What did you think of the Twilight Series?

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ilovetwilight
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: What did you think of the Twilight Series?

Post by ilovetwilight »

QualityControlWitch wrote:Hmm...what did I think...
Well, the first thing I thought was, Dear deity, is she actually trying to write well?
And then: Great. Sue meets Stu.
And then: Sweet Oz, they sparkle?! *facepalm*
And then: Please...no...more...Eddikins...descriptions...
And then: Didn't I read this fifty pages back?
And then: Will this never end?
And finally, at the end: How the hell did this ever get published?
Lather, rinse, repeat for the next manure piles--err, books.
And I won't even mention that utterly ridiculous pregnancy and childbirth sequence...

Smeyer, what hast thou wrought?!
um qualitycontrolwitch:
why are you here? because this is for people who
like the saga
like stephenie meyer
are excited for the movie
& like to discuss things about the books and movie
you have not shown that you like anything about the books, so my guess is YOU SHOULDN'T BE HERE!
Active Donor for: DBJ & Co. (Dontating Blood to Jasper!)
Jackhammer Trainee for: EDC Inc. "Let's break down some houses"
Co-Captain for EDCCS!
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

that's what I do with my spare time... run around to cooment on things that I really dislike. Where is the thread on brussel sprouts???
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
NKistheshiz
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by NKistheshiz »

At first, I thought it was the an easy read (I read 50 pages the first night just because it was so easy) and a quick read. I wasn't planning on reading the sequels, but I decided to after my friends told me they were awesome. I still haven't completed Breaking Dawn, but I am more than half way through.

Overall, the books were good. I love them, but their not my favorite books.
Inquisitive and thoughtful,
she was the challenge he'd been waiting for;
a reminder that creativity runs deep like secrets.
Shakespeare
Wandering Through Town

Post by Shakespeare »

Nena wrote:Tell us what you thought at first, where you interested in reading a YA book?, did you know it was about vampires? etc.
Well, considering that it says it's about vampires on the back of the book, I did know that much. That also made the first 200 or so pages really slow since the answer to Edward's eccentricity was obvious. It just made me more annoyed with Bella than I already was. Even after that "discovery" I still had to push through the book as the plot didn't even show up until 4/5 of the way through the book. But at least I had sparkles to keep myself entertained. The ending was rushed and not written well. In all, I was deeply dissatisfied, considering the hype.

Then I started actually thinking about the book. Now I'm an anti. :twisted:
I'm actually an anti. I don't like the Twilight series at all.

I'm here because I enjoy discussing literature and I think it's often much more interesting to talk to people who disagree with you.

And yes, I have read the books. ;)
bella_love3
Learning to Love Green

Post by bella_love3 »

i for one thought the series was amazing and the way stephanie meyer wrote the human (and some not so human) interactions was just brilliant. i am so deeply connected to the books and i don't know why. they are just my favorites (barely beating harry potter though).

my true beginning with twilight was well... honestly making fun of my friends for reading it. a book about vampires haa. i mean i wouldn't have mad fun of them for reading it, it was there obsessions that seemed so weird. one night my mother came home with it (because her friend had recommended it) and i thought thats strange that my mom got that book maybe i will read it later to see what all the talk was about. my sister started reading it and she loved it (she is still reading it currently, she is a very slow reader and tends to lose her books). i however held out until my mother grounded me after a huge fight. i was sentenced to my room for the night and i almost died of without human interactions. after finishing my AP english, honors bio, and math homework i decided i needed something better to do. i searched through my books and didn't find a rereadable book. i remembered the twilight books and asked my sister to go retrieve for me. when i started reading it i was so bored but then edward came about and i was officaly hooked. i finished the book in time to go get the New Moon the next morning and well my love for twilight stems from there.

and as for those of you who write hate post i really don't understand why people join the website if they are going to rag on the books. by all means everyone has a right to their own opinions. if you think that the series is utterly ridiculous and pointless (ahhh i can't believe i just typed that) than fine its what you believe. but dont waste your time blogging about your hatred. you obviously only want to start a fight becasue why would you join a website for fans... when you clearly are not one. and isn't it against the rules to do that?
MariePaz
Settled in Forks

Post by MariePaz »

The books were amazing. My favorite was Twilight. I've only had the books for a little less than a week and I'm on my 3rd, maybe 4th, reading on some of them.

