A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Moonlit Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 14 ~ Mind Over Matter

Post by Moonlit Sunlight »

1. At first i was a little creeped out but i was sort of expecting it from the beginning so that didn't bother me as much, and i had read some other vampire books before so i was already prepared. Now if edward had looked his reall age then that would be creepy big time.

2. I think that Edward didn't tell bella about he process because he knew that bella would want to become a vampire and he didn't want her to lose her chance of going to heaven.

3. Before i read BD i thought that bella was going to have the power of stealing other people's powers. For example she would "touch" jasper and so then bella would have the power leaving jasper powerless until she cave it back to him. At the time it seemed like a good gift that the voultry would want and it would also have been very cool.

4. It didn't really creep me out because i knew that edward had been in love with her and to me it seemed sweet that he would watch her while she slept. I seemed normal to me i though about them as being married the only difference is that he would go in through her window like a "regular" teenager.

5. I think that at the time he really did believe that he wouldn't be strong enough to keep her safe, he felt like he was a monster and wouldn't be able to maintain control if he was to be with her in an intimate relationship.

6. I got it right from the beginnig and knew that edward hadn't been with anybody before bella, because when you hear him talk and stuff you can tell that he is totally innocent on this matter and he hadn't even though about it before bella came along.
What a lucky duck! Wish he'd give me a hickey!
"LIfe sucks, and then you die." Jacob Black
Sponser of DBJ & Co. Donating Blood To Jasper & Co.
krissf
Settled in Forks

Post by krissf »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
Not at all was i creeped out.It was kinda of expected really.I like his human history.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
I think he chose to keep this to himself becasue he wants her really not to know too much about the vampire world and wouldnt want her to become one of them.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
To be honest before I read Breaking Dawn my thoughts were very upside down about what trait she would have

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
It made me fall even harder but kinda creeped me out the same time.It was sweet that he was watching over her.he wanted to know more without her knowing.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
I think its a little bit of both really.I think that the physical aspect scares him more then actually killing her.Hes been alone for so long and now the human insecurities are becoming more evident within himself.Even though the temptation isnt as strong, if he for even a second had the wrong thought he could kill her.To be honest how could he really be able to keep his mind focused when other, more better things are taking place at the time?!

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
I got it right from the get go.It was very obvious that he was just as innocent as she was and it actually made the entire relationship alot better for me.I liked that it really was an even playing field within the new feelings they were both experiencing,so they both had insecurities and wants that the other was having as well, but were still both unsure how to deal withit,it made it all the more sweeter.
Twilightlover101

Post by Twilightlover101 »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
I thought, wow this is a man who has definitely experienced the world. I wasn't creeped out by it.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
Because he doesn't want to scare her.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
I don't know maybe a super worrier

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
If it was anyone but edward i would be seriously creeped out, but because it is edward i though, ohh he loves her so much he spies ob her.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
I think he knows most of his strengths and knows when not to push it.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
I think he really is a virgin, he was born in old fashion times, hard not to fall in with the trend
(E.C.Is.Mine)
Wandering Through Town

Post by (E.C.Is.Mine) »

My first thoughts were something like.. "Woah." I wasn't creeped out THAT much simply because Edward still acts like a very mature, knowledgeable 17 year old. He's never been in an older body, so he really hasn't experienced being very old. It didn't creep me out that much.

Edward doesn't like the fact that he's a vampire, and he thinks he's a monster. Why would he want to tell Bella about all the 'gross' stuff that he doesn't like about himself? And remember all the pain and hatred for himself?

I can't really answer that truthfully anymore, i've read Breaking Dawn.. hahah.

Definitely made me fall harder. My friends' reactions were "OMG! HE'S BEEN WATCHING HER SLEEP?? WHAT A CREEPER!!" I was like, no, no. not at all. that's cute.

Half and half. Of course he wants to protect Bella, he always wants to, but yeah i can see how he could lose it like that.

