Remembering September 11th

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
simple_love♫
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Remembering September 11th

Post by simple_love♫ »

at the time of 9/11 incident i was living 8 hours away in Buffalo area in my 3rd grade class
and the school's TVs went on in all the class rooms and we saw it on the news EVERYONE in my area had candles on their porches at night (i don't know if anyone else's neighborhood did that)
...shortly after Toby Keith came out with "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue", Darryl Worley's "Have You Forgotten?", and Alan Jackson's "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning"
that event impacted the lives of so many Americans. they have a memorial in the Louisville Slugger Museum in KY of a flag with the names of everyone who lost their life that day
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノKitty.
NKistheshiz
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by NKistheshiz »

I remember that day perfectly.
I was in third grade and we were talking about what was happening and one of the kids said that the twin towers had been hit. I live in CA which is not close to NY but I was shocked. I have like four or five friends who lived and had family living in NY at that time.
Inquisitive and thoughtful,
she was the challenge he'd been waiting for;
a reminder that creativity runs deep like secrets.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I was in fourth grade and my dad woke me up ten minutes early to tell me about it, but he was baffled and I was groggy, so all I understood was "New York" and "hit". At first I thought, "Why do I care what's going on in New York? I want to sleep!" Then I saw my mom watching the news and the second plane go in and watched the towers crumble. I don't think I understood then, but I knew it was bad.
I love Yellowcard's song "Believe" about the event. Here's a video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMzGBU5m ... re=related
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

I remember it perfectly. I was in 3rd grade and I got pulled out of school early by my dad because my mom works in NYC. Luckily she was far away but it was still scary. PS that is also the day my cousin was born (in the city ironically)
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

I was in 3rd grade. i had just gotten up, and i headed downstairs, only to find my mom and dad staring at the tv, looking at a loss for words. once they noticed i was awake, they came over and made me breakfast, still listening to the tv, but just wanting to make things at least a little normal for me. i didn't really understand what all of it meant at the time. i can remember looking at the tv, watching as they replayed the video of the planes crashing into the towers time and time again, and thinking 'wow. this is going to be talked about tomorrow,' only to find out that it was very significant and that we would still be talking about it for years to come.
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
newyorkaise
Settled in Forks

Post by newyorkaise »

I forget who it was but some poster on the previous page said something to the effect that we only lost buildings that day... that's not true, almost 3000 people died that day too. While it's true that losing the Twin Towers was sad, it isn't the end of the world. However most of the memorials/commemoration ceremonies are for the people who worked in there/police officers/firemen who lost their lives that day. Not for a bunch of buildings. 9/11 was a completely unprovoked attack on American soil. Pearl Harbor occurred during World War II (and I do realize the US hadn't entered the war at that point), but the two are completely separate events. It's hard to compare the two when the circumstances were completely different. There was no war going on in Europe the day the two planes flew into the towers/into the Pentagon/into that field in Pennsylvania. The same thing goes for the Madrid and London train bombings.

I'm from outside of NYC so I'm sorry if I sound a little offended... it's because I am. My mom works in Manhattan, as do my aunt and uncle. Luckily mom happened to be out of the city that day on a business trip. My father also used to work literally right by the WTC, though by that time he had switched job locations and now no longer works in Manhattan. I have friends who live in the city and I know people who saw the planes hit the towers without seeing it on tv. A lot of families in the county I live in were affected by the attacks, either lost a family member/lost a family friend. My father had a colleague who just happened to be in a meeting that very day at the top of one of the towers. She obviously never made it home.

I also used to babysit for two girls who lost their father to 9/11. They were too young to really remember their father and used to joke about it "Our father died in a plane crash because some bad men were in the plane!" and would giggle about it. I don't think they realized how serious the attacks were... However the story does have a happy ending: the mother ended up remarrying and they call their stepfather Daddy because they were really too young to grieve over a father they never really got to know. Both of them have pictures of their biological father on their bedside, I'm sure their mother talks about him to them often.
psugar
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by psugar »

I was in first grade when it happened. I physcic I think, here's what my mother remembers me saying that morning probably around 7 in the morning.

Me:Mommy I don't wanna go to school today
Mom:Why not?
Me: I closed my eyes and saw planes crashing into building and people running

My mother dismissed that and sent me off to school, later that day what I saw happened, my mother picked me up from school, got home and turned on the news, this is what I said.

Me: Mommy that's what I saw *points at TV*

My friend's uncle was one of the pilots that died, one of my relatives died in the towers. I think the exact moment I predicted was when the second plane crashed.
Trainee of EDC-Let's break down some houses!
In my version of Twilight Jacob never existed!
Maus
Wandering Through Town

Post by Maus »

I was in 7th grade. My parents pulled my sister and me out of class that day. It was my sister's birthday and she was only in 4th grade. She's really sensitive and as it turns out she still thinks her birthday is cursed.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

I can't believe it's been 7 1/2 years since this day. I was a junior in high school when it happened. I remember hearing something on the radio in the morning about a plane hitting a building in NYC but didn't know much more. than at school pretty much every tv in the classrooms had it on. so we watched it & kept seeing those planes hitting the buildings. at first I honestly didn't understand what was going on, I didn't realize it was a terrorist attack until after I got home & was watching more coverage that night. that was just such a terrible day & event I can't imagine what those families have gone through. whenever I think about it it makes me sad & my heart goes out to all those affected.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
uniqueTWILIGHTfan
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by uniqueTWILIGHTfan »

It seems like only yesterday, huh. 7 1/2 years, oh my goodness.
I remember I was in the first grade and my class was in the middle of math when the principal came over the intercom and told all of the teachers to turn on the tv's in the classroom and I remember seeing the towers falling and all of the people running and crying and shouting. I remember my teachers crying and I also remember that at only the tender age of 6 many of us did not get what was wrong and I remember our teacher explaining to us that some mean, bad people were trying to/had hurt our country.

That is one day I will never forget.
God Bless All of Those Families.
God Bless the US.