Bella's Vehicles

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Landiana
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Re: Bella's Vehicles

Post by Landiana »

Twilightlover101 wrote:
Stormy wrote: The "before" car was of course quite hilarious. I was rolling when I read how indestructible the car was, and that Edward had let Bella drive it while she was still human. How funny!
I found myself wanting a indestructible car, it was hilarious.
lol i laughed so mcuh when i found out that it was indestructable. i will probably need one of those when i satrt to drive (anyone who lives in the Uk beware. it is only one year, and nowhere will be safe from the danger that i pose behind the wheel of a car!)
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4851042/1/English_Vampires
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward
Ellie Ibis
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Ellie Ibis »

I was thoroughly disappointed with the before and after cars. Bella's truck had character, and I think Bella needs a car with character. Yes, the Cullens do all drive fast, flashy cars, but those type of cars are nothing special beyond the price tag.

I wish Edward had put more thought into the after car, at least. I really wish he had looked at older cars to have fixed, refurbished and modded. I'm not saying Bella needs a 1975 VW Baja (that might be too much character for her), but I do think she needs something more interesting than a Ferrari.

Of course, this just might be my prejudice against any car made after 1980 (... except my own car, who I love even if he was made in 2003.)
the cops & the kids & the cats & the robbers
& the stolen moments from the out of tune guitars
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

I agree, Ellie Ibis.
This might be a little off topic, but I find it interesting how the cars kind of parallel the person who they came from. Edward's cars to Bella are flashy and kind of... impersonal. The Black's truck (we can say it's from Jacob, for the sake of making a point ;) ) has character and really matches the kind of thing Bella likes.

This can kind of be applied to the charm bracelet given to Bella by Jacob, but not quite as well.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
Ellie Ibis
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Ellie Ibis »

Amivera wrote:I agree, Ellie Ibis.
This might be a little off topic, but I find it interesting how the cars kind of parallel the person who they came from. Edward's cars to Bella are flashy and kind of... impersonal. The Black's truck (we can say it's from Jacob, for the sake of making a point ;) ) has character and really matches the kind of thing Bella likes.

This can kind of be applied to the charm bracelet given to Bella by Jacob, but not quite as well.
Exactly.

You know what I would have loved? If Edward had went to Jacob to ask for car ideas for Bella. Jacob knows cars, and I suspect he has a better grasp of a car's personality than Edward does, and, lets face it, I think Bella and Jacob bonded over motor vehicles a bit more than Bella and Edward ever did. It wouldn't be too hard to find a fast car with the same personality and feel as her old Chevy, so long as you're patient and know where to look, especially with the Cullen's endless flow of cash to back the search. Of course, I think that would have wounded Edward's pride a bit, haha. Edward and Jacob car-shopping... I can just imagine that now.

I realize a Ferrari is a 'Cullen' car, but Bella is more than just a Cullen, and while I think it was supposed to be a statement of welcoming, it backfired in my mind. It was more like a sacrifice of Bella's personality.

You know, I'm kind of disappointed the Cullens don't have a greater respect for older cars. I suppose when you just want to drive fast, though...

EDIT BECAUSE I AM CAR OBSESSED: I totally like the idea of Bella staying in a 1950s Chevy, back with they still had that classy look. I'm thinking because as a vampire she might want to go fast she should get a car versus a truck since it would be easier to change up the insides of a car to go fast, and wouldn't roll over like a truck could. If you've ever seen a 1950s Chevy truck, you should know they have a very distinct look, and I think her car should be reminiscent of that (which, again, is why Bella should stick to 1950s Chevys.)

Personally, I would like to see Bella in a refurbished, and slightly altered 1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe in red:
http://50classicchevy.com/1950-chevrole ... eluxe.html

... I wouldn't mind one for myself, either.
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

Edward and Jacob car-shopping. :D Now that's a thought.

Yes, I thought by becoming a Cullen, it was like she was almost sacrificing *herself*, in so many ways. Not only was she giving up her humanity, the clumsiness, and the fainting at the sight of blood, but she was giving up her very simple lifestyle in clothes, cars, and just herself in general.

Bella really, *really* seemed to hate anything Edward got her, and not because it was bad, but because he was spending money on her. I thought she really became more of herself around Jacob, and allowed him to give her gifts— not lavish her, per say, the way Edward tended to do, but the charm bracelet, for example, she took willingly; whereas, when Edward wanted to add his charm, she almost threw a fit. He kind of guilted her into it, though.