No, I doubt that he has.. I thought that he was just like Bella from the beginning of Twilight. Nothing about him clicked to me, saying, "Oh, definitely he's been in a relationship before." He seemed reserved, quiet, and weird lol.
Suffering from bad cases of OCD and OBD.

Check out my fanfics. http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1699752/omf ... s-my-lover
Imprintings
Settled in Forks

Post by Imprintings »

Nope, I've read a similar book to Twilight with a similar situation. So I was kind of expecting. Who knows, maybe I like guys who are 100+ years...but stuck in their teen years as an immortal? :lol:

I think like with everything Edward keeps Bella in the dark with, he chose not to tell her in detail because:
a) He doesn't want to scare her/freak her out (keeps referring to her being fragile)
b) Thinks maybe Bella will think he is a monster (going back to point a)

I think it definitely hints throughout the series that if Bella does become a vampire that she will for sure have a special trait. I don't think it is possible for her not to have a special trait. Because already as a human, everyone has said that she reacts differently that a 'normal' person should.

At first, when he said it I was like...'STALK much?' But when he said that Bella called out his name, I understood what was going through his head and I thought it was sweet that he wanted to be near her, figure her out and watch out for her.

Ohh, hard question. I think that in the meadow he definitely has put mind over matter and can control himself...because their intimate relationship is just starting to develop and that it isn't as physical and intense at this point. Later I think their relationship has got to the high intimate area and they are starting to look at spending a long time together...where Edward could potentially slip up at any moment if he is not on guard. At this point I think that he has decided it would be too difficult to control himself.

I believe he was, I believe that they were destined to be together...regardless of all the obstacles and that Edward would not really feel the desire or be interested in other girls until he meant Bella (his soulmate).
viokagloring
Wandering Through Town

Post by viokagloring »

actually no. i dont know why. it just doesnt really bother me. plus Edward is stuck in a 17 year old body so he never really got older just wiser. and seeing how Bella is mature for her age anyway, it doesnt really matter.

maybe because its still very painful to think about. its the first real memory he can see clearly and he never forgets anything so the pain is still very real when he remembers it. and also maybe he doesnt want to give her any ideas.

well ive read Breaking Dawn so i know what trait she has. but when i was first reading Twilight, i thought maybe she would get something along the lines of what Jasper has. she is very intuitive about how other people feel and what they want. and something to do with her mind. she is the ONLY person or vampire that Edward cannot hear. so it had to be something dealing with that.

hahaha i thought it was cute! maybe im just a creeper. :lol: but if you think about it you know you love someone when you can watch them sleep all night. again Edward showing his human side. i was like awwwww he loves her!!! i actually said that aloud throughout all the books. whenever something so simple happened between anyone who was in love in the books.

i think both. there is obviously a internal struggle there. he wants to say that he is able to be closer to her and maybe even intimate with her but he doubts himself. of course he wants to protect Bella but he thinks sometimes that the monster inside will take over if he pushes himself too much.

i got it that he was innocent right from the start. just by the way he acts and talks to her. you can tell that this is the first time he has had any experience with that kind of relationship. plus he is very old fashioned. i dont think he would do anything with another girl/vampire if he wasnt sure he absolutely loved her and would be with her forever.

...strong emotions can alter us in permanent ways.
CullenObsessed313
Settled in Forks

Post by CullenObsessed313 »

I personally thought and call me crazy that 108 years old wasn't very old but rather instead pretty young. I mean, he still has, what, maybe 700 years to go? His human history however did creep me out a little. LIke I said before though, I wasn't at all creeped out by the age difference between him and Bella.

I think that Edward doesn't want Bella getting big ideas about running off to his siblings and having them change her. He doesn't want to as he puts it, "I refuse to d*** you to a soul-less life of eternity". He's just looking out for her in my opinion.

I already know what happens so I am going to shut my trap and not spill anything. :?

