Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
AgentCross
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Edward Cullen

Post by AgentCross »

Zoika94 wrote:i agree with u all and xxtopaz (i read ur msg by highliting it) u r absolutley rite!!!! i guess edward was rite to call him son....but it was kind of awkward.......i mean hes only 2 yrs songer than bella...... oh well. watever!!!!!!WE STILL LUV EDWARD CULLEN!!!!! NO MATTER WAT!!!! though im still switzerland!!! im nuetral!!!! i luv both vamp and werewolfe. though i knew edward would get bella.

Clearly Edward puts Bella outside of some of his perceptions. Because like I said earlier, he refers to all of Bella's classmates and even Jacob in book one as a child/children, conveniently leaving Bella out of that category.
"A Proud Twilight Guy"
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i thought edward calling jacob son was weird. just weird. i know it was meant to be all symbolic and stuff, but it just felt icky to me.

but yeah, agentcross, you are right, he counts bella differently, and she IS different. she is an old soul.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

i thought it was cool when edward called jacob son. it was like, now he accepts that jacob is going to be apart of his life, whether he likes it or not, and is officially giving him that gratitude. i like thinking that jacob is going to be edwards son. it was a very happy ending for everyone!
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

urcoolcarrie wrote:i thought it was cool when edward called jacob son. it was like, now he accepts that jacob is going to be apart of his life, whether he likes it or not, and is officially giving him that gratitude. i like thinking that jacob is going to be edwards son. it was a very happy ending for everyone!
That may be true, but calling Jacob "son" is taking that acceptance to a whole new level. Perhaps saying something like "my brother" would be too much because he sees Jake as so much younger than him, but age didn't seem to matter too much to the Cullens. Also, I just never felt that--though their relationship grew VASTLY in Breaking Dawn--that Edward and Jake's relationship had reached a point where Edward could call him "son". It was just a bit too soon for all that. Both had been all but ready to kill the other earlier in the book. Jake with the Bella thing, Edward with the Nessie thing.

It was a happy ending and Edward, in all his angst--and goodness knows he has A LOT of angst--can finally chill and stop worrying all the time. Haha wifey has got him covered!
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

i didn't find the word 'son' toward jacob weird at all. What i got from that was that it was Edward's way of accepting jacob, that he FINALLY excepted jacob to be Renesme's and he hers. Even though jacob doesn't think of Reneseme that way. still though. it was at a time when no one knew what the outcomes of their lives would be and abviously Bella set everything up for jacob to run away with Reneseme. Edward excepted that, he loved Reneseme enough to let her go with someone he could trust her with.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

malaz, edward had no idea nessie would possibly be running away, bella didn't tell anyone, remember?

i think that son came off as disrespectful. i understand how it was meant, but no one is disputing that. what i'm saying is that it came off as if edward were almost sort of "higher" than jacob. "son" connotes a certain relationship that jacob and edward should never have. period.

on a different note, agentcross, i'm glad you can take sarcasm....you seem like the sort of person who may need it once in a while.... :lol:

Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:malaz, edward had no idea nessie would possibly be running away, bella didn't tell anyone, remember?
yes he did, at the time when Edward said the quote "goodbye, Jacob, my brother...my son." he knew what Bella had planned.
AgentCross

Post by AgentCross »

malaz wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:malaz, edward had no idea nessie would possibly be running away, bella didn't tell anyone, remember?
yes he did, at the time when Edward said the quote "goodbye, Jacob, my brother...my son." he knew what Bella had planned.

Yeah, Edward was well aware. I think that's why I didn't find the line odd. It was a way of him finally accepting and vocalizing that Jacob isn't some mutt, dog, or mongrel. He's family.... a Son.
"A Proud Twilight Guy"
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

mmm, wait. bella couldn't tell edward what her plan was for nessie if it came to a fight because of aro's ability right? unless i have it mixed up and she was planning to just keep him safe no matter what with the shield. i lent my book to someone, so this is frustrating. :x

either way, it just seemed disrespectful to me. but i don't think we should really spend so much time on it, i mean, it's just word choice. we all know what SM's intentions were. and we've all had issues with word choice.... ;)

AgentCross

Post by AgentCross »

Right before Bella starts using her shield in earnest and Alice comes back. Bella tells Jacob to take Renesmee and to keep running, then Edward looks at her and says "So this is what you were keeping from me?" and Bella tell's Jacob that he is the only one they could ever trust Renesmee with which is why she is able to let Renesmee go with him. Then they say there goodbyes and Edward says his line.. which I really can't see how it's disrespectful...That's a bit of a stretch.
"A Proud Twilight Guy"