This is sick. This is the definition of obsession. Each time though, the guilty pleasure of going back again just can't be resisted. Maddening.

I hope she decides to finish Midnight Sun. Her online revelation of the unfinished book was such an incredible gift. Extremely generous and very Bella in her offering despite how betrayed and angry the internet leak made her feel.

Only problem: Brand new thing to obsess about.

Will the obsession ever end?
Shakespeare
Wandering Through Town

Post by Shakespeare »

bella_love3 wrote: and as for those of you who write hate post i really don't understand why people join the website if they are going to rag on the books. by all means everyone has a right to their own opinions. if you think that the series is utterly ridiculous and pointless (ahhh i can't believe i just typed that) than fine its what you believe. but dont waste your time blogging about your hatred. you obviously only want to start a fight becasue why would you join a website for fans... when you clearly are not one. and isn't it against the rules to do that?
No, I'm not here to start a fight. If I ever felt that I was only causing problems, I would leave immediately. But this is not the only fansite I belong to, so I think that I can stay here without causing any major arguments. I do not consider any of this to be a waste of time. Beyond simply enjoying this, I think that analysis of books helps improve my writing and literary comprehension. I talk to fans because I think it is much more interesting to discuss views with people who disagree with you. I don't think any of the moderators or administrators have a problem with me being here, so I'm pretty sure that it is not against the rules.

Sorry for getting off-topic. :)
I'm actually an anti. I don't like the Twilight series at all.

I'm here because I enjoy discussing literature and I think it's often much more interesting to talk to people who disagree with you.

And yes, I have read the books. ;)
(E.C.Is.Mine)
Wandering Through Town

Post by (E.C.Is.Mine) »

I remember I was in the car with my friend, Steph, going up to her chalet. And she was reading.. Twilight, or New Moon. And I remember asking her, "Are you reading that dumb story about the vampires and stuff?"
"Yeah, and its' not dumb... if you read it, you'd be attached."
"I don't think so... it sounds really really stupid. Vampires aren't real."
"You're going to wish they were."
"I doubt it."
"Just try it."
So she convinced me to read Twilight, telling me that it would get better after a few chapters. I listened to her... sure enough, I was ABSOLUTELY HOOKED by the fourth chapter, or something. She also told me that there was this super amazing vampire guy that you'll fall in love with (didn't believe her), but read, and here I am... hahaaa.
I was engrossed in that book, we had that conversation in the car on a Thursday, in August 08. It was labour day weekend coming up, so on that Friday, I finished Twilight (we spent the WHOLE day reading, I SWEAR!), and then on Saturday we went out for a bit, but came back to read New Moon and stuff by the pool. And yeah, then i went out and bought Eclipse and Breaking Dawn..
And I've been a proud patient of a serious case of OCD ever since.
Suffering from bad cases of OCD and OBD.

Check out my fanfics. http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1699752/omf ... s-my-lover
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Tell us what you thought at first, where you interested in reading a YA book?, did you know it was about vampires? etc.

Hi, my name is BlueStarlight, and I'm addicted to Twilight!

I am 32 years old, not much of a reader. It's not that books don't interest me, I just don't read. True, I read all the Harry Potter series last year, but before that, it was just a romance novel every now and then... years before that it was required reading for school and college.

I found this wonderful world in July of this year. I was on my Facebook putting Harry Potter Flair on my board, when I came across a couple that referenced Twilight and Harry or Edward Cullen and Cedric. I loved Rob as Cedric in HP, and was just so sad that he played a character who died. Two pieces stood out to me: one was Edward and Harry, and the caption said "sure, he's a sparkly vampire, and I'm still the boy who lived." I was like "what? Cedric is not a vampire! What is this???" The other was just the caption "Twilight did not cure my post-Potter depression." So I searched the Flair for Twilight and read pages upon pages of the little buttons and deduced that Twilight was a movie made from a book. I looked it up on IMDB and watched the teaser trailer, seeing Rob in all his Edward-glory and thought "I HAVE to see this."

