Pronounciation Key

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: Pronounciation Key

Postby clariissaa » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:56 pm

I always thought Leah was pronounced Lay-ah because that's my friend's name
Then I heard SM say Lee-ah and I was like "Who?"
And Siobahn is said like Shiv-awn? whhaatt?
Image
User avatar
clariissaa
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Pronounciation Key

Postby Our Icy Affection » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:06 pm

So is it Lay or La la la?

Someone help!
~The name's Affection, Our Icy Affection, but you can call me Icy for short~
User avatar
Our Icy Affection
Buying a Better Raincoat
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:42 pm
Location: Chasing Bella and Edward in California

Re: Pronounciation Key

Postby edward's#1fangrrl » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:24 pm

clariissaa wrote:And Siobahn is said like Shiv-awn? whhaatt?


Siobhan is indeed pronounced that way; it's my middle name, i would know. :D ;)
edward's#1fangrrl
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: dreaming about edward...

Re: Pronounciation Key

Postby jenni_elyse » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:46 pm

vamp na hEireann wrote:There's meant to be a line above the a in Siobhán like that but it only makes a difference if you understand the basics of Irish so...yeah.just a bit of useless information. :D


Does the accent make a difference where the emphasis is like in Spanish, or does it change the pronunciation at all? I'm very interested in other languages and Irish/Scottish Gaelic has always been a fascination of mine.

Our Icy Affection wrote:Is it pronounced as Lay-Push? or La Push, as in la la la, as it is spelled?

i thought Aro was like arrow when you're talking in english. when you're speaking in italian, i don't think they have the "arrow" sound, so they say ahro. am i right?


La Push is pornounced Lah Push, like singing Deck the Halls (fa la la la la la la la la). And you are correct about Aro. If you say it with an American English pronunciation, it's said like arrow, but if you say it with an Italian pronunciation, the a is said like the a in father.

clariissaa wrote:I always thought Leah was pronounced Lay-ah because that's my friend's name
Then I heard SM say Lee-ah and I was like "Who?"
And Siobahn is said like Shiv-awn? whhaatt?


I say Lay-ah because I'm a huge Star Wars fan (even though Princess Leia is spelled differently) and I know a Lay-ah with that spelling as well. However, now that I've been around my friends so much, I say Lee-ah now because I hear them say it that way all the time.
Image
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
User avatar
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:48 pm
Location: In the State of Ignorant Bliss

Re: Pronounciation Key

Postby Analisse » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:20 pm

Alphie wrote:I say You-lee for Uley.

And I say Nah-HUE-el for Nahuel. When in doubt, I go with the obvious.

However, I hope I'm not the only person this totally clueless out there. Siobahn is pronounced Sha-Vaun. Pel had a good laugh at me over this one, so please speak up if you didn't know that was how it was pronounced!


Nahuel, the pronounciation is like is written (I speak Spanishe and this name is really commun where I live)
Image
User avatar
Analisse
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:50 pm
Location: With Edward

Re: Pronounciation Key

Postby FreckleFacedGirl » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:35 am

Wow, now the name siobhan is really gonna bug me... I'll probably still be saying see-o-bahn for awhile! LOL
What about huilen? I really just don't know about that one. Is it hwee-len or hoo-ee-len?? I've got no clue
Btw- why were huilen and nahuel not listed in the vampire index?
FreckleFacedGirl
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:30 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Pronounciation Key

Postby BeautifulVeins » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:58 am

This one has been annoying me- how do you pronounce Kaure?
Is it Ko-ray? Or Kaw-ray? Kor-ri?
I could go on, but I'll just embarrass myself further. hahah
"I was thinking, while I was running..."
"About not hitting the trees I hope."
User avatar
BeautifulVeins
Buying a Better Raincoat
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Pronounciation Key

Postby vamp na hEireann » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:59 am

jenni_elyse wrote:

vamp na hEireann wrote:
There's meant to be a line above the a in Siobhán like that but it only makes a difference if you understand the basics of Irish so...yeah.just a bit of useless information.


Does the accent make a difference where the emphasis is like in Spanish, or does it change the pronunciation at all? I'm very interested in other languages and Irish/Scottish Gaelic has always been a fascination of mine.


It is only put on vowels and it changes their sound.á - aw,í - ee,ú - oo,é - ay,ó - o.The basics of Irish are fairly easy but when you start with the future tense and stuff you just get fed up and confused and stop listening.I hate Irish but I'm stuck learning it for at least the next three years :cry:
Midnight Sun Virgin!
|----[|██████]=----
ImageTrainee of EDC Inc. Private of Jaspers Confederate Army,Go Stainless Claret! Twilight Mafia
User avatar
vamp na hEireann
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:52 pm
Location: Turning Bill and Tom into vampires.Seriously were did the sun go?oh right...this is Ireland

Re: Pronounciation Key

Postby teamswitzerland » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:07 pm

wow, i'm so used to saying si-oh-bon.
and for Nahuel i say na-well, i noe that's weird but i used to take spanish so i just automatically pronounced it that way. same with Huilen; i say wee-len

:D
i forgot what i wanted to put for my signature.
User avatar
teamswitzerland
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: Forks, WA.........i wish!! Toronto, CA!!

Re: Pronounciation Key

Postby porscheturbo911 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:28 pm

NessieCullen wrote:
Miss Vengeance wrote:Haha, you're definitely not the only one.

I kept pronouncing it See-oh-bon. Talk about embarrassing. It's such a misleading name!


Oh, I totally said it like that too. I heard the MuggleCast interview and I'm like who the niflheim is she talking about?


Ahahahaha! I, too, was so confused when SM was talking about Siobhan! I thought I misread something or skipped a page, or something!

I had to look up the pronunciation for Siobhan on the internet :?.
Image
User avatar
porscheturbo911
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:19 am
Location: zee world!

PreviousNext

Return to Quench Your Thirst

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests