. I did try and offer them a t-shirt with all three, but no one went for it. Fortunately, the bookstore kept one copy extra of The Heir and two each of the others, so hopefully some of those people who bought The Heir will be back for the other two.

Today the car's going in to have its shock absorbers replaced, so I'm betting it's going to be an expensive day!

Sarah - you know, if you're looking for a good book to read, I've got three! ;) I know it was disappointing that you didn't win my giveaway. I was hoping you would, but I couldn't rig it. You should have a go at them, though. I hope you find the right person for that job. Yes, my dad's home and he's doing okay now.
Songbird
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Songbird »

Hi! I was right...I came down with the cold again. For the moment I still have a voice...actually, my throat doesn't seem to be affected at all like it was the last time. It's all in my sinuses this time, but I'm feeling really tired. Hubs just came home from work at 10 a.m. because he's feeling crappy, too, so apparently I've shared the germs.
I'm having one of those times when you feel like a horrible parent. I know every parent experiences it, but I just feel like I have completely messed up my kids and I don't know how to fix it. Bug came home in tears yesterday because she got an "above average" on her vocabulary test instead of an "excellent". Last report card she got "excellent" in everything. This time she's gotten "excellent" in Math and Spelling at least, but the other scores we don't know yet. But she was "shocked" by the above average score because she expected higher and she bawled her eyes out. No amount of telling her how great that score is, or how proud we are of her, or how hard the test is (she said only one kid in the whole class got an excellent.) made her feel better about it. So, I guess I'm going to the school on Monday to ask about how to help her with the fear of failure. It can't be a good thing for an 8 year old to worry so much about grades, especially since it was actually a very good score!
We had the first appointment with the child Psychologist yesterday, too, and she said she couldn't make a diagnosis (obviously) because she hasn't even met MM yet and hasn't evaluated him. But based on what we told her, it sounds like he has some sensory integration disorder and possibly some autism traits, but she needs to look into it further. So we have 3 appointments lined up for her to get to know him more and evaluate what might be going on. So I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed between physical therapy for motor skills, psychology for the emotional problems, perfectionism with Bug, then all the normal daily stuff.

Lynne, Maybe next time you do a giveaway on goodreads, you could let Sarah know so she can enter. It's no guarantee, but it's another chance.
Maybe they'll come back for the others. I know I don't buy a whole series in one go because if you don't like it, then you've spent all the money for nothing. But if I buy one and love it, then I need to go back and get the others. Give it time.
How's your dad doing, now?

Sarah, you don't need to get a LOT of applicants...just the RIGHT applicant. I hope there's someone amazing in the bunch that you'll get along with really well.
I hate that when a book you've been waiting for is a let down. I had that kind of with A Casual Vacancy. Not that it's a BAD book or that I didn't like it at all, it just wasn't what I was hoping for. It didn't suck me in the way I wanted it to.
Signature artwork by TammyAZ
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Hey there!

Yes, yesterday was a very expensive day. New shock absorbers and a service on the car. $1500 later ...

Easy come, easy go.

Today I'm going to a friend's book launch. She writes children's picture books and is doing very well. The bookstore holding the launch is one I've tried to get into for a signing. I'm hoping attending today might lead to me making some connections. We'll see.

Susan - sorry to hear you're sick again. Don't blame your parenting on your kids' problem with this. Little Man is the same. If he finds one mistake in his homework he acts like he's just been told he has failed the entire school year. It's very frustrating. Unfortunately, giveaways on Goodreads have to be only books that have been released in the last six months. I think that's still the case, anyway. I'd love it if they'd change it, as it's better for me to give away The Heir than the other two, as The Heir is the first book. Yes, I hope they'll come back and buy the others. It just meant that I sold fewer copies than I did the last time I was there. My dad's doing okay. We'll be going to their place tomorrow.
Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

Hi everyone.

Had a great day at work today. Got home and took a nap for a couple of hours, and I'm ready for tonight. I'll be watching F1 practice, NASCAR practice and a show about this year's 24 Hours of Le Mans. I'll also be making a pizza tonight. Outside of that, I won't be doing too much.

BTW: I've seen some trailers for The Rover, and it looks pretty intense and amazing. :)

Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

Hey all!

I'm so relieved it's the weekend! Work has been so stressful this week, which I think I mentioned the last time I popped by. I'm really praying about everything and starting to ponder my long term goals and plans, beyond having a family. It's been a year since I've graduated from college and I'm no closer to figuring it out :P

Tomorrow I'm going yard sailing with some Jason's best friends wives, which should be fun. One of them doesn't particularly like me though, so I'm hoping it goes okay!

Lynne-I got Emily Giffin's from the library ;) I'm really glad I did because when I went on Goodreads and read the reviews, it seems pretty much everyone felt the same way I do..I don't want to ruin it for anyone but the story just made me uncomfortable (there's some major ick factor) when she's normally a great writer!

I'm glad you didn't rig it for me! I just looked up The Heir and found it's still available for the Kindle and has free shipping with Prime, so hopefully soon :)

Song-oh that sounds so stressful! Poor you..and poor Bug! I think you're doing a good job with both your kiddos, although it may not feel that way! At least you're taking steps to get there..?
Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

Hi everyone.