SMeyer's website was listed on there, so I checked it out. I hate having the end of a story told to me before I even know the beginning, so when I saw that there were 3 books out, and the last scheduled to come out the next month, I froze! I DID NOT want to read her site, but I WANTED to read her site!! So, I resisted the temptation and only read the synopsis of Twilight. I was leaving that week to fly to Tampa to see my brother, so I bought Twilight to read on the plane, thinking it would last me my whole week's worth of vacation... ho, ho, ho!! I started on Thursday, and finished on Saturday after we got back from the beach. Sunday, my bro and I went grocery shopping, and I bought the next 2. I was hooked just from reading the back cover of Twilight!!!

I finished up the first 3 with about 10 days before BD came out. So, what's a girl to do about this time??? Hehe- I hit Steph's website, read every little detail on there. I came to the Lex and read every little detail on there, but stayed away from the message boards. I didn't want to read anything on here before I read BD. I'm glad, because now I have found people on here who have been fans from the get-go, and they understand the characters a lot better than I did just by reading the books once. I read all the timelines and bios and such, watched all the set visit videos, too. I went to YouTube and watched all the behind-the-scenes footage I could find.

I have read Twilight 5 times, New Moon and Eclipse 4 times, and right now, I'm reading Breaking Dawn for the third time... I just can't seem to get enough, and I find something new every time I read each one!

To answer the questions:
1. What did I think about it at first? I was very intrigued by the love story between Edward and Bella. My only exposure to vampires was Buffy, Angel, and the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula with Gary Oldman. I had never read a vampire novel or seen any other vampire movies other than Dracula and The Lost Boys. I liked the world Meyer created for her vampires- they were different, they had consciences, they strived to do good by abstaining from human blood! I liked the fact that the story was told from Bella's POV, though at times I was frustrated not knowing what was going on in Edward's head when he and Bella were together. I read the books way tooooo fast the first time, and I missed things. My subsequent reads, however, I made myself take my time through and really READ the story. I love the easy-read feel, too. You don't get bogged down by heavy words and story lines that are so thick and complex you need to take notes to keep things straight.

2. Was I interested in reading a YA book and did I know it was about vampires? Well, I didn't know it was classified as a YA book until after I read that on Meyer's website. Yes, I knew it was about vampires, because I had seen the trailer for the movie and read the synopsis on Meyer's website before reading the books.

What is it about these books that draws so many people in, that makes me read them repeatedly? Honestly, I have never been sucked into a world like this before! I LOVE the HP movies, and I have watched them repeatedly, but I've only read the books once. The only other thing I was crazed about was during my highschool years, and that was Anne of Green Gables. Meyer has a way of making her vampires appear REAL to the reader, dispelling all the myths, setting her book in an ACTUAL town, an every-day, normal town, with every-day, normal humans! This makes you think that these characters are real people! So many times had I read a book and thought, "this is just beyond belief." Stephenie has "that touch."

I love the complexity of the relationships in the Twi-Universe; rarely is anything simple, and things aren't always as they appear. I love the emotional tone of the story; Meyer pulls you in and makes you feel the emotions that Bella feels. I was nervous when Bella went to her first day at Forks High, I was scared when she faced James, I got butterflies when she kissed Edward, I grieved when Edward left, I was happy when she found a friend in Jake, my heart dropped when Edward went to the Volturi when he thought Bella was dead, I wept for the life she envisioned with Jake when he kissed her, but would never have. I was happy and nervous with her on her wedding day, I was scared, shocked, and my heart was breaking when she gave birth to Nessie; I felt the impending doom in facing the Volturi, and her desperate resolve to find a way to make sure Nessie survived the confrontation... and I about split apart with joy when she was finally able to "show" Edward her thoughts at the end!!!

My least favorite part of the series.... the words "the end."
vampirechick101
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by vampirechick101 »

seriously before twilight I thought vampires were creepy but I fell in love with them and my world revolves around the cullens :lol:
I loved every book equally. I never imagined Breaking Dawn to be like that but I am content with the plot and the turn the book made. I surely wish she would continue the Twilight Saga on and on :lol: The end was a really sweet happy ending becasue you know that there's still mysteries to be solved but they were happy and will be happy for ever and ever and ever :D Stephenie Meyer couln't have done it better
JACKHAMMER OPERATOR OF THE EDC! EMMETT'S DEMOLITION CREW WOOT WOOT!
Team Rosalie!~ every rose has it's thorns.
Mimi1=My Twi-Twin
You.Are.Not.Leaving.Me- Ian O'Shea<3 *sigh*