In the same way, Bella probably would have accepted a car more easily if Jacob had helped in picking it out.
And I agree that it would have definitely reflected Bella rather than the Cullens.

And I know they *like* to drive fast, but they don't really *need* to drive fast. They have all the time in the world. :lol:
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
Ellie Ibis
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Ellie Ibis »

Amivera wrote:Edward and Jacob car-shopping. :D Now that's a thought.

Yes, I thought by becoming a Cullen, it was like she was almost sacrificing *herself*, in so many ways. Not only was she giving up her humanity, the clumsiness, and the fainting at the sight of blood, but she was giving up her very simple lifestyle in clothes, cars, and just herself in general.

Bella really, *really* seemed to hate anything Edward got her, and not because it was bad, but because he was spending money on her. I thought she really became more of herself around Jacob, and allowed him to give her gifts— not lavish her, per say, the way Edward tended to do, but the charm bracelet, for example, she took willingly; whereas, when Edward wanted to add his charm, she almost threw a fit. He kind of guilted her into it, though.

In the same way, Bella probably would have accepted a car more easily if Jacob had helped in picking it out.
And I agree that it would have definitely reflected Bella rather than the Cullens.

And I know they *like* to drive fast, but they don't really *need* to drive fast. They have all the time in the world. :lol:
The thing is, 1950 Chevy trucks aren't simple--if I saw one I know I would probably drag the driver over and spur up a conversation with them, especially if it was in good shape. They aren't flashy or expensive, though, which seems to define the Cullens, but not Bella at all.

Edward needs to realize that just because Bella is a Cullen she's not going to stop being Bella, but there are also ways for her to be both. Take the 1950s Chevy Styleline I think would work for Vampire!Bella, it's flashy yet classic, which I think would be a good mixing of her pre- and post-transformation. Also, I imagine Jacob wouldn't mind working on it one bit. The Cullens need to not try to mold her into their lifestyle so much as be more accepting of the fact Bella is a simple girl.

... but I'm getting off topic. (Sorry!)

I have a certain disdain for the Cullens' view of cars just because I love cars so much, and fancy expensive ones just don't do it for me. They don't seem to understand that cars have personalities, and that's just... ugh. I remember when Bella said something about how her truck could be Edward's car's grandfather. It was like, there, she gets it, cars are more than just objects, especially since most people are stuck with theirs for years. I suppose it would be hard for the Cullens to understand because they can just go and buy a new one whenever they feel.

... I think I should just live in this thread. Oh how I love cars~
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

Ellie Ibis wrote: I suppose it would be hard for the Cullens to understand because they can just go and buy a new one whenever they feel.

... I think I should just live in this thread. Oh how I love cars~
:lol:

This is really off topic, but... that's the price you pay for being rich (haha). Objects that once meant something special (a thousand dollar dress; a yellow porsche; a ring) begin to lose meaning, I think. Because you can always want more, but when everything is at the tip of your fingers, what does it really mean?

In this case, it's the cars. To you, to Jacob, to Bella maybe even, cars mean a lot more. They have to do with personality and style, almost defining your character (maybe I'm taking this too far... XD ), but with the Cullens, the cars are mere objects they can manipulate. (Oh, except Rosalie, who really likes tinkering with them)
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
ChristinasHeadache
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by ChristinasHeadache »

I am sorta curious why everyone says the Ferrari was red... I never read that in the book. Just that the after car was a Ferrari. So where did we get the info that it is a red one?
eliselovesedwardx is my TwiTwin!
E<3B Team Edward, Knight in Shiny Volvo!
WreckingBall Operator in EDC Inc.~Lets break down some houses!~
Jr Staff Supervisor in Wingtear's Non-Veggie Vamp Cafe
Elisa the Spanker in Twilight Mafia

*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

My grandfather still has his old '53 Chevy just like Bella's!! He keeps it out at his farm and uses it to haul stuff around. I laughed really hard when I read that this was her car. Me and all my cousins learned how to drive on that truck!! LOL! We've always been perplexed that it's STILL running. Somehow it is. I took some pictures of it this spring when I went out to my grandfather's farm. I must say, they turned out really well. It just seems like such a part of our family history, that I had to. And, it's just sooo Twilight, of course... :-)
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
everlong
Learning to Love Green

Post by everlong »

Maybe it was just me..but i loved it when Bella finally got a new car! Maybe thats because i like flashy cars (because of my dad) and I liked to see Bella getting one, what an upgrade. Aspecialy those guys talking about her car and takeing a picture. Hilarious.