I have plans of watching the NASCAR races this weekend, since they are road course races. I also plan on making some chicken nachos tonight when I watch the shortened highlighted Nationwide Series race tonight.

I also wanna do some gaming and I'll probably get started on working on some fan fic tomorrow night. Also, Audi were supposed to run the Le Mans winning R18 around the Nurburgring circuit before the 24 Hour race there this weekend, but I haven't seen any photos or reports of that yet.

Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Hey there!

Today we're going to a World Refugee Day with our church. We went last year and it was really fun. They have stalls which people from different cultural backgrounds set up and sell food and other things. There are also things like camel rides. I'm going to try and convince Little Man to go on one this year. He wouldn't last year and I want to ride a camel!

This afternoon we'll go to my parents' place and I'll see how my father's doing. He seems to be going okay, which is good. It's fantastic that he's finally had this op done.

Sarah - hope your time with the wives is good. Yes, sometimes it takes a while to figure out where God wants us to go in life. It took me about twenty years! I hope you can get The Heir soon. its rating has slipped below 4.00 on Goodreads. Hopefully, if you like it, you can bump it up again.
Songbird
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Songbird »

Today was the kids run and MM got a medal for participating. He's very happy about this. He's always wanted a real medal and he wanted to participate in the Avond 4 daagse, which is a 4 day walking thing where the kids walk 5 or 10 kilometers per day in the evening. He only wanted to do it because he wanted a medal, but I know him and we'd get half a kilometer in and he'd be asking how long it was going to be, and then when we were done for one day, he wouldn't want to come back for the others and would probably cry because he would see it as unfair. This works out well...he ran 1 kilometer in 6 minutes and 15 seconds on one day and gets his medal instead of having to walk for hours, 4 days in a row to get one. The event itself was REALLY disorganized and I was kind of frustrated, but it's over and he got his medal, so yay. We got there and there was no place to check in. We had gotten the initial letter inviting the kids to participate and then nothing since then. I thought they'd at LEAST send out a letter to the kids who signed up, telling them where to be and what time, and with a sponsor sheet attached, but they didn't give us ANYTHING. I went to the website listed on the original letter, which said to go to that site to find out other things to do that day, and I happened to come across the sponsor sheet there, so we printed it out, got sponsors, etc. Then we get there today, there's no where to check in, no where to turn in the sponsor forms and money, no one there to greet the kids or tell us where to be. The kids got their t-shirts on Friday with a sticky note that said "simonsplein, 11:45" on it...but there was no reason for them to be there that early as they didn't run until 12:15 and didn't need to check in or anything. Then, there were 2 other runs today, for adults and they had some streets blocked off. We went and parked in a place that wasn't blocked off and there were no signs that it would be, so we thought we were ok. But they blocked it off AFTER we had parked, on BOTH sides, so we couldn't get out. They ended up letting us through on a side street where there weren't actually runners, so we don't even know WHY they blocked that part off in the first place, then had to back track because one of the ways out was also blocked off, so we had to go back and go the other way to finally get out. Really frustrating and I'm so glad to be home, but I'm so proud of MM. Most of the kids were a LOT older than him...the picture I have of him at the starting line is cute...he barely even comes up to the shoulders of the kids around him. The first kid made it in like...3 minutes. Really fast!! I wasn't expecting anyone to get around that fast so I was surprised when the announcer said "here they come!" MM took about twice that time, but he made it and that's what counts and he's proud of himself. I think it was a good experience for him, and of course he was rewarded well, with ice cream!

Lynne, is it really limited to 6 months? Do re-printings count? I'm just wondering because I'm pretty sure one of the books I saw 2 weeks ago on the giveaways was one I read YEARS ago. The Switch by Sandra Brown. I don't know if it's a reprinting or what, but there were several of Sandra Brown books listed in the giveaways and I know that one is old. I also wonder how they pick their winners...it says site activity gives you a higher chance of winning, but I just won my first one and I'm somewhat active on there, responding to blog posts, updating my books, writing reviews. It also says reviewing books is not necessary but will increase your chances of winning again, but I reviewed the book I won several weeks ago and still haven't won another and I noticed the latest winner of The Reign has 8 books on her First Reads shelf, meaning she won them, and as far as I can see, she hasn't reviewed ANY of them and she only has 32 books on her "read" shelf. I have 235. So while I'm more active, and met the ideas they have for winning more often where she hasn't, she's still won 8 while I've won one. It doesn't make much sense. And if it's random, which it says it is partially, I can't believe this girl could randomly win 8 books in the last 6 months. So there must be some factor I'm not seeing.
Can you not go on a camel ride without your son? Is it only for kids? It sounds like a good time, though!
That's so good to hear that your dad is doing better, but bad news about the costs for your car! Yikes!

Sarah, any news on the replacement for your boss?
Have fun at the yard sales! I hope all goes well with the girl who doesn't like you. Do you know why? Is the feeling mutual? At least in public she has to be civil and if there are other friends involved, she'd not look very good if she didn't at least appear to be friendly. Hopefully it will all be ok.
Your degree is in teaching, isn't it? Is that not what you want to do anymore?
What is the book about that you just read and didn't like?
Signature artwork by TammyAZ