*Sigh* If Edward was watching me all night, I would be ecstatic. Seriously. It did creep me out a little how he got in and stuff but it did make me fall harder for Edward. :D :oops: :P

I think that he is trying to protect Bella but at the same time he is trying to be honest with himself. He loves Bella too much to live with himself if she gets hurt.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
I got it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella. I mean seriously, come on people. I think that Edward loves Bella too much to lie to her especially with such a serious issue.
From ze desk of the Coolest Twilight Obsessed Dork in se history of dorks:
"Kryptonite doesn't bother me either."
-If you look up "perfection" in the dictionary, there's a picture of Edward Cullen.
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

His story made me a little sad, his age never bothered me. Mainly because he wasn't physically old. So it never really creeped me out.

Ummm.. I think he didn't want to bring up the pain of the memories that he wanted to forget, and that he didn't want Bella to know how to become one.

Iv'e read all 4 books, so I don't want to give anything out to others how haven't yet.

I found it a little bit wierd, but then I thought about it, and was like 'someone wanting to watch you all night just so they could hear your unconscious thoughts when they most definitely could have been doing something a lot more entertaining' I thought that it was kind of sweet.. if any of that makes sense?.?.?

Both. He is definitely trying to protect Bella, but I also think that he is scared. He hasn't ever been with anybody before, and its been decades since he's even felt human desires, and all the desires he's feeling now are all new to not only him, but both of them. And if he even for a second had a wrong thought then he could kill her.

I thought that he was just as innocent as Bella. And I'm glad that they were both experiencing first love for the first time. All the emmotions, and insecurities, and everything else was all very new for the both of them, and it made the story so much more beautiful.
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

My favorite time in history is the late 1800's to the early 1900's so he was born during my favorite era. I loved that. No, I wasn't creeped out because I don't see him as being that much older. Physically, they look the same age. Mentally, she is more mature and so is he. I thought they were perfect for each other.

When I first read it, I thought it was because he didn't want to scare her. Now I think he didn't want her to know the details because he was resisting Alice's vision that Bella would become a vampire.

I always believed that she would have a special trait, I just didn't know what it would be. I had a couple of theories that didn't pan out. I thought her aversion/ability to smell to blood as a human could lead to some trait as a vampire. I also contemplated the fact that her dreams were usually intuitive so she might have visions of some kind.

It didn't creep me out. I already suspected that he was watching her at different times so the knowledge that he was watching her sleep wasn't a far stretch for me to accept. If I were in Bella's position, I would have been embarrassed about it though.

I believed Edward's explanation that he could physically harm Bella if he wasn't thinking about his movements. I didn't think that his denial of an intimate relationship was based on her scent, but rather on the fact that he could crush her. He showed his ability to take in her scent at very close range for long periods of time in the meadow so I think that is only a mild concern for him in this instance.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
I didn't really think about it. I suppose if I had given it some thought, I would have believed that he was a virgin. He seemed too nervous and uncomfortable, unsure of what to do. All of his feelings were too new to him.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
*TwilightIsMyDrug*

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

I was fascinated. Not in the least creeped out. His "age" fits him.

When I first read it, I thought maybe he wasn't telling her because it caused HIM pain to remember/talk about it. He said it's something that you never forget and I really think it's a tough memory for him.

From the very beginning, I was sure she would end up as a Vampire. When she talked about never fitting in in this world, I wondered if maybe she would totally fit in in the magical one. I always had a feeling that her special gift would be VERY special and I was right. I just wasn't sure what it was...

FELL SO MUCH HARDER...love me some Edward!

I think he is absolutely unsure about what would happen if they had a sexual relationship. Like Bella, Edward has never experienced that. He's not sure how he will react and he would never dare put Bella any more danger than necessary. I don't think he was contradicting himself. He knows he can control his hunger my being around her, but he's not sure what would happen if they slept together.

I felt that he was as innocent as Bella right from the start. If you just look at the way he acts around her, you can tell that he's never felt like this before. He even says that it's all new to him and he doesn't really know what to make of it. I don't really understand why anyone would think that he wasn't just as innocent as Bella...
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward